Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Nikon D700?
K-7 has AUTO horizon

09-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
they must have video to compete. all the big names have it in their entry levels (except d3000).
Actually, NO entry camera have video. However, the big names has a model one notch up that offers video. Except sony that is. They don't offer it at all.
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #123
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Actually, NO entry camera have video. However, the big names has a model one notch up that offers video. Except sony that is. They don't offer it at all.
You're very correct C 1000D has LV but no video, also it slows a lot in RAW shooting (1.5 fps for 4 raw buffer! ) no spot mettering, ISO 1600 max. D3000 is basically about the same camera as the early 2007 D40X with a pit stop in D60: no LV, no movie mode but more of a camera than the 1000D, Sony A230 is a dumb down A200 but still more of a camera (and a better value) than D3000. Those big companies neuter their models to fit an artificial value scale in which they must also ponder the last gen cameras that come down in price and are very available in stocks worldwide. Now if Hoya's strategy is what I think it is we will have 3 lines of cameras in between competition's models and not pitted directly against any camera in particular.

K-x (?) - small, light, cute between bottom range and entry level cameras of the others;

K200D' successor - I wish for a hybrid video-stills camera with tilt able LCD, weather seals and SR in body, 14.6 Mp sensor. Sort of a GH1 with OVF and APS-C sensor made as small as possible and with a dedicated lens (multizoom with video capabilities) ready at launch. That combo could appeal to buyers that are into video, the other combo (with dual kit WR lenses) will be a cheaper alternative for people more focused on stills;

K-7 premium mid range camera in a small and rugged package.

Radu
09-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The next round of entry level DSLR's will have both video/live view because the all-in-ones priced just below them do. Right now they crimp the abilities for cost, but mostly not to cannibalize their pricier markets. That's not going to last another cycle of camera development.

09-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #125
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The next round of entry level DSLR's will have both video/live view because the all-in-ones priced just below them do. Right now they crimp the abilities for cost, but mostly not to cannibalize their pricier markets. That's not going to last another cycle of camera development.
Only a minor catch, both Nikon and Sony have extremely new models (entry levels) without those 2 features. Sony 230 (and the rest of the herd since some of the 5 entry level/mid range models have LV of the bad kind, the one that makes the OVF small but no one has video) is just a few months (weeks for the 5xx) old and D3000 just made it to the stores a few weeks back). They shot their bullets and missed. D3000 has the additional problem of needing two VR kit lenses (more expensive) to start with. So "the next round for them - S and N - will come at least one year from now and more likely something like 15 months or so. And D5000 is too expensive for what it is IMO.

Radu
09-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Only a minor catch, both Nikon and Sony have extremely new models (entry levels) without those 2 features.
Right, and both companies (especially Nikon) can use a lower end sans a key feature to encourage upselling to video-enabled models. The D3000 has been roundly criticized for having no video and I suspect it will be a short-term filler.

The EP-1 will come down in price (rapidly) as will Panny's new device and every DSLR cam above $500 will have video. This is the market sweet spot, where most of the $$$ is made. That is why the K200D replacement will need video, be it an upgraded K-M or what. They can still sell a non-video K-M, but the price/value is rapidly declining. After Christmas the Canon T1i will be at the $620 mark, with kit lens, and already be well over 6 moths old. That is what Pentax's mid-range camera will be competing against in feature set and price point. Canon needs to compete with the Tii and D5000. Currently, they are not.

This is the $$$ segment. Make or break sales at Christmas time. Profit margins for the year.
09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #127
Nubi

I wonder if K-7 will seem overpriced should k-x has a video function. Do you guys think that it will drive the K-7 price down a bit?

09-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wonder if K-7 will seem overpriced should k-x has a video function. Do you guys think that it will drive the K-7 price down a bit?
I don't think so. First, K-7 is a power horse independent from the video function. Second, if I look at other entry dSLRs video function, video on a K-m may just be inferiour to that of K-7. Just like a D90 doesn't bring the prize of a D300s down.
09-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
To compete with the D5000/T1i Pentax needs to replace the K200D and K20D. Neither is feature or price competitive, nor can Pentax justify production runs.

Either Pentax has a K-x coming out soon to get into the meat of the market with video, or the K-7 will have to drop substantially, where it would kill those 2 comparative models as well as the D90, on a number of fronts. Right now it is almost 40% over the D5000 and 10% over the D90. If that closed to just below the D90, or 15% above the D5000/T1i, it would be the best deal in DSLR's, obviating the ned for a K200D replacement in the short term. A flagship model can be priced to steal market share from both above and below.

So the K-7 will drop in price if the replacement for the K200D is imminent. If not, it's a crap shoot, at least until after December. At least the K-7 is in short supply and getting excellent reviews. I cannot see Pentax with such a huge hole in its lineup before Christmas.
09-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #130
Pentaxian

I don't think K-7 will drop that much
09-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #131
Inactive Account

Video

Both the cheap and the more expensive camera's have excellent picture quality, so they ought to differ in other features. Video seems an excellent differentiator to me.

And I don't see the need for video in an entry level camera. Many people do not need it -when my kids are grown up, I will be one of them- and so it is normal that not all camera's have it, no? Not all GSM's (cell phones) take pictures (yet), even if it is cheap to add the feature. Video in a DSLR cannot be implemented "for free": (a) the technology is still relatively new, and (b) people will demand *quality*.
09-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Pentax launches K-x entry DSLR with 720p video

check this sites:

Pentax K-X DSLR Leaks, Due To Launch Tomorrow | Gizmodo Australia

Pentax K-x DSLR Shoots 12MP Photos, 720p Video for $650 (And It's Blood Red) - pentax k-x - Gizmodo

Pentax launches K-x entry DSLR with 720p video | Electronista
09-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #133
Nubi

k-7 now seems overpriced. :ugh:
09-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Two new threads on this. Maybe retire this one as rumour only?
09-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #135
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Two new threads on this. Maybe retire this one as rumour only?
It has gone viral. There are 10 or 12 on it now!