Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #76
Veteran Member

This discussion says Sept. 17

if I can make out the babelfish translation Übersetzung für http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=549526

If an intrepid German speaker on the forum can clarify what is said here we might (or not) know something from this. Probably just more junk rumors, or not?

09-12-2009, 03:11 AM   #77
Inactive Account

K-m like housing, no top LCD, and it has LiveView. We will find out more next week.
I hope LiveView is possible on an AA-powered camera, otherwise I'll grab the last K-m.
09-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-? launching Sep 17

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
If an intrepid german speaker on the forum can clarify what is said here we might (or not) know something from this. Probably just more junk rumors, or not?
I had read this info too (it appeared on a second German forum too) and wanted to post here. solar1 was faster

The information is reliable as the full source was disclosed: A shop exhibition at one of the better known German retail stores with Pentax presence:
Foto Erhardt in Westerkappeln, event link: FotoFachTage - IFA-Neuheiten zu Foto Erhardt Preisen

A poster was shown teasing K-x (where x is going to change). It was said to be the K-m successor (not K200D), no top LCD, "obviously" live view, "likely" no weather sealing. "It" was a presenter from Pentax.

Quoted statement from the Pentax presenter:
"Just believe me, Pentax has listened to its customers and realized a lot of wishes. It is going to be a big hit at an insanely good price."

Conclusion:

- With 90% likelyhood:
K-? is a K-m with 14.6 Mpixel CMOS sensor with LiveView and slow contrast AF (K-7 and already K-m have same M-5 processor).

- With 75% likelyhood: The sensor will have 2 channels (read: the original K20D sensor) which means no video

- Unlikely but possible:
Tilt and swivel display (no weather sealing but listening to wishes, remember?), probably still 230kDots.

As it must fit between street prices of K-m/K-2000 (400€) and K20D (700€), I guess it is targeted for a street price of 550€ (make it $ if you like ).
09-12-2009, 04:04 AM   #79
emr

I don't own a K-m and haven't really followed discussions regarding its ins and outs, but if it'll be like Falk concludes and the rumours suggest, I fail to see the point. No WR, no video. Who's going to get one?

09-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Conclusion:

- With 90% likelyhood:
K-? is a K-m with 14.6 Mpixel CMOS sensor with LiveView and slow contrast AF (K-7 and already K-m have same M-5 processor).

- With 75% likelyhood: The sensor will have 2 channels (read: the original K20D sensor) which means no video
Sounds resonable. But - if the low end series gets the 14mp sensor we can't expect one more model between the K-m+ and the K-7 as I see it. 3 cameras based on basically the same sensor (having the same resolution for the spec. driven buyer) would be strange.

I think that the K20 will stick around to cover as a mid priced camera for a while.
09-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't own a K-m and haven't really followed discussions regarding its ins and outs, but if it'll be like Falk concludes and the rumours suggest, I fail to see the point. No WR, no video. Who's going to get one?
It will be the entry class camera with the highest resolution. That alone will make a difference
09-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
It will be the entry class camera with the highest resolution. That alone will make a difference
Isn't the Canon 500D/Rebel Ti1/Kiss X3 entry-level ? It has 15.1MP and 1080p video @ 20fps (720p @ 30fps). Then again, it is about 50% more expensive than the current K-m.

I'm really curious to see what feature the new "K-X" will have, and how Pentax will position it in the market.

09-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #83
Veteran Member

I couldn't care less for either feature. Or rather, both are nice but not deal breakers.

If the K-x is smaller than the K-m but upgrades the feature set to match the K20D, then I will seriously look at it. It might also have the improved auto-focus and quieter shutter. I don't see why it couldn't manage all that, since the K-7 will still be at the top of the line with both weather seals and video for those who care.

A K-x that's a slimmed K-7 would be very tempting to me. Small cameras sell. And they leverage the advantage of the less-than-full-frame sensor.
09-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Isn't the Canon 500D/Rebel Ti1/Kiss X3 entry-level ? It has 15.1MP and 1080p video @ 20fps (720p @ 30fps). Then again, it is about 50% more expensive than the current K-m.

I'm really curious to see what feature the new "K-X" will have, and how Pentax will position it in the market.
They have the 1000D (not sure what it's called on the US market) with 12mp and even more plastic feel and look. It's their lowest class camera.
09-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #85
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The name could be K-x.

Remember KX and KM.
Pentax K-Series Film Bodies

K-S or K-L- it sounds not bad too.

If Pentax offer 18-250 WR, it means K-x has WR too.

Last edited by ogl; 09-12-2009 at 08:03 AM.
09-12-2009, 08:49 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Improved AF is likely to me (although less AF points than K-7) but silent mirror/shutter is a no go. It costs a lot to dampen those. Forget it. It may be better than current K-m but as good as K-7 is quite unrealistic.
09-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Despite popular belief, not everyone is bothered about video on a DSLR.
WR, yes.
Saying that, I have a K10. Whilst I rave about having a WR body, I don't have any WR lenses...yet.
Unfortuantely, size is kinda important for me.
I've tried the K-m, think it's a great little camera...but, just a bit too little.

It's proved a good seller, and I think there's definite potential for a replacement.
The tilt screen would be useful. Live view, too.

Looking forward to it's announcement.

Falc, thanks for the translation!
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #88
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Despite popular belief, not everyone is bothered about video on a DSLR.
Certainly not everybody. But what is this new camera body bringing to the race in that case? Just a few more pixels compared to the K-m? And most of the people who buy entry-level DSLRs will compare the specs and drop Pentax in favour of cheap CaNikon just for that, no matter if they're going to use the feature or not. And while most people don't really need WR, that's a feature that could've made a difference over tha competition.
09-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I don't want to bump the "Is this picture of K30D?" thread ...

But if I remember correctly, one of the early K-7 rumors quoted three cameras to be in the workings:

1. A K30D early 2009 succeeding the K20D (became the K-7, now confirmed by many )

2. A new entry level autumn 2009 succeeding the K-m (may be revealed Sep 17 indeed)

3. A full frame body in 2010

With 2 out of 3 predictions prooving reliable, what about prediction #3? Nubi? ogl?
09-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Conclusion:

- With 90% likelyhood:
Somebody sent me PM that my 90% likelyhood conclusion is false :ugh: