Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-m replacement, just like the old K-m

I haven't posted for a long time on this forum as I hadn't much to say but here is maybe an information that my interest you.

The French Magazine "Réponse Photo", usually very reliable, have written in his september issue that Pentax would be displaying next month a new DSLR, more or less a refreshment of the year old K-m.

My 50c guess is that it would be a styling change just like what Sony just did whith its entry level lineup.

Regards,
Guillaume

08-18-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If they make it weathersealed, I'm sold. I was planning to get the K-7, but I really don't need video and 5fps. I was planning to get a k-m instead (I like small ) but it's not weathersealed. If the replacement for the k-m is weathersealed, I'm good to go! (K20 and K200 are too big for me. Got a little spoiled with rangefinders...)
08-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

if they make a km/k2000 like the k200 but with better AF and bigger buffer,
i'm sold.
08-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
weathersealed + K-7's AF system + PRIME II + bigger buffer than K200D + the same 10 MP CCD = I like it.

08-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The K-m Super Now with optional battery grip and top LCD.
08-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I doubt that the replacement will use the same AF system as the K-7. I expect to see a new sensor... 10MP CMOS sensor with live view will definitely attract more people.
08-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I doubt that the replacement will use the same AF system as the K-7. I expect to see a new sensor... 10MP CMOS sensor with live view will definitely attract more people.
Heck, I will sell my K-7 if that camera gets a 10MP CMOS sensor as this means that it will be much better image quality wise, so I doubt this somehow

08-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #8

weather sealing please! and CMOS and live view/video would be nice too.
08-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
weather sealing please! and CMOS and live view/video would be nice too.
CMOS, live view, and video is going a bit too far I think. I think Pentax will keep the CCD and release a K-m Super with a battery grip compartment, top LCD, weather sealing, and more AF points with ability to see where it's focusing in the viewfinder. The K-m has only been out for almost a year, they're not going to do a total rehaul of it.

But then again, you never know, they might release a total new camera that not only refreshes the K-m, it could be a total new camera that replaces both the K-m and K200D, or they would keep the K-m and release a K200D replacement. Besides, how would this magazine know much. It won't know anything for sure until Pentax actually releases the announcements themselves. Now all we can do is wait and see, either a K-m Super, or a K200D replacement, or a replacement for both the K200D and K-m which is highly improbable.

I think a K200D replacement is highly probable for what they're going to announce next.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-18-2009 at 09:38 AM.
08-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If they will make it same k-m with five focus points which are noticeable on the viewfinder, bigger buffer, and fully functional liveview, some other minor improvements, it will be a winner.
08-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
RaduA

it is an upgraded camera not a replacement

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I haven't posted for a long time on this forum as I hadn't much to say but here is maybe an information that my interest you.

The French Magazine "Réponse Photo", usually very reliable, have written in his september issue that Pentax would be displaying next month a new DSLR, more or less a refreshment of the year old K-m.

My 50c guess is that it would be a styling change just like what Sony just did whith its entry level lineup.

Regards,
Guillaume
You're quite generous, I only have 2c to spend and they say that it will be the other way around. Same exterior (almost unanimously appreciated) with updated internals because Pentax needs to distribute in volumes the r&d spending they did for the K-7. So my guess is:

- same 10Mp CCD sensor (seems to be here to stay considering that Sony and Nikon just released updated cameras based on it);
- Prime 2;
- same 3,5 fps but much bigger buffer (maybe not for RAW but most likely for jpgs), K-m was on the slow side;
- New jpg engine, maybe 4 stars quality for jpgs;
- in lens correction K-7 style but only for the kit lenses;
- Maybe and very useful for the target audience it will be to have the level indicator in the VF and even the auto-leveling feature would be very popular IMO.
- Same AF as K-7 but with 5 points, selectable this time;
- New exposure system most likely with 37-39 zones;
- Picture orientation sensor;
- Same body, minimal w.s. if any (like the card door and battery door with some protection). They need to keep the camera light and there is no reason they should abandon the investment in the K-m body so soon. Besides if they go w.s. that means w.s. kit lenses and in the end the camera will be too expensive for an entry level;
- 50 grams lighter when fully equipped;
- LiIon battery and that will mean not only incredible endurance but also faster AF (already on the fast side for its class as it is). A really nice feature would be to accept both D-Li90 and D-Li60 thus owners of both K10/20 and K-7 should use their current batteries;
- A few colors at launch available in volumes. Special editions made in thousands and numbered and coupled with Limited lenses of the buyer's choice;
- Same 2 kit lenses;
- 499 Euro kit/599 dual kit.

The end is to provide a small, light, responsive, cute jpg making camera and build on the real success of the K-m especially in Japan and Europe.

Regards,
Radu
08-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
- Same body, minimal w.s. if any (like the card door and battery door with some protection). They need to keep the camera light and there is no reason they should abandon the investment in the K-m body so soon. Besides if they go w.s. that means w.s. kit lenses and in the end the camera will be too expensive for an entry level;
Dunno about this... K10 and K20 were weather sealed and came with a non-weather sealed lens.
08-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't think it will have that many changes as Pentax interviews earlier this year said that it was an update; more or less a facelift. There will be another camera between the facelifted K-m and the K-7 that will see more features from the K-7, including the sensor....
08-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
The K-m Super Now with optional battery grip and top LCD.
don't forget to put back the orientation sensor. no sense removing that in the first place
08-19-2009, 02:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote

Regards,
Guillaume
Confirms the words of Belgian Pentax distributor I heard my self 3 weeks ago: low-end body in september/october.