Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Demo in Vancouver/Lower Mainland

For those interested, London Drugs is doing in-store demos with Pentax reps across the Lower Mainland.

Schedule can be found here:

London Drugs

I'm planning to be at the Saturday, Coquitlam event in the morning. Maybe see some of you there!

Cheers.

08-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Thanks for passing the info on - I'll have to see if I can make it out to one of these

Cheers
08-20-2009, 06:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Wish I could go! Any chance you could ask the rep if they will be on the island?. There have to be 8 or so outlets here.
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I think London Drugs is doing the best job of promoting Pentax DSLR's in Western Canada.

08-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I think London Drugs is doing the best job of promoting Pentax DSLR's in Western Canada.
I agree, in my area (Prince George, BC) all the staff in the camera dept. actually shoot Pentax cameras.
08-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I happened to swing by my local London Drugs yesterday and noticed they had 2 K7's on the shelf. Didn't have enough time to ask to see them but at least I know they are on the shelves.

Looking forward to tomorrow's scheduled demo!
08-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
I happened to swing by my local London Drugs yesterday and noticed they had 2 K7's on the shelf. Didn't have enough time to ask to see them but at least I know they are on the shelves.

Looking forward to tomorrow's scheduled demo!
I bought mine a few weeks ago from their store in Abbotsford. I already knew that I wanted one - I had just been waiting for someone to get it in stock. So I walk up to the counter and see that they have it sitting on their shelf there. I say something to the effect of, "I was lookng to pick up a K-7 and it looks like you have it in stock. Do you think I could grab that with the two WR kits lenses?" The guy looks at me like I'm speeking a different language and has to ask his manager to confirm the gear and the price (that's sitting on a display board on the counter right in front of me). I have to think that they must have put it on the shelf that afternoon or something, and I'm pretty sure I was the first to buy one from that store.

I think my purchase style for big ticket items puts some retail clerks off sometimes. I do all my research before hand, so I generally know exactly what I want to buy. If I need some hands-on I'll do that in a separate visit. I did this when I bought my car as well - I'd test drove it twice at different dealers when visiting friends/family, and then basically walked into my local dealer and said I was ready to buy - love the look on their face when I said that...doesn't give anybody the opportunity to "sell" anything

LD and other stores I checked out, all seemed to have fairly large Pentax displays and Broadway Camera - my closest local shop - also tried to sell me a K20 over a D90 when I was still trying to make up my mind. So it seems that Pentax is alive and well in the lower mainland anyway.
08-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MooiKabaal Quote
I bought mine a few weeks ago from their store in Abbotsford. I already knew that I wanted one - I had just been waiting for someone to get it in stock. So I walk up to the counter and see that they have it sitting on their shelf there. I say something to the effect of, "I was lookng to pick up a K-7 and it looks like you have it in stock. Do you think I could grab that with the two WR kits lenses?" The guy looks at me like I'm speeking a different language and has to ask his manager to confirm the gear and the price (that's sitting on a display board on the counter right in front of me). I have to think that they must have put it on the shelf that afternoon or something, and I'm pretty sure I was the first to buy one from that store.

I think my purchase style for big ticket items puts some retail clerks off sometimes. I do all my research before hand, so I generally know exactly what I want to buy. If I need some hands-on I'll do that in a separate visit. I did this when I bought my car as well - I'd test drove it twice at different dealers when visiting friends/family, and then basically walked into my local dealer and said I was ready to buy - love the look on their face when I said that...doesn't give anybody the opportunity to "sell" anything

LD and other stores I checked out, all seemed to have fairly large Pentax displays and Broadway Camera - my closest local shop - also tried to sell me a K20 over a D90 when I was still trying to make up my mind. So it seems that Pentax is alive and well in the lower mainland anyway.
honestly speaking, it seems there are more and more people getting intrigued and interested in the K-7. also, it shows that most camera stores nowadays are promoting the Pentax camera more. atleast we have something for a change and not the usual Canon/Nikon sales talk.a few people however are unhappy with it, mostly because of the noise or know how to handle it. then just sell it for atleast a couple of hundreds less in the open market. what is once loss is another one's gain. I'm sure there are a lot of buyers wanting the K-7 for a much lesser value. and I'm sure that such bargain wouldn't be left unnoticed and unsold within a day. btw, had you seen that ad where the K-7 was being sold for a 1,000 bucks? damn, lucky buyer !!!

08-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Managed to swing through in the morning to take a look at the K7. Was running a bit short on time so didn't get to really play a whole lot but a few things on the ergonomics and usability side were really nice:

a. camera feels much tighter than my K20D without the grip; it's like all the flab is gone and all you are left with is a lean, mean camera

b. with the grip attached, it's almost disconcerting at first how small the camera feels despite the physical size; I have normal hands so I can only imagine how much smaller it feels in "big" hands. Glad to see the AF button on the grip too!

c. I absolutely love how it feels in vertical orientation with the grip! It doesn't feel like you have to squeeze to hold onto the camera and I can imagine it must feel really well balanced even with a long lens

d. the new Info interface can be overwhelming for a beginner, no doubt, but I like how you are able to quick change almost every shooting-related setting right there without digging around. My first question to the rep was whether if it was customizable (by the user) or not and while it isn't, he said he would include that feedback when he finished his tour of duty

e. the new shutter FPS and level of non-noise gives me instant camera-envy; I tested it out but didn't spend too long with it because of the envy factor

Hope others got to enjoy the road show as well. Checked out the new W80 as well; couldn't help but cringe every time the rep showed off the shock proof feature by dropping the camera on the floor!
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #10

Thanks for the summary of the event! I am pretty disappointed because I just came across this thread right now, so obviously I missed the demo. But then again it might have been bad for me since I have been going on somewhat of a spending spree over the past couple days so I am already in "buy" mode!

And yeah as to the rep dropping it on the floor... my cousin said that once she was at a party and she asked to see someone's camera, so they handed it to her and it was fumbled and dropped in a glass of water! She obviously freaked out but then the guy started laughing because it was waterproof. I think you could play some similar jokes on people with a "shock proof" camera.