Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #46
Nubi

I wonder if there is a such thing as excellence in aesthetics. Just wondering...

08-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #47
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
You exemplify everything I hate about Apple users, X Man.
Oh suck it up, man. You know you love 'em.
08-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wonder if there is a such thing as excellence in aesthetics. Just wondering...
Of course there is. It is not absolute though, and is up to individual interpretation.
08-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #49
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe perhaps innovation in aesthetics...

08-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Maybe perhaps innovation in aesthetics...
I think the new EP1 olypus is that innovation. Retro looks, slr lenses, point n shoot body.
If you really want to compare how this works else where, look at harley-davidson.
From bankrupt in the 70's to a "lifestyle" now. When u buy harley you dont just buy the bike you buy into a club. You get tshirts and bandana etc. That is the real money for them, The extras.

If pentax want to succeed they need not play with the big boys on their ground (or put all their cookies in one jar) so much, they need to become a leica/HD type which stands alone and becomes a niche product.
Cameras like the 67iiD and 645D are those sort of products that canon/nikon dont and never had because they only want to cater to the mass market and they are the sort of product that can also stand alone.

Anyway there is plenty of room for pentax, they just need to muscle in a bit more with something substantial, something that is defining.

Cheers Neil
08-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knumbnutz Quote
If pentax want to succeed they need not play with the big boys on their ground (or put all their cookies in one jar) so much, they need to become a leica/HD type which stands alone and becomes a niche product.
Cameras like the 67iiD and 645D are those sort of products that canon/nikon dont and never had because they only want to cater to the mass market and they are the sort of product that can also stand alone.

Anyway there is plenty of room for pentax, they just need to muscle in a bit more with something substantial, something that is defining.
I think you are correct in your hypothesis. I might add that the K-7 has the making of being an DSLR that could partner very well with the likes of a 645D to define that kind of market niche. Pentax need to round out their line of DA* lenses with additions at both ends and then market to the enthusiast market rather than the plebeian masses. I am sure there are enough of us (enthusiasts) around to support the brand.
08-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I think the new EP1 olypus is that innovation. Retro looks, slr lenses, point n shoot body.
If you really want to compare how this works else where, look at harley-davidson.
From bankrupt in the 70's to a "lifestyle" now. When u buy harley you dont just buy the bike you buy into a club. You get tshirts and bandana etc. That is the real money for them, The extras.

Cheers Neil
Both leica/HD doing quite badly in today's economy.
Not to mention the fact that HD, although a very pretty image, is way behind the competition as a motorcycle, except maybe one watercooled model. Not a good suggestion to Pentax overall IMHO.
BTW I think Pentax is moving in this direction lately, accessories/lenses are more and more expensive and if the trend will continue, they will be more expensive that Canon and Nikon.

08-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #53
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers Neil
Like offering its dSLR customers a Pentax bandana and T-shirt...
08-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #54
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Of course there is. It is not absolute though, and is up to individual interpretation.
You see, if not absolute and left up to individual interpretation, how the excellence is defined might become extremely frustrating.
08-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #55
Veteran Member

You see, if not absolute and left up to individual interpretation, how the excellence is defined might become extremely frustrating.
There are some things that many can agree on. There are other things that few can agree on.

Give "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" a read.
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Both leica/HD doing quite badly in today's economy.
Not to mention the fact that HD, although a very pretty image, is way behind the competition as a motorcycle, except maybe one watercooled model. Not a good suggestion to Pentax overall IMHO.
BTW I think Pentax is moving in this direction lately, accessories/lenses are more and more expensive and if the trend will continue, they will be more expensive that Canon and Nikon.
Yes, but very few motor vehicle companies are doing well in this climate at the moment.
In the states very few people buy their modern bikes, which do better O/S but if you look at stats here in Oz for example, the older style HD bikes take out (on average) 3-4 of the top ten bikes sold per year. People buy them not cause theyre modern but their style.
Lets face it, leica is not cheap, and i doubt if panasonic wasnt using them whether they would be still around at all.
On the other hand Hassleblad arent doing so badly because they have the medium format cameras and the name. They dont have competition. In fact there is still big demand for Xpan's which again is a huge niche that i cant believe no one wants.
This is where i could see Pentax develop. They are the only current big player that has had major cameras in 6x7, 6x4.5, 35, and apsc and they should make the most of it.
I just wish they would make a digital xpan, but thats me being greedy.
Cheers Neil
08-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #57
Nubi

I think it is quite possible that every single camera manufacture on the market will go entirely out of business and that the days of DSLR, or any optic equipment for personal entertainment and amusement, will all be over soon.
08-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I think it is quite possible that every single camera manufacture on the market will go entirely out of business and that the days of DSLR, or any optic equipment for personal entertainment and amusement, will all be over soon.
I think it's possible that a blue whale will materialise in the stratosphere any day soon. But only remotely possible.
08-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #59
Nubi

We all will have to find ourselves new hobbies.
08-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
....that's what a wife is for...
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe that's why mine drives the Subaru.
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
You're wife is a lesbian?

Well, I suppose that might be interesting if she's open minded...
Nah. She just likes to tweak peoples assumptions.

It was really a blast to see the looks when she pulled up at a Lacrosse game with kids in the seats, groceries in the back, a Yakima rack on the top and a W04 sticker on the rear window.

We just appreciate good engineering. Kinda like Pentax.