Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #76
Damn Brit

I'm in no rush for a new camera, I'm going to see how the k-7 works out on price and reliability but after that, my next camera won't automatically be Pentax. It's not so much the product but the company itself.

08-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I'm in no rush for a new camera, I'm going to see how the k-7 works out on price and reliability but after that, my next camera won't automatically be Pentax. It's not so much the product but the company itself.
I totally agree.Hoya just does'nt seem to get it. The product is superb,and prices competitive compared to other brands.Lack of marketing is what is killing pentax.
08-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'd settle for:
  • One new camera now, another new camera at the beginning of next year.
  • Drop the price of the K-7 down to $1,100 or so in the U.S. so it's clearly cheaper than this new crop of $1,800 - $2,000 cameras (make corresponding drops in other countries.)
  • A few new lenses

I think this would set Pentax up pretty well for a good Christmas. Sony, Nikon, and Canon are going to be battling it out at the top and in the bottom of the price range, which leaves some nice breathing room in the middle. They just have to do something, if nothing else, to prove to consumers that they're still kicking.
Well, it's not as if Canon and Nikon have no offerings in the ~$1000 segment. On one side, they have the 500D and D5000. On another, they have the 50D and D90. While the K-7 compares favorably with any of these cameras, the Canon and Nikon name cachet will make it harder for the K-7 to be noticed, so I hope Pentax spends more on marketing.
08-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #79
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax has two models. An entry level and an advanced enthusiast.

The only confusion I see is Pentax not able to concurently have more then two models in production.
K-m isn't shipped to shops anymore. K-7. It's ALL.
K200D is very rare to buy. K20D is still in shops somewhere. But it's history now.

08-28-2009, 01:25 AM   #80
Veteran Member

My brother recently switched from Pentax to Canon (400D) and is now upgrading to the 5D. While he was in the camera shop he had a look at the K7 and couldn't beleive how small and light it was....BUT, he saw that a a complete negative. Now in that respect I have to agree with him, as I prefer a camera the size of the K20 (which I have) and would not want a camera any smaller, for me it is ergonamically perfect. Now there must be lot of Canon and Nikon users out there who also think this way (rightly or wrongly). This is one of the main reasons I didn't get the K7 (plus who wants video?). Don't get me wrong, I love my K20D, it is indeed a very fine camera. However if Pentax (Hoya) do not produce a FF sensor camera within the next 12 months or so I will definately be in the market for a 5D.
08-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #81
Veteran Member

If the K-7 doesn't feel heavy enough put a battery grip on it LOL.
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
My brother recently switched from Pentax to Canon (400D) and is now upgrading to the 5D. While he was in the camera shop he had a look at the K7 and couldn't beleive how small and light it was....BUT, he saw that a a complete negative. Now in that respect I have to agree with him, as I prefer a camera the size of the K20 (which I have) and would not want a camera any smaller, for me it is ergonamically perfect. Now there must be lot of Canon and Nikon users out there who also think this way (rightly or wrongly). This is one of the main reasons I didn't get the K7 (plus who wants video?). Don't get me wrong, I love my K20D, it is indeed a very fine camera. However if Pentax (Hoya) do not produce a FF sensor camera within the next 12 months or so I will definately be in the market for a 5D.
Well, each to their own. I lugged a Canon F1 around Europe for 3 weeks and switched to a Pentax LX on my return; have shot Pentax ever since. I was a bit disenchanted for a while with the Z/PZ series that were innovative (hyper program and built in flash) but large by comparison to the M & A series that preceded it. The *istD was nice and compact but The K-10/20 were getting a bit obese so glad to see a return to form with the K-7.
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #83

My most powerful flash setup is heavy and combined with K20D + grip and 17-70 zoom it's a hefty load to carry for extended amounts of time. The K-7 being lighter sounds good to me.

08-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #84
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some guys want a truck, but then complain endlessly about the poor gas mileage.

Market share will depend largely on size—smaller = more sales. This was true in the 1960's (Rollei) and after, when 35mm really took off as form factor shrunk.

The FF sensor market is teeny tiny. High margins and some R&D drivers, but not large enough to swing the popularity needle.
08-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Why does anyone really need a Full Frame Camera?
08-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Why does anyone really need a Full Frame Camera?
If you want to capture pro quality images, print big, have plenty of headroom for PP and cropping then you need a FF 20+ megapixel camera. I would prefer to get to that stage with Pentax but if they aren't going to come to the party I will eventually go elsewhere. I certainly will not be investing anymore $ in Pentax mount lenses until we know what is going to happen.
08-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #87
ogl
Pentaxian

FF is not automatically PRO QUALITY.
The quality of images could be even worse than APS-C.
As for noise - only 12 MP FF cameras have an advantage over APS-C in terms of noise.
08-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #88

Original Poster
I think its a great idea that pentax is going in this direction.I do a lot of backpacking and I want to pack a camera thats light , weather resistant,and built like a tank.
08-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think its a great idea that pentax is going in this direction.I do a lot of backpacking and I want to pack a camera thats light , weather resistant,and built like a tank
Hey thats what I told him! But each to their own I guess.

QuoteQuote:
FF is not automatically PRO QUALITY.
Don't know about that...most FF cameras I am aware of would be definately be classed as pro quality..if you aware of any that are not please enlighten me!
08-29-2009, 02:43 AM   #90
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't know about that...most FF cameras I am aware of would be definately be classed as pro quality..if you aware of any that are not please enlighten me!
Depends how you see quality. Image quality? Features quality? Build quality? Performance?

On features/Build, it is clear to me that a K-7 beats a 5dII hands down. Performance/image quality will go to the 5dII I guess.

The 5D concept is mostly (not only hopefully) a 50D with FF inside and a couple adds. Doesn't make it attractive, hell yes. Does it make it a pro camera? Hell no. Is there even any 'pro camera'?

Aaah short question but long debate IMO.