Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Full frame is something that is wanted by those who frequent this forum, but is wanted/needed by many fewer in the general population. My brother recently got a Pentax K2000. He is blown away with it (only really used P&S before). I could see him maybe getting one or two lenses at some point, but he is never going to be willing to drop even a thousand dollars on a camera -- that's an awful lot of money for most people.

If five percent of current Pentaxians moved to full frame camera (if it was available), which seems high to me, Pentax would have to price their camera really high to make up the difference. They have to build a base of users, before they can really think about releasing a high end product.

08-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #92

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me that FF is a viable option for consumer choice. Think about all the reduction in confusion over lens multipliers...I know some individuals that bought FF CaNikons just so things seemed more like "normal" to them because they were familiar with 35mm.

My only concern is "backward compatibility" of DA lenses with FF sensor cameras. Nikon appears to have allowed that option for their lenses while Canon has not. (Canon EF-S with extended back element can damage the mirror on FF cameras)
I hope Pentax makes the DA lenses usable as "AFS-C center cropped" lenses on potential future FF cameras.
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
It seems to me that FF is a viable option for consumer choice. Think about all the reduction in confusion over lens multipliers...I know some individuals that bought FF CaNikons just so things seemed more like "normal" to them because they were familiar with 35mm.
Frankly I doubt the average soccer Mom or other users of entry/consumer grade DSLR cameras give a damn about lens multipliers, or are even aware of what that is. Most have a lens or two and think in terms that this one is my regular lens and that is my telephoto ...ask them the focal length, and they may not even know that.
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
It seems to me that FF is a viable option for consumer choice.
Define "consumer".

The current price point for all FF DSLR's makes up only 2% of all sales. Given that these are often high-use, quick turnover pro users in there as well, with tax write-offs for depreciation, this magnifies what is actually bought at the "consumer" end.

It's not available because it's not economically viable. And it's not economically viable because the consumer $$$ to buy it isn't available.

08-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Frankly I doubt the average soccer Mom or other users of entry/consumer grade DSLR cameras give a damn about lens multipliers, or are even aware of what that is. Most have a lens or two and think in terms that this one is my regular lens and that is my telephoto ...ask them the focal length, and they may not even know that.
Oh, I think they notice when their 18mm shots aren't looking that wide and find out what they have to spend to get a true, decent, rectilinear, wide-angle lens.

Regards,
Mike
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Ok lets put it this way ... Pentax Makes a full frame camera i seriously doubt i would buy it because i would just be VERY limited to the kind of lenses i could use. I would have to sell all my current glass anyway because non of it is full frame.