Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
future of pentax

I read this article in reuters.Hoya is looking for a major player to keep pentax alive,otherwise their future is in question.

08-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

*sigh*

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/70307-hoya-interview-m...it-2010-a.html
08-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Hey Dude, read the previous thread...
08-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

OK, sorry....TWO threads ago...

08-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

Oh Boy !

Here we go again, the old question - is (blank) dead ? Sometimes I just wonder !!

wll
08-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I also don't like those doom'n'gloom postings, but honestly I myself am a little concerned about Pentax. Here in Vienna/Austria there is less and less Pentax. My favourte store told me that they are not sure if they will stock Pentax any more because there is no Pentax rep in Austria and no customer service. If something has to be sent in it goes to France now. It is a pity, because I like Pentax and have a lot of gear. I am not brand loyal, I just hope that the K-mount won't vanish. Indeed I would be satisfied with FF Samsung.
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

yeah, pentax is doomed ! again!

08-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One word.

Apple!

(ducking for cover)
08-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Apple!

(ducking for cover)
Are you saying Hoya buying Pentax is analogous to Bill Gates dragging Apple out of the hole?
08-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Blue, mate - for all our differences, you rock.
08-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Are you saying Hoya buying Pentax is analogous to Bill Gates dragging Apple out of the hole?
Oh boy...

Gates did no such thing.

Microsoft entered into an agreement with Apple to dispense with a couple of ongoing lawsuits filed by Apple against Microsoft. First in 1988 for misuse of Mac GUI elements in upcoming Windows versions. Apple had previously licensed GUI elements in it's Lisa OS to Microsoft for use in Windows 1.0 . That case was largely dismissed over a protracted period of time. However, in 1995 Apple sued Microsoft again, claiming code from the Window's version of Apple's Quicktime were stolen and placed into several of Microsoft's media programs.

Business | Apple Sues Microsoft, Intel Over Video Software | Seattle Times Newspaper

Microsoft agreed to the purchase of $150 Million of non-voting shares of Apple stock in 1997. In addition Microsoft agreed to continued development and releases of Office for Mac. In return, Apple agreed to drop the latest lawsuit, ship Mac OS with Internet Explorer for Mac as the default web browser and the two companies agreed to work towards future cooperation in various areas.

Apple was about to welcome Steve Jobs back from exile and it was Jobs who arranged this deal as a win-win for both entities. Apple wasn't doing great in 1997 due to losses stemming from the ill advised licensing of Mac OS to several Mac clone makers. Apple via Jobs worked to buy back those clone licensing rights.

However, Apple had over $ 1 Billion in cash on hand at the time and the $150 Million was more a "vote of confidence" in Apple [for public perception] and a settlement of those lawsuits, rather than the often, falsely claimed "bailout".

$150 Million was pocket change to Gates and again Apple had $ 1.2 Billion in cash. The far more important aspect penned by Jobs was the 5 yr commitment to produce Office for Mac OS in order to calm the 8 Million Mac users running Office at the time.

Microsoft to invest $150 million in Apple - CNET News

Jobs had come back to Apple through Apple's purchase of NeXT Computer inc. and had brought the NeXT OS Mach Micro-Kernel with him. That mico-kernel is the higher brain in Mac OS to this very day.

Microsoft did not pull Apple out of the hole. Steve Jobs did.

Regards,
Mike

we now return you to you regularly scheduled thread...
08-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
Banned

08-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That MS deal was very good for Apple. I remember it well. The TIME magazine cover expresses aptly what it meant at the time.

MS has had a long history of good relations with Apple. People forget that and only see bad in the relationship.
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That MS deal was very good for Apple. I remember it well. The TIME magazine cover expresses aptly what it meant at the time.
Yes, the deal was good for Apple. No doubt about it. However, it was not a "bailout" or a "rescue". It was a settlement of lawsuits.

Besides, the quote on the Time cover, doesn't match the version of the quote inside the magazine.

"Thank you for your support of this company. I think the world's a better place for it."
STEVE'S JOB: RESTART APPLE - TIME

I think that's different. I think that "If it bleeds, it leads...." Pinning the "Saving" tag on Job's quote after cutting the quote up in the first place is sensationalism. Pure and simple.

$150 Million dollars would no more have "saved" the Pontiac division of GM. It was a token amount and not a gift or loan.

Regards,
Mike
08-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hurray Apple!

now lets talk about Subaru!