Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Is this the Pentax News and Rumours forum or what?
Nah...he'd rather talk about the 17TS lens because, clearly, it's awesome enough to mention in 5 posts on one page
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

But thats just me as I own three brands, though I am really considering letting all my pentax go bye~bye
Can't say I'm happy to see people leave Pentax...often. Bye~bye.

08-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Now I read that Canon may release both the Canon 60D and the Canon 7D? Holy cow, how many camera models does one company need?
Enough to fragment the market so much that no other brand can generate enough units to make a profit.

Plus 1.

Companies with capital to spare punish their weaker competition in difficult economic times to gain market share. When the economy recovers Canon will never lose all of the gains it makes over the next two years.
08-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Indeed, 17mm TS lens is awesome

Indeed, 17mm TS lens is awesome & thought provoking. I've owned one Tilt Shift lens back when I shot film and never found 24mm wide enough so I sold it a few years ago.

Thanks for allowing me an opportunity to mention 17mm TiltShift a 6th time

Or is this the 7th time I mentioned 17mm TS?

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Nah...he'd rather talk about the 17TS lens because, clearly, it's awesome enough to mention in 5 posts on one page

Can't say I'm happy to see people leave Pentax...often. Bye~bye.
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I bought a K20D over a 40D because it disn't have sealing, and that holds true for the K-7 V 50D (odd omission seeing as otherwise the 50D is a 'pro' body, being mag-alloy and all...)
Strange since K-7 is mag-alloy as well.

09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Is this the Pentax News and Rumours forum or what?
I actually found the info on the news from Canon interesting. I see it as very minutely spec’d to close the cracks/gaps in the Canon lineup. The K7 could lie very comfortably in the things that were not currently offered, till this Eos 7D came.
Now 100 % VF, instead of 95 % frame coverage in the Eos 50D. Sealing like the Eos 5D Mark II. New sensor with higher MP, when DPr didn’t give top marks to the Eos 50D. Better video, for those that like that, etc.

So as others have mentioned, it looks like Canon is trying to over-saturate the market. So eventhough they might be hurting themselves, the rest will be hurting with them. And others might be less determined.
Or maybe they will just be giving up the APC-H crop line, bringing out this new Eos 7D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
$400 more for 17mm TiltShift versus 24mm TS II seems like a better value to me

I usually like to wait for prices on new issue gear to settle out some. But 17mmTS has been backordered everywhere since day one so it may sit at $2500 launch point for a while or longer. I figure I could trim the image I get from 17mm to serve any other focal lengths. Plus I've read it remains acceptable when paired with Canon's 1.4x TC II, which I own already. 17mmTS a stunning lens & smaller in real life than I assumed it would be even though I read up on its specs. Close focus is about 5 inches ! So you could say it serves a macro function too.

Canon Rep confirmed that more off the wall lenses are due from the new lens design group canon formed. I read of this new design group at Canon when they announced 17TS and 24TS II. The Group's creation was response to Nikon's stellar 14-24mm 2.8. Which is also an incredible lens, I know as its the first Nikon lens I bought new w/ my D700 ,my first nikon camera, in Jan 09. The Nikon ultrawide completely squashed my need/desire to purchase a 14mm II, which is pretty darn pricey compared to the Nikon ultrawide zoom. Well back in January 09 it was a big difference, but in the months since I got mine the Nikon zoom is up a bit over $500. Having two brands is handy, three is becoming a crowd after testdriving the Canon Reps 17mmTS.

Nice thing about gear, buy it right, treat it right, & recoup most of the outlay & you then get to spend the same coin again on something else.
Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear about Canons response to the offensive style lately from Nikon, both in the D700 and other cams, plus the great new Nikkor lenses.

And now Canon is coming out with new Tilt & Shift lenses also. You've got quite a line-up
09-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

No 17mm TS for me yet.

No 17mm TS for me yet. I'm still considering it. $2500 is alot of money for one lens, newly issued, seriously backordered and thus, with no reduction in price yet.

Canon 50D vs K-7 maybe an outdated comparision now. I assume people wanting a 50D will instead add some money for 7D announced yesterday. I still prefer Pentax K20D over aps-c canon and nikon. My K-Mount stuff is handy to keep around having K20D & K Mount glass available is a great option but I do think of it all as a ATM type money machine from time to time. Well, If I were to cash~out of Pentax

I feel Canon should have offered K7 instead of 50D. 50D was outspec'd the moment it launched by D300 and then by D300s. Theres alot of concern on canon forums about the 18mp outresolving the eos lenses. Should make for interesting reading once 7D is in owners hands. One of my favorite sites is Art Morris Birds as Art. He's been a Canon Pro prior to Eos System, so going on 30 years. I look foward to his images and thoughts on K7 as he loves 50D, and loved 40D:

BIRDS AS ART: Bulletins and Notes Archive

And at T.O.P.S most of the comments find the 7D price too high, as its just $300 shy of Full Frame & inbody shake reduced Sony a850:

The Online Photographer: Canon 7D, $1699

Looks to me the price ceiling Canon just put inplace may kill off canon's premium money they get for aps-h 1.3x due to 7D announcement. If 7D is a winner, then why spend $2100 more for a aps-h 1.3x cropper instead. Dual card slots are a spec I consider makes a camera "pro" as it provides some insurance against loosing must have images & 7D has dual slots.

Other than Lusting after the 17mm TS I am at a happy point where I don't need any more new camera gear. Though the wife mentioned my B'Day is coming and wasn't turned off by the $2,500 price tag after I told her about my local testdrive of 17mm TS the other day. We'll see...

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I actually found the info on the news from Canon interesting. I see it as very minutely spec’d to close the cracks/gaps in the Canon lineup. The K7 could lie very comfortably in the things that were not currently offered, till this Eos 7D came.
Now 100 % VF, instead of 95 % frame coverage in the Eos 50D. Sealing like the Eos 5D Mark II. New sensor with higher MP, when DPr didn’t give top marks to the Eos 50D. Better video, for those that like that, etc.

So as others have mentioned, it looks like Canon is trying to over-saturate the market. So eventhough they might be hurting themselves, the rest will be hurting with them. And others might be less determined.
Or maybe they will just be giving up the APC-H crop line, bringing out this new Eos 7D.

Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear about Canons response to the offensive style lately from Nikon, both in the D700 and other cams, plus the great new Nikkor lenses.

And now Canon is coming out with new Tilt & Shift lenses also. You've got quite a line-up