Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
thats a great point....

08-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How many DX 18-xxx zooms does Nikon need?
08-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The 7D seems a little suspicious. It'd be too close to the 1D (1.3 crop) series with the specs listed. We'll see what -- if anything -- actually surfaces. I'd expect the 60D to be very uninspired, probably just a 50D with video.
08-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Leak is from a 95% accurate source

I think the leaked specs are golden. I spoke with the local Canon Rep two days ago. He was amazed the 7D specs were out already. Got to handle the 17mm TS, 14mm II, 24mm TS II. 200mm 2 IS. Man that 17mm TS is INSANE. 17mmTS is making me rethink owning 3 brands of gear.

Remember this is a semi-pro spec'd 1.6x aps-c dslr, not 1.3x aps-h. Canon 7D is competing with Nikon D300 & D300s & Pentax K-7:

Upcoming Releases [CR3] | Canon Rumors

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
The 7D seems a little suspicious. It'd be too close to the 1D (1.3 crop) series with the specs listed. We'll see what -- if anything -- actually surfaces. I'd expect the 60D to be very uninspired, probably just a 50D with video.

08-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #20

The specs seem plausible.
But the name? I don't get the idea of a two digit specked camera with a one digit name.
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

That leaves Canon with a 1.6x 60D semi-pro camera, 1.6x "pro" camera (certainly pro if it has the AF system of the 1 series), a 1.3x pro camera, and a FF pro camera.

I just don't buy that lineup. Either the 7D is bogus or there's something else that's going to have to change.
08-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sept 1st is next Tuesday

Just 5 days and you'll know... maybe. Rumours are fun and un-reliable until they're fleshed out as facts. The Rep's reaction to me quoting off 7D specs was enjoyable. He was so concerned how I knew of the specs.

Early on 7D was supposed to be a budget model full frame. I'm bummed out its a 1.6x crop body but Canon really has nothing to compete head to head with Nikon D300s. So it makes sense to me.

However the 17mm TiltShift is crazy cool so I have to figure out where to pull $2,499 from to get one. I didn't think I'd get a 17mm Tilt&Shift lens testdrive a couple days ago and I'm sold on it.

That leaves Canon with a 1.6x 60D semi-pro camera, 1.6x "pro" camera (certainly pro if it has the AF system of the 1 series), a 1.3x pro camera, and a FF pro camera.

I just don't buy that lineup. Either the 7D is bogus or there's something else that's going to have to change.

08-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've drooled over the 17 a bit, but the 24 II seems better suited for me. Not cheap either.
08-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

$400 more for 17mm versus 24mm TS II seems a better value to me

$400 more for 17mm TiltShift versus 24mm TS II seems like a better value to me

I usually like to wait for prices on new issue gear to settle out some. But 17mmTS has been backordered everywhere since day one so it may sit at $2500 launch point for a while or longer. I figure I could trim the image I get from 17mm to serve any other focal lengths. Plus I've read it remains acceptable when paired with Canon's 1.4x TC II, which I own already. 17mmTS a stunning lens & smaller in real life than I assumed it would be even though I read up on its specs. Close focus is about 5 inches ! So you could say it serves a macro function too.

Canon Rep confirmed that more off the wall lenses are due from the new lens design group canon formed. I read of this new design group at Canon when they announced 17TS and 24TS II. The Group's creation was response to Nikon's stellar 14-24mm 2.8. Which is also an incredible lens, I know as its the first Nikon lens I bought new w/ my D700 ,my first nikon camera, in Jan 09. The Nikon ultrawide completely squashed my need/desire to purchase a 14mm II, which is pretty darn pricey compared to the Nikon ultrawide zoom. Well back in January 09 it was a big difference, but in the months since I got mine the Nikon zoom is up a bit over $500. Having two brands is handy, three is becoming a crowd after testdriving the Canon Reps 17mmTS.

Nice thing about gear, buy it right, treat it right, & recoup most of the outlay & you then get to spend the same coin again on something else.

I've drooled over the 17 a bit, but the 24 II seems better suited for me. Not cheap either.

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-27-2009 at 08:58 AM.
08-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Is this the Pentax News and Rumours forum or what?
08-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I'm responding to: "pentax canon head to head"

I'm responding to a thread titled: "pentax canon head to head"

The typical "Pentax is great cause Canon & Nikon sucks" are threads I like to contribute a Hands On Canon & Nikon point of view on since I own them too. Full Frame digital imaging is not a mystery to me and we're just back from MesaVerde National Park with only full frame images inhand. Our "twilight tours" of the ruins didn't disappoint as we have many viable 1600 iso captures from our two older tech 5D & we were trading off an ultrawide zoom & wide zoom which really makes sense at a park like MV N.P.

I say Pentax is Great threads make sense to me. But when comparing Pentax to other brands ,well, for me, brings on my comparisions to Canon and Nikon. No? Isn't that a point of a thread like this? Take this thread, Pentax is great cause Canon isn't was published in an article, so now ... Chat amongst yourselves...

But thats just me as I own three brands, though I am really considering letting all my pentax go bye~bye after handling the 17mm Rotating Tilt&Shift Canon Eos lens just some 48 hours ago. Hmmm, Cash out of Pentax? And then I buy the 17mm TS and have some leftover bucks to spare. Intriguing Possibility, Indeed. Makes more sense now than ever before. The wife said "yes" when I brought up cutting loose all our pentax gears last night so its always good to please the Boss Lady since I put her into all the pentax gear we own over the past 9 years. Pentax equiptment is really hers, though I bought it all for her. So getting an easy "Yes" out of her makes things much clearer for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Is this the Pentax News and Rumours forum or what?

Last edited by Samsungian; 08-27-2009 at 11:15 AM.
08-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I'm responding to a thread titled: "pentax canon head to head"

The typical "Pentax is great cause Canon & Nikon sucks" are threads I like to contribute a Hands On Canon & Nikon point of view on since I own them too....
Competition is good ( at least i`d like to think so )

I`m holding tight to my K10D and will wait till K-mount FF camera comes out. Just then I`m gonna mount my FA31 on it and take a good walk

This is pure speculation, but we would be able to see how good it stands against 5D + 35/1.4L for example
08-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Agreed

Full Frame K Mount would be a great option for me too. All my lenses except for 2 identical kits are full frame SMC-A 's ,FA's, & some Cult Classic 3rd party K-A 's. All Sweet glass, I'll hate to see'um go. Lots of great images & memories.

But having three imaging brands cut down to two and getting that really nice 17mm rotating tilt shift lens in my bag may rule the day. Somethings gotta go. $2500 for a lens is a heck of alot of dough so, I'll continue to ponder my options. Outright purchase is out so I'll ponder...

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Competition is good ( at least i`d like to think so )

I`m holding tight to my K10D and will wait till K-mount FF camera comes out. Just then I`m gonna mount my FA31 on it and take a good walk

This is pure speculation, but we would be able to see how good it stands against 5D + 35/1.4L for example
08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Holy cow, how many camera models does one company need?
Ask Sony!
08-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #30
Pentaxian

as mentioned previously, K-7 and 50D are very similar in price in australia.

I bought a K20D over a 40D because it disn't have sealing, and that holds true for the K-7 V 50D (odd omission seeing as otherwise the 50D is a 'pro' body, being mag-alloy and all...)

very interested to read the review!