Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #31
RaduA

August numbers are up

??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Short analysis:

- K-m dual kit is 8th for the month - was 19th in July and 20th in June;
- K-m kit is 21st - was 30th in July and 40th in June;
- K-7 kit is 23rd - was 37th in July and 29th in June; IMO the full availability of the kit combo is resolved only now so the next month will tell the truth about its commercial success
- K-7 body is 26th - was 26th in July and 21st in June.

In July K-m as model was 10th with 2.3 percent market share (with 19+30 places) and I (subjectively) ranked Pentax as a brand at 3.5 percent so I fully expect something close to 5 percent in August for K-m and 6.5-7 percent for Pentax.

Radu

09-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's interesting that the K-7 is a winner at MAP Camera, while not selling that much in the BCN ranking. I wonder if Pentax has been carefully supplying the first batches to just a few shops in each country?
I have no insight into how Pentax operates, but I can tell you that there's an enormous difference between Map's clientele and that of Bic Camera and the like (and from that list, I'd say that between them Bic and the other big chains would make up the overwhelming majority of the BCN rankings). Map would of course sell primarily to serious enthusiasts and very much 'camera' people. 95% of its customers would have to walk right by "the biggest camera store in the world" Yodobashi location that occupies most of the neighborhood.

Bic of course operates countless stores in very high-traffic locations (such as the Ginza-proximate stop on the JR Yamanote line) and sells anything (vacuum cleaners, a/c units, alcohol, watches, iPhones, pianos) to anybody and their (pianist) dog. It's not a camera store per se. Just today I heard someone (a serious amateur photographer friend) laughing at their high prices.

Knowing only how the K-m and K-7 are positioned, I am not surprised to see the difference in sales at the two ends of the spectrum for camera purchases.
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Knowing only how the K-m and K-7 are positioned, I am not surprised to see the difference in sales at the two ends of the spectrum for camera purchases.
This is what I meant. It may be that Pentax sells most through stores not participating in the BCN poll. Which may be not true for Canikon. It may be almost like polling Apple sales while ignoring Apple stores.
09-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is what I meant. It may be that Pentax sells most through stores not participating in the BCN poll. Which may be not true for Canikon. It may be almost like polling Apple sales while ignoring Apple stores.
I'm sure that Bic's sales figures exceed all of the Map-like lone shops in the country combined. Bic is the Apple store in your analogy. Or perhaps it would be, combined with Yodobashi.

I don't even know that Map is doing a lot of business period (let alone with midrange DSLR's). The store used to be a lot busier than it is these days, and IIRC they ceded the first floor space in their main building to someone else (a similar move made by Lemon Camera in Ginza). They have a lot of retail floorspace dedicated to used equipment, and at least one good used camera store has folded in Tokyo in the past year. If I were Pentax, I'd have both eyes on the major retailers.

09-08-2009, 03:21 AM   #35
RaduA

Still in top ten for the last week

K-m dual kit 9th;
K-7 kit 26th;
K-m kit 28th;
K-7 body - 30th;
DA 55-300 - 10th in the lens retail top (was 8th the week before)

Radu
09-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #36

It's hard to sell cameras without cameras to sell in stores.

Best places to buy cameras in Portugal (online, in physical store is almost impossible) are pixmania and digiwowo, both stores have only k-7 to sell, no more K-m/k200/k20 .

Its a shame cause in pixmania K-m with dual kit was less then 550...
09-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #37
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by PCoelho Quote
It's hard to sell cameras without cameras to sell in stores.

Best places to buy cameras in Portugal (online, in physical store is almost impossible) are pixmania and digiwowo, both stores have only k-7 to sell, no more K-m/k200/k20 .

Its a shame cause in pixmania K-m with dual kit was less then 550...
The wait is nearly over!

Radu
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
The wait is nearly over!

Radu
The wait for what? Replacement cameras or that Pentax finally starts marketing and selling its cameras again?

09-08-2009, 08:20 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The wait for what? Replacement cameras or that Pentax finally starts marketing and selling its cameras again?
Replacement
09-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
??????????? | ??? | ??????????? BCN?????

Short analysis:

- K-m dual kit is 8th for the month - was 19th in July and 20th in June;
- K-m kit is 21st - was 30th in July and 40th in June;
- K-7 kit is 23rd - was 37th in July and 29th in June; IMO the full availability of the kit combo is resolved only now so the next month will tell the truth about its commercial success
- K-7 body is 26th - was 26th in July and 21st in June.

In July K-m as model was 10th with 2.3 percent market share (with 19+30 places) and I (subjectively) ranked Pentax as a brand at 3.5 percent so I fully expect something close to 5 percent in August for K-m and 6.5-7 percent for Pentax.

Radu
Well I was off a bit and K-m didn't make it to 5% but it was 6th for the month of August with 4.1 percent market share. That's just shy of twice the market share from July (2.3%) and a very good sign of Pentax getting rid of all stock before the little devil K-x will launch.

Btw, K-m dual kit is still in the top 10 on 8th place for the last week (up one place) so the September will be pretty good also.

Radu