Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax no longer considered a brand?

In the latest issue of Digital Camera World (just called Digital Camera in the UK), they have a test of 50mm f1.4 lenses. Guess whose glass is on test and whose isn't? Yup, no Pentax. No FA 50mm or DA 55mm. They tested the Canon, Sigma, Nikon, and Sony 50mm f1.4's. Real slap in the face if you ask me. The FA is still a new and current lens in the line-up, so not sure why they didn't use it or even the DA55 in the test. I was actually considering subscribing to this magazine, as I found a good deal, but I surely won't be now.

08-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Write them about this and post their answer here. Ranting is easy, but actually doing something... Please, you'll do us Pentaxians a favor.
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Write them about this and post their answer here. Ranting is easy, but actually doing something... Please, you'll do us Pentaxians a favor.
Already been done. Thanks for assuming I'm not proactive when you don't know me.

I suggest other send their thoughts to them as well.
08-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Thanks for assuming I'm not proactive when you don't know me.
lol? relax mr. sensitive

08-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Banned

I would like to know the response to your letter. it would be an interesting read.
08-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
wll
Veteran Member

You MUST Play The Game !

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
In the latest issue of Digital Camera World (just called Digital Camera in the UK), they have a test of 50mm f1.4 lenses. Guess whose glass is on test and whose isn't? Yup, no Pentax. No FA 50mm or DA 55mm. They tested the Canon, Sigma, Nikon, and Sony 50mm f1.4's. Real slap in the face if you ask me. The FA is still a new and current lens in the line-up, so not sure why they didn't use it or even the DA55 in the test. I was actually considering subscribing to this magazine, as I found a good deal, but I surely won't be now.
I bet I know why !!!!!!

Years ago, our little company had the best product out in the market, but we did not play the game .... and the game is to spend advertising dollars in the magazines that are doing the article.

We were left out of a huge article in the 1997ish time, when we knew all the writers used our product and loved it.

When we called, the powers to be told use the hard facts and what was needed to be included in the series of test.

I bet Pentax did not advertise much in that mag and might not be playing the game the way the magazine wants the game to be played.

And YES, it is also about the perks you give the writers and editors too, if you don't believe me that's fine, but I know first hand of what I speak !!!

wll
08-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just a thought.. Is the test aimed to be a test of "FF normals"? If so, .. well you know.
08-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So, a magazine decides not to feature an item in which one example is made by your brand and you are going to drop your subscription?

The FA50/1.4, although a great little lens, is not exactly new. I forget now how many years it's actually been out on the market, I think something like 1991 (?). Perhaps they are just featuring new lenses or Digital-specific lenses?

Jas

08-29-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
So, a magazine decides not to feature an item in which one example is made by your brand and you are going to drop your subscription?

The FA50/1.4, although a great little lens, is not exactly new. I forget now how many years it's actually been out on the market, I think something like 1991 (?). Perhaps they are just featuring new lenses or Digital-specific lenses?

Jas
Which was why the the DA*55 was also mentioned as not being included. If you want to get technical, fine it's 55 and not 50. However Canon's 50 isn't new either.
08-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Jas
Can't say the FA 50 isn't still kickin some butt, though. (It seems I've just impressed the heck out of a Canon-shooting newspaper staff with mine, in fact) Photo magazines want to cover novelty, of course, but it's not Pentax's fault if they didn't really *need* a 'digital-specific' fast 50.

We'd probably be fawning over that DA* 55 if the standard weren't so high to begin with.
08-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Jas
I don't have a subscription but was considering it before seeing this lens test. The thing is, if they offer a review of current 50mm lenses, and leave one out, how can I trust other things they review, show, test, list, etc, to be complete and accurate?

Whether the lens is new or not, it's still currently being sold and is something one would consider if they didn't have it yet.
08-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I might write them too concerning the horrible omission. Considering Pentax's reputation for very excellent prime glass in particular and with the launch of the K-7 that has broken into the 10 ten in sales and gained wide acclaim, not displaying the options for all potential buyers is just bad journalism.
08-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I agree, the FA50 does kick butt, I love mine and use it very often. The point I was suggesting is maybe because it's not something that is new on the market or causing much of a buzz, maybe they went with the ones that were more recent releases? Who knows...I wouldn't get my feelings hurt over not seeing a lens in a lineup just because I own that body brand. I own plenty of other brand lenses (and bodies) too, it's all the same to me.

Jason
08-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes. It would be nice, if OP could provide some details, what the test was exactly about.
Is it this one:
Digital Camera issue 89 on sale now!

Maybe they compared ring type AF 50's, top 4 sold 50's or FF 50's as some already mentioned.
You could ask why there isnt Olympus aswell. (They have only ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro listed on their web site).
08-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Considering that issue has a big "full frame shootout" the 50s are probably selected for that purpose. While the FA50 qualifies as FF, Pentax doesn't have a FF DSLR to put it on.