Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Wow, I don't even know if that could be considered a preview, and the camera already left his hands long ago. Looks like from the one photo on the page that he had it hanging around his neck one day, and said oh I guess I'd better snap a few shots. Actually it sounds alot like something I would write, full of personal opinions (except I would say it is my opinion) - which is why I am not a reviewer!

10-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like I said earlier in the thread.......

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
If you read the review of the istD, you might find why Pentax isn't 'jumping at the bit'
to have LL review the camera. Once Bitten, Twice Shy.
LOL and shaking head.

We all know what our 'middle of the pack' cameras can do and enjoy them.
10-08-2009, 05:51 AM   #33
Pentaxian

While the reviewer was more positive towards the K10D in his non-review it becomes quite clear that
  • he is a Canon user who mainly uses the discussion of Pentax products to tell Canon where they can improve on. (That's probably why he never mentioned the horizon correction, since Canon will never be able to do this.)
  • he doesn't write reviews. He writes personal opinion pieces. He should have made that more clearly with his K-7 non-review.
With his background, I wonder why any person who isn't in his position (Canon shooter with sufficient funds) should care about his writings regarding other cameras.
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #34
RaduA

I am a fan of LL but I really think that the Pentax' sweet revenge will come early next year when the 645D will totally smoke his precious Leica S2 on all counts (maybe except available modern lenses at the launch time) for a third of the money or so.

I echo the voices of a lot of previous posters, this was a review not worth posting and not for Pentax' sake/pride/fan base but because it really lowers the LL editorial standards.

Radu

10-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #35
Veteran Member

What a piece of crap "review". It's immediately obvious that he is far from objective, and already has his mind made up from that start. He is a Canon shooter. Why in the world would a reviewer go out of their way to make fun of the name of a 4 year old camera? He spends all his time saying what he doesn't like, and talking about all the ways that it's not a canon, and spends no time talking about the very unique and impressive strengths of the k-7. This is nothing but an opinion piece that was mostly formulated before he even had the camera. With the amount of time he spent with this camera, it is a joke to call this a review. I reviewed the k-7 for a mag and shot with it daily for 3 weeks, often side by side with other cameras. He reminds me of the people at my local camera store, who without ever touching one, already don't like a Pentax, and only care about Canikon. People like this are Pentax's biggest enemy and I'm surprised they even sent him a test model. I would have told him to stuff it. People apparently lok to this guy as a resource, and think he's an 'expert', and then they get 'reviews' like this.
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #36

I fully cosign your view, GeneralBenson.
10-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why was this guy bent upon showcasing the weakness of pentax. allright pentax isn't the fastest in AF or frame rate. but did he ever talk about any of the strenghts like weather sealing, dust alert system, atomatic lens correction, in body SR, in-camera HDR etc. he says
QuoteQuote:
"what is missing is any means of organizing these into a custom menu set so that the ones that you need frequently are easily accessible"
, but doesn't talk about dedicated buttons available.

how many canicon's in this price range provide that? isn't that a USP?

people who read such reviews (first time dslr buyers) would definetly not buy a pentax with all the negative showcasing.

and in-between the review he has a memo for canon, why?
does he include a memo for pentax in canicon's review?

he might be an expert, but i feel he's is biased too.

Last edited by sharathk; 10-08-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: used quote
10-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #38
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I saw the work automatic distortion lens correction of K-7. I'm not impressed. It's work of robot, not human. In-camera HDR in jpeg is useless for me. CA correction is good for DA and DFA. But, it's useless for me too. I have no DA lenses.
The work of dust alert system is mixed too.
WR is good if you have WR lenses.

I like this the post of TheLastMan here
Very half-hearted effort at Luminous Landscape on K7 review [Page 3]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

10-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I saw the work automatic distortion lens correction of K-7. I'm not impressed. It's work of robot, not human. In-camera HDR in jpeg is useless for me. CA correction is good for DA and DFA. But, it's useless for me too. I have no DA lenses.
The work of dust alert system is mixed too.
WR is good if you have WR lenses.
Mmm and what exactly is the link with the present thread, Ogl?

Don't tell me you wanna replace RH, whining about Pentax in every thread?
10-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'd say he's already accomplished that. Gee-sus, it's just a camera. I've never heard such whining in my entire life. If you don't like it don't buy one. Very few products are made to custom suit individual customers. There's always another brand if you don't like Pentax. Adios.

And that review was pointless.
10-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #41
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Luminous Landscapes has just dropped several notches in the respect they had from me.
Yep. It's the first time I feel that a Luminous Landscapes article is "quick and dirty".
10-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #42
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm and what exactly is the link with the present thread, Ogl?

It's sensible view and rational thinking.

RH is rather strange man,
I tried to explain him that K-7 - one of the best camera Pentax ever made. With the best IQ in RAW between APS-C cameras. It's my firm position.
No results. He said K-m is better.

But I will wait for another Pentax camera. or buy K-7 close to the end of 2010.
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #43

Problem Seems Solved...

He posted his hands-on report earlier:
Pentax K7 Hands On

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
10-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #44

Hm. The impresion it leaves me with are very similar to mine.

K-7 ain't outstanding in any ways, eccept from sealing at the pricepoint. But IMO it's not intended to be outstanding in any special way. It's the whole package that makes it good. K-7 is intended as a remarkably good allround photographic tool.
It is the Subaru of the camera world. I can't see nothing wrong in not pretending it's a Lamborgini. Basically TOP makes the same conclusions, and I can live with that.

BTW. He has a very good point. Customs Menus are way to large. His comment made me realize that the sequence of the Custom functions could be customable. That would allow us to put the most used functions where they are easy to get, at the top or at the bottom, and bury the functions we don't use a lot in the middle.
10-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest problem of the review is that the reviewer does not try to put himself in the position of someone looking at this camera. Someone looking at the K7 is not going to be looking at a D3x or 1D. Those cameras are very different beasts and obviously offer a whole host of options that aren't availabe in any camera company's lower end options.

I get the feeling that he is used to high end cameras and than anything lower just feels uncomfortable to use. In addition, having gotten used to Canon's set up, it is just irritating to use anything else. I understand, if I were to review a Canon, I would probably feel frustrated at times with the differences from my standard Pentax camera.

That said, I think it is an obligation of an honest reviewer to step outside of themselves and try to see things from a different (albeit lower) point of view. Even a lowly Canon XSI may be a good camera for somebody (although I can't imagine for whom).

Edit: My impression is that the reviewer is used to lugging medium format cameras around with tripods and associated gear. Clearly he is not the target audience for this camera. Smaller size, in body shake reduction, good ergonomics just blow by somebody who expects to pack around the kitchen sink when they go out for a "shoot."

Last edited by Rondec; 10-08-2009 at 12:29 PM.