Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #76

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
While the tone of this review seems to be negative, the feeling I got from it was that the camera simply didn't fit him. Like a pair of shoes too small. he often complain about the size of the camera and the controls that are too close together.

Best regards,
Guillaume
Maybe he was in bad mood with Pentax . He had to ask K7 owners a sample to make a review because Pentax did not give him one . He was ironic in some phrases , like ... "In other words, the Pentax K7 is like a middle child who gets lost in the shuffle in a large family, between the cute young ones and the mature and smarter older ones, or the really attractive sibling that garners all of the attention"... I did not like this repport and think they are more competent in landscape technique photography...

10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The silliest thing is your post. To say that Michael Reichmann very unprofessional is some kind of absurd. I hope your photo skill and talent are MUCH better than MR and you are the best tester in the world.

It's NOT REVIEW. It's HANDS-ON.

Try to learn to respect another point of view, first of all.
You seem to be missing the point completely, sir. M.R. publishes a blog which is widely acclaimed and well-known in photographic community. Anyone who comes to this web site can be considered as a customer. I for one, have bought certain things from L.L. and in fact I am a customer of M.R.

As such, I am entitled to any opinion about any material that is published on that site. There is no disrespect in being in disagreement with what M.R. published in any of his web site articles. In fact, there is no any disrespect whatsoever in expressing that disagreement in the same media as M.R. is using, that is internet - the blogs, the forums and so on.

So, I suggest you accept the fact, that although you agree with M.R. (and it is your right that cannot be taken from you), some or even many others will not agree.

Even the greatest of them sometimes screw up badly. That's life.
10-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #78
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
MR
"I've received more emails in the last two days mainly agreeing with my assessment than disagreeing"

The best reviewer - who pouring golden syrup and honey words about K-7....?
It's boring....

Is it really outstanding camera? For some pentaxians - yes. For a lot of users of another systems - no.
10-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
MR
"I've received more emails in the last two days mainly agreeing with my assessment than disagreeing"

The best reviewer - who pouring golden syrup and honey words about K-7....?
It's boring....

Is it really outstanding camera? For some pentaxians - yes. For a lot of users of another systems - no.
is this the first time that MR made a Pontius Pilate stunt?

from what it seems obvious, the more you try to defend yourself, the more it validates your guilt.

I'm not sure that there are some public outcries or comments made public on the website, like a shout out or anything posted right there. but if none exist, I believe it's better for MR to keep those in private. why would he post something like that on succession if there wasn't a significant number of complaints on the emails that he received?

in every action, there is always a significant reaction. therefore, he is still receiving a lot of complaints as much as he publicly say that a lot of people affirm to his evaluation. he could not be aware that this could infuriate some people further rather than pacify.
too bad, he's not that good in handling damage control.

from what it's worth, I think MR is much concerned about his image rather than the camera's image that he supposedly evaluated. of course, it's his opinion and he is entitled to it. but there's no denying that he made a poor job on his evaluation.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-11-2009 at 10:19 AM.
10-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me reiterate that my issue is not that MR did not like the camera, it is that he did such a lousy job of his review. His review is so cursory as to be worthless and the only thing that is revealed is that he didn't like the camera from the get go and so he didn't really spend enough time with it to really review it. I understand that it wasn't love at first sight, so be it, but then don't bother with the review.
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #81

What I most don't understand is his failing to see a market or design niche for this camera. I don't care whether or not he falls into that niche, but it clearly exists. With weather resistance, uniquely small size, lineup of prime lenses, built-in anti-shake, etc., there is a clear design strategy here. I'm not sure how one can say with a straight face that it falls in the bland middle of a lineup. I think it's one of the least "me too" DSLRs on the market today. Again, this design strategy/philosophy may not suit the desires of the reviewer, but to deny its existence is strange.
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
MR posted an "update":

"Pentax K7 Update

My Pentax K7 review of a couple of days ago has not been well received by some of the Pentax faithful. I am actually surprised, because I found the camera to be quite competent, and said so. But I also said that I didn't find it a very compelling camera personally, because it doesn't have any one aspect of its design or performance that makes it stand out.

In any event, e-mails pro and con are currently running about 4:1 supportive of my evaluation, and that's by those that have tried the K7, so I guess I'm not alone in the wilderness."

Well I'd say the responses on both here and dpreview forum were almost unanimous against this "review" and depicting above all disappointment. I find it very disturbing that MR chose to hide behind his own fanbase and pathetically claim they represent better the Pentax community. I also find it not fitting for the kind of person I thought Mr. Reichmann to be to not just accept that his so called "review" is more damaging to his site editorial level than to Pentax or Pentaxian community.

Radu
Heh, so the huge outpouring of support from people who have "tried" the K7, means what exactly?

It means non-Pentax shooters handled the K7 in a store for 5mins and amazingly, still would prefer to continue using their current system. Since Nikon/Canon marketshare outweighs Pentax by far more than 4:1, that ratio is meaningless.

Not to mention that a lot of people on LL site will support MR's conclusion because they are fans of the site, it's very clique'ish, that place.
10-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Heh, so the huge outpouring of support from people who have "tried" the K7, means what exactly?

It means non-Pentax shooters handled the K7 in a store for 5mins and amazingly, still would prefer to continue using their current system. Since Nikon/Canon marketshare outweighs Pentax by far more than 4:1, that ratio is meaningless.

Not to mention that a lot of people on LL site will support MR's conclusion because they are fans of the site, it's very clique'ish, that place.
lemme see, what or who do you think are the majority of those so-called supporters? I would argue that those supporters are non-biased individuals. I would also think that those majority are fanboys of a particular system as well as fanboys of LL. of course, Pentax and their customers and supporters are just out of that place but generated enough buzz that it concerned MR too much that he needed to ask for some back-up? oh my... how childish. that is no way of trying to get respect from outsiders by getting sympathy from devoted LL fans. and these devoted LL fans are what we call as credible testers? c'mon, in general, those guys are tainted and tattooed with their brand up their asses.

what the outsiders merely were asking for was to have a careful in-depth evaluation and not a summary dismissal just because the product doesn't interest you.

10-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
lemme see, what or who do you think are the majority of those so-called supporters? I would argue that those supporters are non-biased individuals. I would also think that those majority are fanboys of a particular system as well as fanboys of LL. of course, Pentax and their customers and supporters are just out of that place but generated enough buzz that it concerned MR too much that he needed to ask for some back-up? oh my... how childish. that is no way of trying to get respect from outsiders by getting sympathy from devoted LL fans. and these devoted LL fans are what we call as credible testers? c'mon, in general, those guys are tainted and tattooed with their brand up their asses.

what the outsiders merely were asking for was to have a careful in-depth evaluation and not a summary dismissal just because the product doesn't interest you.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I think you misread me, although on reflection I could have been more specific.

I think the hands-on report was weak and unprofessional, and the 4:1 ratio is meaningless because it would be from users of other systems. If anything, it's a good ratio, because Pentax is outnumbered by a lot more than 4:1 in the market!

All the criticism he leveled at the K7 could be leveled at any DSLR. Canon's snore-inducing xxD range for example.

Meh, whatever. I wasn't a huge fan of that site to begin with, it's aimed more at selling you videos than anything.
10-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I think you misread me, although on reflection I could have been more specific.

I think the hands-on report was weak and unprofessional, and the 4:1 ratio is meaningless because it would be from users of other systems. If anything, it's a good ratio, because Pentax is outnumbered by a lot more than 4:1 in the market!

All the criticism he leveled at the K7 could be leveled at any DSLR. Canon's snore-inducing xxD range for example.

Meh, whatever. I wasn't a huge fan of that site to begin with, it's aimed more at selling you videos than anything.
not really. I was trying to point out my own perspective of the matter. hence why I reiterated the word unbiased support. I wouldn't mind MR to be straight to the point, but to consider his statement equal to that of a review or evaluation is not fitting of the word in itself. I don't think that MR was asked whether he likes the K-7 or not, but rather was asked to do an evaluation of what the K-7 have. what was his answers? he said that the K-7 was in the middle of the pack dslr that isn't unique at all. I find that unbelievable coz I have every reason to believe that it does since I came from another system and pointed out the reasons why I did so. but I wouldn't had certainly noticed the K-7 if I had my eyes closed of those features.

honestly, DPR did a pretty job on the evaluation than MR did. not because it got a positive review, but it was able to illustrate or show the content of what the K-7 is to some extent. as for MR's, well it looks like a highschool cheerleader summoning up her squad for battle because the other squad made her cry.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 10-12-2009 at 09:12 AM.
10-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Another perspective AFTER my initial one earlier

Handle and use a K7 and then go handle and use a Nikon D700 - just for say 30 mins.

I just did and even though I know the K7 is a lovely camera and costs less than a D700 and smaller it would be impossible for me to give a "wow incredible" hands on report for the K7.

The K10D was a HUGE leap forward with re: Pentax and I reckon the reviewer was hoping to find similar with the K7, which he didn't.

Dylan
10-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #87
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are 2 sides of the coin.

The one - MR's opinion. Not pentax fanatic.
The other - Pentax's fans opinion. Which could be negligible.
10-12-2009, 07:00 AM   #88
Pentaxian

You mean, you either hate it or you're a fanatic?
10-12-2009, 07:55 AM   #89
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have in-between point of view.
10-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
MR posted an "update":

"Pentax K7 Update

My Pentax K7 review of a couple of days ago has not been well received by some of the Pentax faithful. I am actually surprised, because I found the camera to be quite competent, and said so. But I also said that I didn't find it a very compelling camera personally, because it doesn't have any one aspect of its design or performance that makes it stand out.

In any event, e-mails pro and con are currently running about 4:1 supportive of my evaluation, and that's by those that have tried the K7, so I guess I'm not alone in the wilderness."

Well I'd say the responses on both here and dpreview forum were almost unanimous against this "review" and depicting above all disappointment. I find it very disturbing that MR chose to hide behind his own fanbase and pathetically claim they represent better the Pentax community. I also find it not fitting for the kind of person I thought Mr. Reichmann to be to not just accept that his so called "review" is more damaging to his site editorial level than to Pentax or Pentaxian community.

Radu
Michael Reichmann is entitled to be unenthusiastic about the K-7, even though it does everything very well and has excellent build quality. Who knows what gets him excited these days? But to claim that his e-mails are representative of actual K-7 users is disingenuous at best. A quick glance at the overwhelmingly positive user reviews on Amazon and B&H is sufficient to determine that his correspondents are not actual Pentax owners. In all likelihood, they are the usual assortment of Nikon and Canon fans who get defensive whenever one of the "off-brand" manufacturers comes out with a camera that just may be better than one of their own.