Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While I would agree that this seemed to be a 'quick and dirty' write up, I can't exactly 'fault' LL. I often like the approach taken by that of a camera user than someone that pores over specs.

Having said that, i do seem to find it a little odd that the size of camera and completely customizable ergonomics did not get more attention. Especially having seen glowing review of the G1/GH1 which fits even smaller in the hand and has less ideal ergonomics (IMHO), but in the end it's what you get used to.

I think a lot of people get caught up in specs over practical application. While I don't argue that I think the D300 has superior IQ and faster AF, I can't bring myself to have to carry it around in a hiking pack, nor have I had many instances where the AF has become an issue (yet). That and the fact that unless printed to very large extremes, those IQ differences are virtually undiscernable. Doesn't make either one a more or lesser camera. I think we all just need to get out and make more images - I know I certainly do...

10-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The biggest problem of the review is that the reviewer does not try to put himself in the position of someone looking at this camera. Someone looking at the K7 is not going to be looking at a D3x or 1D. Those cameras are very different beasts and obviously offer a whole host of options that aren't availabe in any camera company's lower end options.

I get the feeling that he is used to high end cameras and than anything lower just feels uncomfortable to use. In addition, having gotten used to Canon's set up, it is just irritating to use anything else. I understand, if I were to review a Canon, I would probably feel frustrated at times with the differences from my standard Pentax camera.

That said, I think it is an obligation of an honest reviewer to step outside of themselves and try to see things from a different (albeit lower) point of view. Even a lowly Canon XSI may be a good camera for somebody (although I can't imagine for whom).
I completely agree. If I could drive 8 different cars, I would have a truck, a sports car, an off roader, a motorhome, a grand tourer, a shopping car ....

I probably would not need a boring family estate, but since I only have one car and it has to haul junk, do shopping, tour europe, fit in my garage AND not cost me a fortune in fuel, I made my choice accordingly.

When you look very very carefully for such a car, it does impress you just what an amazing engineering achievement they are. Something that is very practical but can cruise quietly at 80 all day, cheap but comfortable and safe even in the corners, can haul serious amounts of stuff yet do more than 50MPG.

To me such modest cars are the true examples of engineering genius. Any fool with a huge budget can make a fast car....
10-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Honestly I wonder why so many people give a hoot over internet reviews. At the end of the day whatever so called qualitative results will always be filtered by the reviewer's personal bias or perspective. There can never really be a truly objective perspective, and I think the LL's half baked attempt of a review shows. How much weight can we give to a first impression when the true test is a long-term user's perspective.
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You insisted

Wait a ,minute, Ogl. You INSISTED as the OP that someone give up a K-7 to help LL write a review of the camera, since Pentax obviously wasn't willing to provide one.

Now you are affirming MR's negatives.

Quit stirring the pot.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I saw the work automatic distortion lens correction of K-7. I'm not impressed. It's work of robot, not human. In-camera HDR in jpeg is useless for me. CA correction is good for DA and DFA. But, it's useless for me too. I have no DA lenses.
The work of dust alert system is mixed too.
WR is good if you have WR lenses.

I like this the post of TheLastMan here
Very half-hearted effort at Luminous Landscape on K7 review [Page 3]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

10-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
To me such modest cars are the true examples of engineering genius. Any fool with a huge budget can make a fast car....
Amen! I've always said that it was a greater engineering challenge to design a Honda Civic than a Ferarri.
10-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Hands on of the K-7 is up!
Pentax K7 Hands On

It sums it all:
"It just failed to light my fire."

Well, we all know K-7 is weather resistant, so it's not the matches, but the wood, that are too wet.

10-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw the work automatic distortion lens correction of K-7. I'm not impressed. It's work of robot, not human. In-camera HDR in jpeg is useless for me. CA correction is good for DA and DFA. But, it's useless for me too. I have no DA lenses.
The work of dust alert system is mixed too.
WR is good if you have WR lenses.

I like this the post of TheLastMan here
Very half-hearted effort at Luminous Landscape on K7 review [Page 3]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Seriously, ogl, if you can't use new Pentax features because you don't have WR or DA lenses, that's hardly Pentax faults, if you ask me.

10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's sensible view and rational thinking.

RH is rather strange man,
I tried to explain him that K-7 - one of the best camera Pentax ever made. With the best IQ in RAW between APS-C cameras. It's my firm position.
No results. He said K-m is better.

But I will wait for another Pentax camera. or buy K-7 close to the end of 2010.
You are no RH. He is totally predictable, you are mostly unpredictable.

It is meant as a compliment.
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote

Well, we all know K-7 is weather resistant, so it's not the matches, but the wood, that are too wet.

Hahahahahaha. Well stated, sir.
10-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #55

I didn't particularly mind the K7 review on LL, except the fact that when I read any Leica review on there, the author continually bends over backwards to minimize any problems and wax eloquently about the massive, but mostly intangible, benefits.

It seems a well rounded, solid camera body doesn't really do it for him, fine. But he's rather inconsistent with other cameras, even ones with hugely glaring flaws get a free pass because they are Leica.
10-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #56
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Wait a ,minute, Ogl. You INSISTED as the OP that someone give up a K-7 to help LL write a review of the camera, since Pentax obviously wasn't willing to provide one.

Now you are affirming MR's negatives.

Quit stirring the pot.
I don't see any negatives. It's MR's position. We are living in free internet space,
not in fascist country.

The problem was
nobody gave to MR the camera for more than several hours.
And it's hard to call it "review". It's just brief impression.

Do you think that everybody should love K-7?

Last edited by ogl; 10-08-2009 at 09:41 PM.
10-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #57

LL's review was like sucking eggs - you have to do it because you were loaned the camera. The K7 is not within their scope - FF and MF digital cameras. LL's preference is FF with long zoom lenses - which Penax does not have.

LL is about #2 on my list of sites to visit and his discussion does not change the status.
10-09-2009, 04:42 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see any negatives. It's MR's position. We are living in free internet space,
not in fascist country.

The problem was
nobody gave to MR the camera for more than several hours.
And it's hard to call it "review". It's just brief impression.

Do you think that everybody should love K-7?
He had the camera for the month. The problem that he says is that he had three other cameras for the same month and he just generally didn't feel like shooting with the K7. I guess he felt obligated to turn something out, otherwise Pentax might not send him gear in the future. Whatever the case, he would have been better just posting a notice "I didn't care or shoot enough to write anything," and then signed his name.
10-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Well, Michael Reichman has made a correction regarding the slow preview being caused by haveing the lens correction turned on. But, he adds that other cameras with that feature do it faster and suggests the K-7 needs a faster processer that would also help with AF.

I am not familure with all the arcane features of other brands, but is there another camera with this feature, at least in this class of camera?
10-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #60
Forum Member

While I generally like Luminous Landscapes (lots of great articles in the essay section) I must say that I am somewhat disappointed by this "hands on". I think its poorly written and does not really account for the true qualities of the K7 (most already mentioned by other posters). Specifically since MR has done those Antartica expeditions where the cameras are subject to extreme conditions (note the failure rate on high end Can*n equipment like the 1D and 5D). He neglected to even mention the cold weather tolerance of the K7 over competitors which can't take that kind of abuse. Imagine going on a Antartic trip (which for most people including myself would be a "trip of a lifetime") and having your camera fail. Isn't that a good enough "USP" for a serious camera user like himself? For what its worth, MR has probably forgotten more about photography than I will ever know. I respect him as a serious and good photographer. This just isn't his best work.

Antarctica 2009 - What Worked