Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Well, Michael Reichman has made a correction regarding the slow preview being caused by haveing the lens correction turned on. But, he adds that other cameras with that feature do it faster and suggests the K-7 needs a faster processer that would also help with AF.

I am not familure with all the arcane features of other brands, but is there another camera with this feature, at least in this class of camera?
D300 AFAIK.

The problem with LL review or not the points or the fact that they like it or not. The problem is that the justification is totaly crap and inconsistent (see other camera reviews).
They should have canceled the whole thing or give the camera to somebody else. If you can't do something becuase you have no time or not wish to do so, don't do it and don't pull s*** out of their *** like that.

10-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Seems that some reviewers have difficulties reading instruction manuals.
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the review was meant to be a disaster even before the K-7 was handed over. it's just too obvious that the person wasn't interested in it initially nor show any enthusiasm of trying to figure out everything about the camera. I would suspect the the writer only took a few minutes before he said it quits.

if you want some real reviews, you can get them from those people who had been holding the cam for a few months now. the positive online reviews are just an icing on the cake. the negative biased ones can be easily identified thru lack of in-depth analysis such as LL had done.
10-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't see any negatives. It's MR's position. We are living in free internet space,
not in fascist country.
It is not as simple as that.

As someone who runs a widely respected site MR has a responsibility to give a fair assessment because readers will assume that that's what they are given.

If some nobody writes an opinion on their blog there are no quality requirements. If a respected reviewer writes a review on their highly regarded website then the review should meet professional standards.

10-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #65
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
MR've answered me.
"the camera simply didn't excite me".
and it's all.
10-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #66
Veteran Member

MR've answered me.
"the camera simply didn't excite me".
and it's all.
see. just as I thought.
10-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Pentax Marketing team should be having a meeting with LL to pull that "hands on" review.

Internet reviews are around for ever and if not properly done can be very damaging i.e. this "review" will be around as long as the site lasts and now under the P section there is now two bad Pentax reviews which can certainly lead to negative branding for prospective purchasers.

Dylan

10-10-2009, 06:44 AM   #68
RaduA

It's getting sad!

MR posted an "update":

"Pentax K7 Update

My Pentax K7 review of a couple of days ago has not been well received by some of the Pentax faithful. I am actually surprised, because I found the camera to be quite competent, and said so. But I also said that I didn't find it a very compelling camera personally, because it doesn't have any one aspect of its design or performance that makes it stand out.

In any event, e-mails pro and con are currently running about 4:1 supportive of my evaluation, and that's by those that have tried the K7, so I guess I'm not alone in the wilderness."

Well I'd say the responses on both here and dpreview forum were almost unanimous against this "review" and depicting above all disappointment. I find it very disturbing that MR chose to hide behind his own fanbase and pathetically claim they represent better the Pentax community. I also find it not fitting for the kind of person I thought Mr. Reichmann to be to not just accept that his so called "review" is more damaging to his site editorial level than to Pentax or Pentaxian community.

Radu
10-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #69

Open Request To Pentax

Please only send cameras to people that have a clue how to review. LL is a popular site, (MAYBE) however I do not see what is there to make people go back. The reviewer is just a twit and ogl defending him is not justified.

He has an opinion yes, however he is very unprofessional, the review was stupid, and his website layout looks like something I would have done in webpage design back 10 years ago. Not someone I would ever associate with for business.

The guy should stick to photography as a reviewer he is a complete failure!
10-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #70
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote

He has an opinion yes, however he is very unprofessional, the review was stupid, and his website layout looks like something I would have done in webpage design back 10 years ago. Not someone I would ever associate with for business.

The guy should stick to photography as a reviewer he is a complete failure!
The silliest thing is your post. To say that Michael Reichmann very unprofessional is some kind of absurd. I hope your photo skill and talent are MUCH better than MR and you are the best tester in the world.

It's NOT REVIEW. It's HANDS-ON.

Try to learn to respect another point of view, first of all.
10-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The silliest thing is your post. To say that Michael Reichmann very unprofessional is some kind of absurd. I hope your photo skill and talent are MUCH better than MR and you are the best tester in the world.

It's NOT REVIEW. It's HANDS-ON.

Try to learn to respect another point of view, first of all.
I didn't read anything unprofessional about mister Reichmann, only they expected more professionalism from his part. Furthermore he happens to say good things about the K-7, not that exceptional ok, but he did. On the other hand I felt that, from his reaction, that he had forgotten that cameras are to be operated with the fingers not with the toes, so that's why it didn't fit him.

Rui
10-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Well, unprofessional would be to say, during a product review (hand on), that you were forced to use that product in order to complete the review (hand on), instead of playing with the much nicer toys you have
10-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #73
Veteran Member

It's NOT REVIEW. It's HANDS-ON...
Is this a joke or what?
You can call it what you want but your desperate efforts to defend LL just results with egg on your face. Whether you want to call it a review or a hands-on, it is really a half-baked shitty effort. Or can't you see that?
10-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
MR posted an "update":

"Pentax K7 Update

My Pentax K7 review of a couple of days ago has not been well received by some of the Pentax faithful. I am actually surprised, because I found the camera to be quite competent, and said so. But I also said that I didn't find it a very compelling camera personally, because it doesn't have any one aspect of its design or performance that makes it stand out.

In any event, e-mails pro and con are currently running about 4:1 supportive of my evaluation, and that's by those that have tried the K7, so I guess I'm not alone in the wilderness."

Well I'd say the responses on both here and dpreview forum were almost unanimous against this "review" and depicting above all disappointment. I find it very disturbing that MR chose to hide behind his own fanbase and pathetically claim they represent better the Pentax community. I also find it not fitting for the kind of person I thought Mr. Reichmann to be to not just accept that his so called "review" is more damaging to his site editorial level than to Pentax or Pentaxian community.

Radu
oh crap, that follow-up neither is helpful in a way and just a silly excuse to validate his claim. the ratio alone seems unbelievable and could had come from fanboys instead of real testers. take note that he mentioned the word "tried" and not used. I highly suspect those people that he said that is the majority that agree with him are impartial, unbiased (non-fanboys) or not made up i or fictional norder to save face.

I couldn't even imagine why he even considered it as an evaluation while it is evident that his so-called evaluation are missing some significant content which makes the K-7 stand-out. his lack of spending some time with the camera and his lack of enthusiasm clearly made it possible to bypass those features. it is rather he just isn't really interested in the camera and made a silly excuse inorder not to look biased.

I'm just wondering if MR had been reading the photomags and the popular internet review boards lately. if his 4:1 ratio of approval is true or even factual. because most that I had seen so far is the opposite of his claim and straight out on his face.
I had never seen a well-known evaluator with less substance or content in his evaluation. I would had to agree with one poster's comment that MR might be having a difficult time reading the manual.
10-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #75

MR is extremely accomplished, and I've always enjoyed reading his very informative site. However, he is human, and we all have our own personal preferences. Since MR practically raved about the K10D, it seems extremely odd that the better in so many ways K-7 wouldn't elicit a similar response from him. They both represent a tremendous price point/feature value... and fare quite well against the more expensive Nikon D200/300. He mentioned that very positively in the K10D review, but not here..... why? What's different now?

To me, there seems only one answer, and he's actually alluded to it several times in this K-7 report. He doesn't like the more compact body. Period. Most of his negative thoughts focused directly on that (even to the point that he AGAIN brought up the smaller *ist). He's used to shooting with heavy kit like MF cameras and the top end C/N stuff and is quite comfortable and proficient doing so (he usually has some comment about shooting with gloves). IMHO when he's looking for smaller kit, he's going for something much smaller like his Leica M or the new micro 4/3rds stuff. That would explain the "middle child" comment, and why he just didn't feel compelled to spend enough time delving into a body that wasn't immediately as comfortable to him as the K10D/20D was. It also might explain the repeated the comment "...it doesn't have any one aspect of its design or performance that makes it stand out" without thinking it through in regards to his K10D comments (or how the new body actually does stand out as being unique).

Ain't no accounting for taste, and the feel of a camera is very personal. It's unfortunate that it didn't float his boat ergonomically, which didn't entice him to spend more time investigating it. Obviously his update is spin... but it's hard to fault a guy for trying to defend himself on his own site. Had he realized the potential of the K-7 with a few great primes, he may have been swayed to post something with a completely different flavor.