Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Salon de la Photo

I hope all of you can come in October from the 3rd to the 7th, so we can hang out and you guys can act as my body guards in case my ex-sponsor at the Canon Booth get a bit out of hand and want to take out their fury on me...

05-23-2007, 06:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I hope all of you can come in October from the 3rd to the 7th, so we can hang out and you guys can act as my body guards in case my ex-sponsor at the Canon Booth get a bit out of hand and want to take out their fury on me...
Dont worry, if i could get there then the way things are looking right now, they will have at least 2 people who ditched them for pentax to take on

Or perhaps they will already be crying in the corner at the underwhelming response to the 40d and 5dmk2
05-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
If they make that, and make it not have a built-in flash, I will buy it immediately on principle. Probably lithium rechargeable cells to further decrease the weight. But what else is there to strip out? I wouldn't want an even smaller/dimmer viewfinder. A smaller LCD, I guess, although these days that's a big selling point. The top LCD could be reduced or even removed (for better or for worse).

They could go all Nikon on us and require SDM, but I don't see that happening.

Sorry, can't help the pointless speculating.
Well, I was thinking of stripping out all the program modes. Having just a simple Av, Tv, M and and perhaps a basic P mode. A back to basics type of thing. I had originaly thought that they could drop the shake reduction feature, but that didn't go over well with the K110D that now seems to be out of production. I would go along with removing the built in flash however. Also in Kepplers article it suggested the AA batteries would be retained.

Seems todays electronic cameras offer overchoice and I wonder how many folks are like me and just stick to some basic modes. I do have the "user" mode on my K10D set up to use when tripod mounted either for macro or landscape photograpy and employing the 2 second delay mirror lock up. I do find that a usefull feature to quickly configer the camera with a predetermind set up that I use often.
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Neutral Density Accessory....
Try non-disclosure agreement.

05-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote
I knew that...
05-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by igowerf Quote

I knew that...

Even I thought it meant... No Deli Allowed

Being Paris, I guess they'll just have to cater in all those cheeses and heavy sauces instead at your next Salon de la Photo meeting.

Larry
05-24-2007, 11:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Fly me over, I will find a place to stay (Ahemm... Fellow Pentax forum members and users, please PM me if you have space on your floor that I can stay while I am over)
will protect you from those canons with my i_m_O_m_i (guns) LOL (gotta love my attempt at a text macho man
Congrats on the show Ben. I would really love to come, but it costs too much and my luck has not been the bast with $$ lately, Seems like everything needs to be repaired and costs big $$
05-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No Probs

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Fly me over, I will find a place to stay (Ahemm... Fellow Pentax forum members and users, please PM me if you have space on your floor that I can stay while I am over)
will protect you from those canons with my i_m_O_m_i (guns) LOL (gotta love my attempt at a text macho man
Congrats on the show Ben. I would really love to come, but it costs too much and my luck has not been the bast with $$ lately, Seems like everything needs to be repaired and costs big $$
I can't wait to see who shows up from these Forums. It will be a gas to meet some of you..Who knows, Uncle Phil may show up as well...

05-26-2007, 05:40 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I can't wait to see who shows up from these Forums. It will be a gas to meet some of you..Who knows, Uncle Phil may show up as well...
There will be:

Steve Jacob, myself and probably a few from the other Benelux countries, I speculate that Wim Jacobs, and Mike + Margret Muizebelt will turn up, plus others. You will probably see Phil and John from Pentax UK as well.

I'm sure Phil Askey will be there, but he may not wish to expose himself!
05-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great News

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
There will be:

Steve Jacob, myself and probably a few from the other Benelux countries, I speculate that Wim Jacobs, and Mike + Margret Muizebelt will turn up, plus others. You will probably see Phil and John from Pentax UK as well.

I'm sure Phil Askey will be there, but he may not wish to expose himself!
Can't wait to meet you guys...Will be there from the 3rd to 7th..

Ben
05-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh, you will...

Can't wait to meet you guys...Will be there from the 3rd to 7th..

Ben
I think this is going to be quite a gathering. Hope so anyway. They are generally a lot of fun.

Although I am expecting a 10MP upgrade to the K100D - a sort of D40x/400D/Alpha competitor - the idea of a stripped down, ultralight 6MP cam does rather appeal especially with a 21mm pancake attached. It would be rather like a beefed up Ricoh GRD. Good DR and low noise (and I assume slightly more amateur biased internal processing) would make this a nice camera if people were not blinded by 10MP marketing hype.

I hope they make one. On the other hand, I also hope the market understands what its for. At <$400 it would potentially go head to head with the G7. Perhaps this is Pentax' crafty new strategy to exit digicams and push SLRs down into P&S price ranges.

I know a lot of old-school Pentax fans would be delighted - I may even sell the P&S and get one instead for those days when my shoulders get tired of hauling the kit bag around.
05-26-2007, 10:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Coming?

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I think this is going to be quite a gathering. Hope so anyway. They are generally a lot of fun.

Although I am expecting a 10MP upgrade to the K100D - a sort of D40x/400D/Alpha competitor - the idea of a stripped down, ultralight 6MP cam does rather appeal especially with a 21mm pancake attached. It would be rather like a beefed up Ricoh GRD. Good DR and low noise (and I assume slightly more amateur biased internal processing) would make this a nice camera if people were not blinded by 10MP marketing hype.

I hope they make one. On the other hand, I also hope the market understands what its for. At <$400 it would potentially go head to head with the G7. Perhaps this is Pentax' crafty new strategy to exit digicams and push SLRs down into P&S price ranges.

I know a lot of old-school Pentax fans would be delighted - I may even sell the P&S and get one instead for those days when my shoulders get tired of hauling the kit bag around.
Will you be showing up?

Ben
05-26-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I want one!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote

I tried my 43mm on a K100D the other day and thought it was just a tad to big to be used as a P & S. Reduce the size of the K100D by 10-15%, add a 21mm to it and I'm in as my P & S replacement.

Regards,
05-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Hopefully

Will you be showing up?

Ben
I should be back from my "special project" by then. I am spending most of September somewhere in the Med with my K10D.....

But I plan to be home by October and will be in Paris.
05-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I may see some of you in October...

Some considerations...
  1. Considering a trip to Africa in October, and I could simply extend my layover in Europe. A one day layover is a normal situation when flying from the US to Africa.
  2. It's as good an excuse as any to travel to Europe! (Not that I consider you good people "an excuse".... )
  3. Heck, it would be nice to meet some folks in person, Pentax or forum members!

Item 1 depends somewhat on my acquiring the FA* 600/4 - work in progress... ... but it is expensive... Otherwise that trip will be delayed, depending on timing, etc. I may have to travel to Japan or China to get mine.

Otherwise it is simply packing and going. I already have enough air miles to fly for free to Europe. I've already booked off the first two weeks in October anyways...

Cheers,
Marc