Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Positive K-7 field review on NaturePhotographers.net

Digital Nature Photography

A nice review by Carl Battreall as he evaluates the K-7 for use on a year-long book project in Alaska.

He takes a very real world approach to the review, pointing out pros and cons without pixel peeping. Some good quotes:
  • So, the image quality of the K7 can produce magazine, book and fine art quality images.
  • The detail is superb and the files show no signs of any aberrations. In fact, the files from the K7 are some of the most artifact free images I have ever seen.
  • If you really need high ISO performance, then you should be reading full frame camera reviews instead.

Best of all he has decided to use the K-7 for his project, so we can look forward to some great shots over the next year that will be posted at Chugach State Park Project

Enjoy!

09-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, great info. And nice shots too.
He is pushing his luck though, going with non-sealed lenses. The pancakes are tightly built, and without aperture ring. But DA* lenses would be better
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
He is pushing his luck though, going with non-sealed lenses. The pancakes are tightly built, and without aperture ring. But DA* lenses would be better
Because of that, I'm assuming he had only the body cap on when he left the K-7 out in the rain for 2 hours
09-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very good real world review. Thanks for the link.

09-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Very good real world review. Thanks for the link.
Glad you enjoyed it. It helped put a few things in perspective for me. I bought a K10D about 2 years ago because someone gave me to old (crappy) sigma k-mount lenses. I've become a lot more educated since then and realized that $50 in lenses was a bad way to select a system. I've been watching the new Pentax models since then to decide if Pentax was really right for me before investing any further. As an outdoor enthusiast, I've liked the direction Pentax marketing has been laying out and the K-7 is the model to make me believe the products will make it happen. It was almost like the reviewer was talking to me when he said:

"But if you don’t already have an investment in a system and are looking for an SLR camera for backpacking and climbing photography, then the K7 can’t be beat."

Unfortunately, the quote begins with "I can’t imagine anyone selling his or her Canon, Nikon or Sony gear to switch to Pentax.", but I can't worry about everyone else- just gotta buy what makes sense for me.
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentax claims the camera is weather proof, so I let it sit out in the rain while I sat in my tent reading the manual, two hours later the rain stopped and the camera worked fine.
Love it! Pentax = All Weather!
09-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Pentax might do themselves a favor to follow this guy, maybe sponsor him, but at the very least address his focusing concerns. I'm betting his inexperience with the camera is partly to blame. Just don't loan him the traveling demo team

09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh-o... just an update from Carl,

Jim,
Fair enough.

I will admit, since writing this review, I have had more issues with the focusing of the K7, to the point that I believe I may have a "bad" body. This is unfortunate, I was hoping that Pentax would have tighter quality control. I may have to go with one of the "Big Boys".

Another amazing thing is Canon's new 7D, 18mp in a APS-C sensor! Wow, talk about zero tolerance when it comes to focus.

I have also made my first prints from the K7, the close up images are very nice (if the focus is on) but I am a little disappointed with the fine detail when it comes to landscape images.

I really want to love the K7, but she is making it difficult!

I hope he can get a K7 replacement or fixed before changing his mind. At least I thought it is a nice and honest review though.
09-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Oh-o... just an update from Carl,

Jim,
Fair enough.

I will admit, since writing this review, I have had more issues with the focusing of the K7, to the point that I believe I may have a "bad" body. This is unfortunate, I was hoping that Pentax would have tighter quality control. I may have to go with one of the "Big Boys".

Another amazing thing is Canon's new 7D, 18mp in a APS-C sensor! Wow, talk about zero tolerance when it comes to focus.

I have also made my first prints from the K7, the close up images are very nice (if the focus is on) but I am a little disappointed with the fine detail when it comes to landscape images.

I really want to love the K7, but she is making it difficult!

I hope he can get a K7 replacement or fixed before changing his mind. At least I thought it is a nice and honest review though.
Ah sh%$#. My feel good thread lasted about 2 hours...
09-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

JCPentax...listen up!

John, if you're out there listening, here's a great opportunity for Pentax to right the ship. Internet bashing is just so easy to do these days, and if not defended tend to be the "rational truth". Positive PR is something else. You (Pentax) need to go to bat for this shooter, regardless who he is. You guys seem to go into hiding whenever anything even resembling negative criticism surfaces. You need to take opportunities to show that Pentax will stand behind it's brand. You (Pentax) need to take ownership and respond to inquiries about Green Bands or Focusing issues. Admitting technical challenges is a must to win at this game. Look at Boeing and the new DreamLiner. They really have a tough challenge, but they do admit their short comings. You need to take their honesty and follow through. The K-7 is an amazing piece of technology. If you don't respond to your critics, Pentax as a brand, and class act I must add, will go the way of Chrysler and GM, but won't have a big brother to bail them out.

In case you haven't gotten it yet John and company, you've got a huge and loyal following. Make us proud.
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Eos 7D closes the gaps in the Canon line, which Pentax could benefit from. We talked about it here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/71237-pentax-canon-hea...tml#post727026

Regarding focus and the DA 21 limited, it is notorious for bad focusing. At least on the older bodies. He should get the 15 lmt. instead. That’s what I plan to do anyway.

For mindblowing landscape work with Pentax, Salgado’s Genesis series with the 645N is progressing :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/327032-post32.html

Here is one of his pictures embedded below :

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/salgado/image/0,,1519340,00.html
Can't wait till I can buy it in book form
Attached Images

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.
09-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am aware of Carl and am glad to see his honest assessment (both he and I use Naneu Pro gear and field test for them). He's willing to give it a good try as he stated in his follow up comments. Perhaps I shall try to simply get in touch with Carl and suggest he try another K7 body via my contact at Naneu Pro.

As indicated, he might have a body with some AF issues. It's not like anyone else has had problems of any kind with a new camera body. Case in point: two recalls on the new Nikon camera in a month - not very good quality control.

Regards,
Marc
09-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

This guy is worried about Pentax durability LOL. Pentax invented the word durability in cameras LOL.
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
Pentax might do themselves a favor to follow this guy, maybe sponsor him, but at the very least address his focusing concerns. I'm betting his inexperience with the camera is partly to blame. Just don't loan him the traveling demo team
I'm thinking that some of his focusing issues aren't focusing issues at all. It could be the shake reduction system especially if he isn't using a tripod in low light.
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

On a side note ... WHY in the world is this guy still using Adobe Camera Raw??? ... HELLLLLO we have all switched to lightroom 2.

I just checked ... Adobe doesn't even list it as a product anymore lol. Come on man get with the times LOL.