Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
On a side note ... WHY in the world is this guy still using Adobe Camera Raw??? ... HELLLLLO we have all switched to lightroom 2.

I just checked ... Adobe doesn't even list it as a product anymore lol. Come on man get with the times LOL.
Camera RAW isn't separate product. It's built in into Lightroom and comes together with Photoshop (all it's flavours).

09-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
On a side note ... WHY in the world is this guy still using Adobe Camera Raw??? ... HELLLLLO we have all switched to lightroom 2.

I just checked ... Adobe doesn't even list it as a product anymore lol. Come on man get with the times LOL.
Please read a bit before posting. How old are you anyway? You use "lol" every other sentence.
09-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I am a little disappointed with the fine detail when it comes to landscape images.
It's rather odd actually; I wonder what could be wrong with it?
09-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FunkyMonk Quote
I'm thinking that some of his focusing issues aren't focusing issues at all. It could be the shake reduction system especially if he isn't using a tripod in low light.
I would think a pro would know to switch off the shake reduction. However, since it is now in the menu as opposed to an external switch, it is possible to overlook that. I did the first time I used my K-7 on a tripod, but I now have the USER mode configured for use with a tripod, which of course includes switching off the shake reduction.

09-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JamieP Quote

"But if you don’t already have an investment in a system and are looking for an SLR camera for backpacking and climbing photography, then the K7 can’t be beat."

Unfortunately, the quote begins with "I can’t imagine anyone selling his or her Canon, Nikon or Sony gear to switch to Pentax.", but I can't worry about everyone else- just gotta buy what makes sense for me.
And i would never think to sell off my Nikon gear and go solely with Pentax. As with you, i gotta do with what makes sense.

Dave B
09-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
And i would never think to sell off my Nikon gear and go solely with Pentax. As with you, i gotta do with what makes sense.

Dave B
The opposite is also often true as well. I have been tempted to go with Nikon FF (should I ever get another job) but would keep my existing Pentax gear and maybe even upgrade to a K7 as a compact WR option should I make the purchase. There are several active users on this site that have two (or more) systems and like their Pentax stuff for its strengths.

Steve
09-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

At long last, some common sense!

"Even if the camera does work when things get cold, if the batteries die quickly, who cares? "

09-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I would think a pro would know to switch off the shake reduction. However, since it is now in the menu as opposed to an external switch, it is possible to overlook that. I did the first time I used my K-7 on a tripod, but I now have the USER mode configured for use with a tripod, which of course includes switching off the shake reduction.
I've just noticed with my K20D that some of my pics were "out of focus" when I was shooting handheld and after looking at them further I realized it was me pressing the shutter too hard. For the most part the SR system works well but there are occasions when it can cause a picture to look soft. I have my zoom set up where it zooms 50% so that I can check focus immediately after I take a picture. I'm pretty sure that he is shooting static subjects so there is no excuse for him not to get the shot. Just check focus and if it's not right take another one.
09-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The opposite is also often true as well. I have been tempted to go with Nikon FF (should I ever get another job) but would keep my existing Pentax gear and maybe even upgrade to a K7 as a compact WR option should I make the purchase. There are several active users on this site that have two (or more) systems and like their Pentax stuff for its strengths.

Steve
And I'm one of those two system shooters Steve. I like what the Nikons do for action and equine work and what Pentax gives me for portraits and landscapes.
I would love a D700(the D200 is my newest Nikon camera) but i have lived this long with out FF and a D300 would suffice as an upgrade. The K10D suits me fine todate.

Dave B
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

How come SR messes things up when you use a tripod? I've always heard this, but I don't get it. Won't it just no do anything if nothing is shaking?
09-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
How come SR messes things up when you use a tripod? I've always heard this, but I don't get it. Won't it just no do anything if nothing is shaking?
Some systems, when locked down on a tripod, react to the vibration of the mirror flipping up and attempt to correct the "vibration movement" and thereby soften what should have been a stable, sharp image.
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #27
Veteran Member

SR is switched off by the camera when MLU is used.
09-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Best sentence ever in a review:

" Any of the current pro or semi-pro cameras (even most consumer models) being produced today can create double page, magazine quality images. There I said it. Now we can all quit comparing the different camera models and running those ultra technical sensors tests, that really mean nothing, and go outside and start making photographs."

Right on brother, right on.

I wonder if the timelapse issue could be solved with firmware?
09-05-2009, 02:00 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Best sentence ever in a review:

" Any of the current pro or semi-pro cameras (even most consumer models) being produced today can create double page, magazine quality images. There I said it. Now we can all quit comparing the different camera models and running those ultra technical sensors tests, that really mean nothing, and go outside and start making photographs."

Right on brother, right on.
Wait a minute ... does this mean I should not blame my camera any longer if my shots are not that great??? That's bad news!

Seriously, I'm often wondering if the folks discussing for hours and days about the pro's & con's of sensor types and sizes and NR algorithms and ... ever have the opportunity to go out and make "real" photographs (besides all the "fascinating" test shots). Let's face it, cameras you can buy today clearly outperfom the vast majority of users.
I am not saying that the detailed technical discussing is not interesting. I am sure it can be a very fascinating part of our hobby (in my real life I am a mechanical engineerf), I just don't see that it has a great impact on the quality of the pictures we finally get.
09-05-2009, 05:10 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carl sez...

"I will admit, since writing this review, I have had more issues with the focusing of the K7, to the point that I believe I may have a "bad" body."

Maybe his body is not bad; it's only getting older....

I thought my K-7 suffered from focusing issues until I had a routine eye exam. Now, not olny can I see better, my new glasses and contacts seem to have fixed the K-7 as well... amazing!

Cheers...