Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello

I mailed the fella suggesting he turns SR off if used on a tripod. He doesn't have it on -- so that's not it. Does anyone here have a checklist for getting the most detail out of shots on the K-7, do's & don'ts?

09-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Oh-o... just an update from Carl,
snip...
I have also made my first prints from the K7, the close up images are very nice (if the focus is on) but I am a little disappointed with the fine detail when it comes to landscape images.
This observation seems to conflict with what others are finding, and my own experience as well ...check this out:

K-7 / 7D / 50D detail comparison: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #33
RaduA

Another wannabie is geared towards "failure with Pentax"

Very likely this guy's K-7 plus the lens that stood 2 hours in heavy rain is already pretty moist inside so failure in focusing and/or iq problems from the lens and unpredictable behavior from the camera are pretty must certain in the future. After which the inevitable "Pentax sucks people, I've told you not to sell your *real camera* gear" will come.

It is the same as what I call NTA (Non Technical Artist) syndrome when people are upset with the inability of a camera on Auto to read their minds about how a picture must look like because they can't be bothered to learn small things like f stops, ISO numbers or shutter times. They are artists not gear freaks don't they? And this guy is about the same in exhibiting his ignorance about a system that (supposedly) will be with him 1 year in the wilderness. It is too much to know a thing or two beforehand isn't it?

Radu
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I agree, Radu. It seems that every point starts out as "I really do like this camera...BUT..."

"It's nice...BUT...it doesn't focus right"
"The pics are great...BUT...I can't get good pics with it most of the time"
"I love that the body is weather sealed...BUT...wait, the lens isn't? I only knew that after I put it outside. Stupid Pentax."
"It's an awesome, weather resistant camera...BUT...I want a Canon or Nikon just because of the brand name waahhhhhhhh. They can't possibly have any QC issues nor can they mis-focus!"

The little diddy about how the camera doesn't matter in the beginning of the article should have been taken out once he "appended" the article in the comment section.

He takes great pics, but is just another gear head it seems...which is unfortunate. (And this is not only about the Pentax part.) Just another pundit of the "Only Canikon Products Can Be Professional Cameras" syndrome.

09-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I read the article and overall he has a good impression over it. But...

" No. I can’t imagine anyone selling his or her Canon, Nikon or Sony gear to switch to Pentax. But if you don’t already have an investment in a system and are looking for an SLR camera for backpacking and climbing photography, than the K7 can’t be beat."

Oh well, I won't sell my K20D either. Not yet, at least
09-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Hello

I mailed the fella suggesting he turns SR off if used on a tripod. He doesn't have it on -- so that's not it. Does anyone here have a checklist for getting the most detail out of shots on the K-7, do's & don'ts?
Just placing a camera on a tripod is no guarantee that you'll get a sharp image. If the tripod is flimsy or the feet aren't well placed, then pressure on the shutter release button may cause a small movement of the entire setup. Better to use a remote switch, cable or wireless, along with the tripod.

Also, the image can appear soft to blurred due to depth of field issues that occur due to a combination of f/# and the actual focus distance of the lens. Depth of field tapers off gradually into a soft, then obvious out of focus region, plus it also depends on the size of the print/enlargement made. That's where depth of field tables come in handy to verify it's not a case of "cockpit error".
09-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #37

Pardon me folks, but I think this guy knows his trade.

No need to blame him, or lecture him, in a forum he probably never reads.
Let us face facts. He has got a bad K-7. Hopefully the problems will be sorted out.
End of story.

09-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote

Let us face facts. He has got a bad K-7. Hopefully the problems will be sorted out.
End of story.
I actually went as far as to read up on his background and browse his portfolio. I agree with you whole-heartedly in this.

On a side-note, his book looks like a pretty interesting project. He'll be posting images as he makes them and will have a vote on the top 50 images which will go in the book. The principle being that the park is for the people of Alaska and that's what he wants this book to become as well.

Hopefully his problems with the k-7 gets sorted out, but I think I'll be checking up on his blog from time to time regarless of the gear he uses.
09-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
I actually went as far as to read up on his background and browse his portfolio. I agree with you whole-heartedly in this.

On a side-note, his book looks like a pretty interesting project. He'll be posting images as he makes them and will have a vote on the top 50 images which will go in the book. The principle being that the park is for the people of Alaska and that's what he wants this book to become as well.

Hopefully his problems with the k-7 gets sorted out, but I think I'll be checking up on his blog from time to time regarless of the gear he uses.
+1

A guy who used to work with a 8x10 field camera definetely will know how to set up a tripod properly. Let's enjoy his beautiful portfolio and follow the new project - hopefully with some great Pentax shots.
09-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
+1

A guy who used to work with a 8x10 field camera definetely will know how to set up a tripod properly. Let's enjoy his beautiful portfolio and follow the new project - hopefully with some great Pentax shots.
I agree. Nass was asking for a check list so I listed a few of the things that when ignored or neglected will degrade sharpness.
09-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote

End of story.
He criticized Pentax. He's obviously a liar, a drunk, mentally unstable, illiterate and a cow kisser.

</sarcasm>
09-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Very likely this guy's K-7 plus the lens that stood 2 hours in heavy rain is already pretty moist inside so failure in focusing and/or iq problems from the lens and unpredictable behavior from the camera are pretty must certain in the future.
Well, sarcasm aside he did what Radu said, didn't he? Leaving a camera with a non-WR lens in the rain. He also said "Many a “pro” camera has not returned from my adventures." - no wonder
Otherwise, I also think he knows his stuff. But, more care of the equipment is needed
09-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, sarcasm aside he did what Radu said, didn't he? Leaving a camera with a non-WR lens in the rain. He also said "Many a “pro” camera has not returned from my adventures." - no wonder
Otherwise, I also think he knows his stuff. But, more care of the equipment is needed
I agree
Everything will be ok with sealed lenses. I just came from a trekking trip and K20 with 50-135mm was hanging a whole week on my neck. No wind, rain or cold could harm it. So, as somebody might say: don't go swimming with overalls.
09-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Field Updates?

Hopefully Carl will keep us informed with his impressions with field updates. This camera is a real compelling upgrade/addition to my k20 for purposes of hiking, but like another poster had mentioned, the lure of a second Nikon system for what it would give in terms of faster AF for the times it comes in handy is also very appealing.
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
Veteran Member

always interesting to see this kind of real-world review. the project itself seems interesting, and the pictures are not half bad . however, i wouldn't hold my breath about the pentax-theme to the project, i have a hunch he already switched (_DSCsomething filenames? is that nikon, iirc?), not that it really matters.

one thing intrigues me in this forum: where does this disdain towards "pixel peepers" and people analyzing image quality and sensors and photographic equipment come from? i take it, we, the lesser-technically-inclined (or able) ones are implicitly better photographers, more inspired artists, "real" photographers? we must be, i mean, we sure cannot even begin to understand what those guys capable of doing statistical analysis on raw files and drawing valid conclusions, and those who actually understand the physics of image making do, so there must be something we can do that they cannot, right? i do feel better now. seriosuly, my tooth has been aching for hours, so i'm a bit jumpy maybe, but what is up with that? is it not that these people we are so quick to mock are those same people who actually keep the manufacturesrs in check, and actually force them to develop improvements where it matters, where we want them (dynamic range, noise, and other "image quality" factors we quickly start to care about as soon as we feel we could use an improvement in them), instead of letting them concentrate on marketing requested numbers, buzzwords and gimmicks _alone_? it doesn't matter? why do we even know there is a k-7, let alone read a thread related to it, if it doesn't? bored, maybe? go make some real photographs! if it doesn't matter, why not use a canon g10. hell, a powershot will do. right? i'm just saying: let's try to keep some balance, eh? there's a place and purpose for everyone, and it might be that my crappy photos (real as they are) are not worth a tenth of what a page of what some of those guys write is worth. i, for one, have respect. i may not always agree or be interested in that stuff, but i bow to the wisdom of anybody who knows what they are talking about. i feel we are bordering on extremism . and all extremists should be shot

/me walks away, need to build that barricade quickly..