Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Is this the new Pentax X80?

Samsung has a new one in the works, the WB5000, presumably offering the price advantages of an 24x zoomin' all-in-one with some of the features and image quality of a DSLR --

Samsung WB5000

09-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
how about a Leica X1 instead?

09-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
that leica is ugly, period. do they know anything other than the 'M' series design?
09-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
that Leica is likely a fake, from what I've read.

09-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
cyg
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 134
That picture may be a fake, but there is apparently a "novice" leica coming...
09-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,198
I think the days of Pentax-Samsung friendship are numbered.
09-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Original Poster
I dont think I will be buying a sardine can dressed up in Leica badges any time soon, but if that Samsung has good IQ, whether it gets rebadged as a Pentax or not, will be on my radar for sure.
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I dont think I will be buying a sardine can dressed up in Leica badges any time soon, but if that Samsung has good IQ, whether it gets rebadged as a Pentax or not, will be on my radar for sure.
No interest in something with Leica glass, but instead a Samsung with "good IQ"? I'm afraid I'd much rather take the sardine can if it isn't astronomically priced.

Well, Not sure how a compact 24x zoom would do with a large sensor. My guess is pretty piss-poor.

09-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
Can't we call a truce

in both the megapixel and zoom wars?

I shudder when I read about 600+mm in a hand held camera sporting a sensor the size of my fingernail.

I vote we call that truce at 10 MP at 1/2.3, 12 MP at 1/1.8, 15 @ APS-C. and 12X zoom across the board. These numbers are carefully calculated by counting bubbles in the lovely plume rising in my newly-poured glass of Guinness.

Then the manufacturers can concentrate on repeatedly good image quality, noise control to limit the necessity for flash, and flexible user interfaces that make everyone happy.

Nah. No Age of Enlightenment in sight, I fear.
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
No interest in something with Leica glass, but instead a Samsung with "good IQ"? I'm afraid I'd much rather take the sardine can if it isn't astronomically priced.

Well, Not sure how a compact 24x zoom would do with a large sensor. My guess is pretty piss-poor.
Looking for a vacation camera with DSLR features but don't want to lug around a full DSLR kit?

The Samsung WB5000 is a new compact camera with a 26mm wide angle lens and 24x optical zoom. The WB5000 (also known as the HZ25W) offers RAW shooting, aperture priority, shutter priority and two User defined Modes as well as full manual shooting modes. The 12.5 mega pixel WB5000 records HD video in 1280x720p resolution at 30 frames per second using the latest H.264 format. The Samsung WB5000 will be available in the UK from September 2009, pricing to be announced. In the US the Samsung HZ25W will be available in October for $399.99.

YES!
09-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
Well, that's why they make different products. Personally there are only a small number of small sensor cameras I have any interest in, and superzooms are not on that list (DLux4, GX300 (if it comes out), S90).

You can bump up the size a bit, go u4/3 and blow the IQ of this WB5000 (or any small sensor camera) out of the water.
09-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,836
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
how about a Leica X1 instead?

I don't care for the looks of that 'Leica'...at all. I'm a Leica fan and a Leica owner...much prefer the look of the F and M series rangefinders.
09-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Looking for a vacation camera with DSLR features but don't want to lug around a full DSLR kit?

The Samsung WB5000 is a new compact camera with a 26mm wide angle lens and 24x optical zoom. The WB5000 (also known as the HZ25W) offers RAW shooting, aperture priority, shutter priority and two User defined Modes as well as full manual shooting modes. The 12.5 mega pixel WB5000 records HD video in 1280x720p resolution at 30 frames per second using the latest H.264 format. The Samsung WB5000 will be available in the UK from September 2009, pricing to be announced. In the US the Samsung HZ25W will be available in October for $399.99.

YES!
HELL NO!

don't get me wrong but I'd rather take pencil and paper then that camera!
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Looking for a vacation camera with DSLR features but don't want to lug around a full DSLR kit?

The Samsung WB5000 is a new compact camera with a 26mm wide angle lens and 24x optical zoom. The WB5000 (also known as the HZ25W) offers RAW shooting, aperture priority, shutter priority and two User defined Modes as well as full manual shooting modes. The 12.5 mega pixel WB5000 records HD video in 1280x720p resolution at 30 frames per second using the latest H.264 format. The Samsung WB5000 will be available in the UK from September 2009, pricing to be announced. In the US the Samsung HZ25W will be available in October for $399.99.

YES!
If only it had a hot shoe...
09-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 235
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that leica is ugly, period. do they know anything other than the 'M' series design?
That's a Barnack-inspired design in fact...I quite like it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors, samsung
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top