Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #16
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've been hopeful that the NX series would keep the K mount but the rear caps on those lenses look a different shape.
Samsung execs have clearly said that it will be a new Samsung mount but there will probably be a K mount adapter. I don't recall the link to that interview, but I've posted it in this forum once or twice if you want to search.

09-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #17

More and more I hear, more and more I think that this will be an utter failure... No real advantage in size at all...
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Banned

body is too big. lenses are too big. what would the appeal be? (other than leica lens owners looking for something to use larger than 4/3) you can get something like a k-m that will likely be similar price range. and offer a body not much bigger, but with a lot more capability. I just don't get it. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't think this will be a success for Samsung at all. The PEN is already gaining ground quickly for the people looking to use LTM and M and R Leicas and voigtlanders and what have you, and the next PEN will likely be a bigger success than the current. I just don't see where this camera is supposed to fit in.
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lenses look huge compared to the recent Olympus 14-40mm kit lens with their EP-1... I thought the advantage of getting rid of the mirror box was shorter distance to sensor= less space= smaller lenses, but the lenses look identical in size to the current 18-55mm and 50-200mm. Not only that, but they got rid of the the SR, making the lenses even bigger.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Olympus managed to fit SR in the EP-1.

09-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #20

Here are the sizes...

GH-1 and NX...

09-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by alexramos Quote
Here are the sizes...

GH-1 and NX...

What happens after you include the lenses. And I highly doubt the pancakes on the samsung will be of any quality, judging from the 17mm olympus.
09-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I hate the fact that there isn't a top mounted LCD screen.

09-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I asked a friend to play naive and ask some question about the NX at the Samsung booth at IFA (entire hall 20, actually).

She got mixed answers: "Coming October", "coming January", "don't know, we got no instructions about it", "it is a concept, not sure if it will come" ...

Asking if she could use "her" GX lens, answer: "Maybe" ...

Asking if she could quickly try it out : "No way, it's just body shelves, empty inside" ...

Working in the marketing department of a huge corporation, she found all of this "shockingly unprofessional" She was much happier when going to the Sony booth and firing an AF.C burst with A550 into a model railroad train leaving a tunnel (she was amazed that all shots were sharp). I told her "no problem for a K-7" -- did anybody try?
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
What happens after you include the lenses. And I highly doubt the pancakes on the samsung will be of any quality, judging from the 17mm olympus.
I just noticed that the flash mount seems different from the Pentax hot shoe too.

What is Samsung trying to do? Move away from Pentax entirely?
09-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I just noticed that the flash mount seems different from the Pentax hot shoe too.

What is Samsung trying to do? Move away from Pentax entirely?
For the NX series, that's rather clear: Pentax has nothing to do with this serie and it's a 100% Samsung camera (+lenses + flash system).

For the GX series... well, they don't seem to be in a hurry releasing a "GX-7"... not even showing it as a mockup...

Despite all their repeated declarations of wanting to be a big player in the DSLR realm, I really don't see them putting big efforts into this market.
09-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Sharing some Pentax items (lenses, mount, flash, other tech) would have given Samsung a foot in the door. But with everything completely new, and no size advantage, what has this system got going for it? Sure, there will be the APS-C advantages over m4/3 as in true SLRs, but the only advantage of m4/3 is the smaller size, with APS-C you lose most of that, even in a mirrorless design, especially with in-lens stabilisation. I donīt see this taking any ground from Oly & Panasonic.

I donīt think Samsung have laid enough groundwork in being taken seriously with their GX cameras to be taken seriously releasing the NX cameras as a completely new system. The big mistake is not keeping the K mount. Samsung DSLRs were only taken seriously at all because those in the know were aware they were Pentax in disguise. These NX cameras arenīt, so they lose that too.
09-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Keeping the k-mount for a hybrid without mirror would be suicide, as the advantage of a short registration mount is, aside total shorter lenght of lenses, the ability to produce symmetrical lenses in the wide range, with better quality, shorter focal lenght etc etc. Even if they keep the K bayonet, like micro 4/3 does in respect to the plain 4/3, an adapter in the form of a tube to re-estabilish the right registration would be required.

What I don't understand is why not SR (that would work with any lenses of whatever manifacturer) and why not the Pentax flash mount. Well, I understand why (to have costumers of the camera needing to buy OIS lenses and new flashes from Samsung) but that makes me a lot less interested in the camera. I was ready to buy one to complement my K20D (for HD movie and total silent shooting) but at this point I will either buy a K-7 or wait hopelessly for a hybrid from Pentax.
09-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

So this is a whole new lens mount? If so:

Fail unless they have some interesting partnerships in place. u4/3 will bury them.
09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
What I don't understand is why not SR (that would work with any lenses of whatever manifacturer) and why not the Pentax flash mount. Well, I understand why (to have costumers of the camera needing to buy OIS lenses and new flashes from Samsung) but that makes me a lot less interested in the camera.
They don't want NX to have anything to do with Pentax or Pentax design at all. Maybe there is licensing fee involved or whatever, but they want to keep this Samsung only. The flash mount is the same as their previous Samsung prosumer.

And no, they are not interested in migration from existing Pentax owners either. The initial target market for hybrids are mass consumers upgrading from P&S. As for SR, I am also surprised to see Panasonic has also chosen in-lens stabilization for their GF1 & GH1.
09-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
As for SR, I am also surprised to see Panasonic has also chosen in-lens stabilization for their GF1 & GH1.
Maybe because they're good at that? Even the small FX-series has it.