Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It would be good if his methodology of testing includes using Pentax cameras with the latest CMOS sensors like the K20D and K-7.
As far as I know all his tests (even the most recent lenses) were still done with the long discontinued K10D, which we all know isn't the newest nor sharpest knife in the drawer...
Test with a more recent camera body and I'm sure a lot of the results will be quite different.

09-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
It would be good if his methodology of testing includes using Pentax cameras with the latest CMOS sensors like the K20D and K-7.
As far as I know all his tests (even the most recent lenses) were still done with the long discontinued K10D, which we all know isn't the newest nor sharpest knife in the drawer...
Test with a more recent camera body and I'm sure a lot of the results will be quite different.
This is definitely the weak link in the chain. The fact that he uses a K10 does somehow make a difference. I think that sensor doesn't press lenses as hard as the K20/K7 do -- definitely would help stratify where lenses are at.
09-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It actually is the sharpest knife in the draw, the weak aa filter means pixel for pixel the K10 is far sharper than the 20D in mine and others experience.
09-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Lenses are comparable side by side only on the same camera. A camera like the K20D will be more demanding than the K10D because of pixel count but a bad lens will remain a bad lense and a good lense will remain a good lens.

However, moving to K20D would help discriminate between very good and exeptional lenses.

When Photozone moved to Canon 50D for their Canon testing they had to redo a few tests to see if the lenses were still able to cope with the sensor (some were clearly outadated)

09-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
DA 15/4 Ltd,
DA* 55/1.4
DA* 60-250/4
Thanks fore the link. I offered him my 15/4 and 60-250/4 .

UPDATE:
He now got offers for every lens (DA* 60-250/4 from me). As it turns out, he is just four subway stations away from my place

Last edited by falconeye; 09-11-2009 at 06:50 AM.
01-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #21
Veteran Member

DA* 60-250/4 now tested!

As it turns out, Klaus has now tested all three lenses.

The test of the DA* 60-250/4 was released earlier today. He tested my lens and as it turns out, I may have reason to send my lens to Pentax to get its centering serviced

All three lenses optically got 3.5 / 5 stars.
01-11-2010, 05:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Maybe you should lend Klaus your K-7 or the new K-x so that he can re-do all his tests using the current cameras. That would be something.
01-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Maybe you should lend Klaus your K-7 or the new K-x so that he can re-do all his tests using the current cameras. That would be something.
That would require all the people who've sent him their lenses in the past to do it again, and for Klaus to take the time to redo all the tests. Not very likely, I think.
We should be happy he's taking the time as it is considering the small market share of Pentax. And we should be happy most of the new Pentax lenses perform really well optically!

01-13-2010, 04:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I woudn't be surprised if Klaus would now wait a bit until a couple of new Pentax lenses have become available, and a new body. To form a second set of lens tests. He said something like this on the photozone forum.

He would not redo old tests, I guess. But I would be glad if he would redo one test to have a common point of reference. For a good lens. Like the FA31.