Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung has been cranking out quality products for many years. My first Samsung was a 13" color TV that I bought for around $100 back in the late 70's in a discount store. It still works. So does the Samsung microwave oven I bought in 1988 when our youngest daughter was born so we could warm up those late night bottles quicker. It was our first microwave. That one still lives a my oldest daughters house. They started out as a cheap, discount store brand to now become known as top of the line in appliances and electronics. I will purchase a Samsung product with no reservations.

I bought a Samsung 35mm P&S camera with a 38-145 Schneider zoom with macro in the early 90's that became my walkaround camera. I bought it for taking quick shots on motorcycle trips with a camera I could carry in my vest pocket and the IQ of the shots I got with that camera will match up to anything I have taken with my film SLR's.

I'm not surprised that the Samsung camera is in "hibernation". In the current economy caution seems to be the word. I think I would be safe in saying that most of the "new and improved" updated DSLR's that have been introduced lately were already through the R&D pipeline and it would have been an even larger loss to cancel them. I doubt if we will see a rash of new DSLR's next year if these huge losses being reported follow through to next year. I think Samsung is serious about being a player in the digital photography world. I'm sure thier NX product will be pretty good based on my own experience with their other products including cameras. If this new camera uses the K mount or will be able to use K mount lenses with an adapter it stands a good chance of being successful. One thing they can not do is rush this camera to market only to have recalls and a slew of firmware updates. Canon and Nikon can get away with it, Samsung, as a newbie in the camera world with a completely new format can't.

09-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samsung was working on a 35mm sensor so even if they have frozen the GX line this doesn't necessarily mean we won't see an entirely new nomenclature for a FF camera.

I think its very unlikely that we will hear anything until after the NX line becomes available on the market but I wouldn't assume Samsung have have done anything more than shifted its attention to micro-APS-C.

The money spent already on developing a 35mm sensor can be partially recouped, I imagine, by transferring over innovations to its existing APS-C sensor but some of the R&D money will have to written off unless they do produce and then start selling a 35mm sensor (even if they don't actually put it in their own camera). I say this because one of the biggest problems faced by Samsung is creating a sensor that large either in a single pass, or by stitching (as I understand it), and to the developments required to do this can't be transferred to APS-C because you don't have this problem.