Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Samsung hibernates GX

More info :
Samsung hibernates GX (K-mount DSLRs) - 1001 Noisy Cameras
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/samsung_nx_series_terminates_gx_fo...ws_288876.html

What about HOYA(Pentax)-Samsung Partnership ?

09-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Pooof, there goes the FF hope...
09-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It really doesn't surprise me. I don't think Samsung had the name or the know-how to crack the top three like they originally planned. I think the new series of camera is more on a level with what people associate with Samsung.

QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
I don't know about that. I'm sure Samsung will continue to supply sensors to Pentax and if Pentax wants a FF sensor, I don't think Samsung would turn their noses up at the business.
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
What about HOYA(Pentax)-Samsung Partnership ?
This is perfect. They can share costs on the sensor side, Pentax builds DSLRs and Samsung their new mirrorfree camera (NX), so they avoid direct competition. Like the K-7 and the NX will probably have the same sensor. Much better than when Pentax developed disguised DSLRs copies for Samsung diluting the brand name, also a solution that never can have given much profit to Samsung.

09-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atiratha Quote
Indeed unfortunate. I'm sure the recession has a lot to do w/ it as well...with even Canikon losing craploads of money in the dslr market...
09-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I recently just bought a GX-20, hopefully my family and nobody in my photography class makes fun of me for upgrading to a GX-20. It'd be very frustrating having to explain to them that the GX-20 is the same as the K20D; and that I can easily upgrade to another Pentax in the future without losing any investments from the lenses and the flash due to the same K-mount used by Pentax. I might as well buy a Pentax sticker and slap it over the Samsung paint
09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #7

I don't believe the GX line is entirely dead. It takes a lot of resources to roll out a new product like the NX. From what I've read, Samsung is working on including WiFi and Bluetooth with the NX line which they are still ironing out. The global economy is so dismal right now, Canon and Nikon's sales are both down about 80%. Samsung is probably channeling their resources into the products they see the greatest Return On Investment at the moment.

When the economy was strong the DSLR segment was the most lucrative in the field of photography. By adopting the K-Mount for their DSLR line, Samsung would be removing one of the strongest road blocks to a new camera line, lens support. Pentax, Voigtländer, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina are just a few of the lens manufacturers that support the K-Mount. It looks like Samsung is developing a number of their own lenses too.

Time will tell, let's hope the economy starts improving soon!

Last edited by Angevinn; 09-08-2009 at 12:46 PM.
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
This is perfect. They can share costs on the sensor side, Pentax builds DSLRs and Samsung their new mirrorfree camera (NX), so they avoid direct competition. Like the K-7 and the NX will probably have the same sensor. Much better than when Pentax developed disguised DSLRs copies for Samsung diluting the brand name, also a solution that never can have given much profit to Samsung.
I couldn't agree more.

09-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
I don't believe the GX line is entirely dead. It takes a lot of resources to roll out a new product like the NX. From what I've read, Samsung is working on including WiFi and Bluetooth with the NX line which they are still ironing out. The global economy is so dismal right now, Canon and Nikon's sales are both down about 80%. Samsung is probably channeling their resources into the products they see the greatest Return On Investment at the moment.

When the economy was strong the DSLR segment was the most lucrative in the field of photography. By adopting the K-Mount for their DSLR line, Samsung would be removing one of the strongest road blocks to a new camera line, lens support. Pentax, Voigtländer, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina are just a few of the lens manufacturers that support the K-Mount. It looks like Samsung is developing a number of their own lenses too.

Time will tell, let's hope the economy starts improving soon!

where did you get the 80% figure?
09-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Data is hard to locate thesedays but

Data is hard to locate thesedays but heres a marketshare chart comparing 2008 versus 2006.

Nikon doing well, better than Canon in the past two years (2008 vs 2006) | Nikon Rumors

Canon looks to be down 10% marketshare which should place them dead even with Nikon at end of 2008. Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, the two take a bit more than 80% of total market. Pentax is no gain or loss. Nikon and Sony and Panasonic are all doing better 08 vs 06. Several Canon lenses in USA are sold out more often than not at stores I do biz with. If they ramp up production they'll sell it, even with their newest & hefty price increases past couple weeks. Two fantasy lenses on my dream list went up $700 and $1300. Ouch. The local shop has sold 23 7D Eos 1.6xcrop bodies w/deposit inhand "preorders". Zero sales there for Pentax K-7 priced at $400 less.

2009 sales data should prove interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
09-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #11

Samsung Hibernates GX

QuoteOriginally posted by jake123 Quote
I should have stated profits, but Canon and Nikon are way down for the year.

Canon reported an 83% drop in profits for the first quarter:

Slack Demand Saps Canon's Profit - WSJ.com

For the second quarter, Canon is reporting profits are down 86%.

Canon Profit Slides on Downturn - WSJ.com

Now Canon is looking to restructure its microchip stepper division (like Nikon) which will most likely cost them some serious coin.

Canon to restructure stepper division - Corporate News - livemint.com

Next to Nikon,

Nikon reported a 63% drop in profits earlier this year in May (for 2008):

Nikon profit slumps, sees red ink this year - MarketWatch

&

Nikon expects biggest loss in 11 years, stock down | Nikon Rumors

Nikon tried to counter the drop in profits by price increases.

Last month, Nikon reported another blow to its profits:

UPDATE 2-Nikon writes down unsold gear, doubles loss outlook | Stocks | Reuters

Chip steppers are used in microchip production. The machines are used to etch circuitry on microchips during production.

Having to eat another loss of 30 billion yen ($316 million) this year will likely push Nikon into a profit loss of over 80%.

It's not just Nikon and Canon; Olympus, Fuji and Samsung are also seeing losses. With profits down, companies will cut back on their overall spending. That's why I see Samsung focusing more on the NX than the GX line. If the global economy was strong and Samsung was doing well they might not have a problem funding R&D into both camera lines. Douglas of Sweden may be right that Samsung is rethinking their partnership with Pentax/Hoya. The GX line was too similar to the Pentax K line.
09-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nice links

Handy links. I was thinking cameras versus cameras ,not company wide profits. Bummer total money is down for everyone. You've likely found the reason samsung is retreating or rethinking their aps-c clone camera production. Personally I think NX is a big mistake. While samsung talked panasonic grew out of nowhere. Panasonic GH1 has remained backordered for months at stores I do biz with. I look everyday for stock to consider as GH1 is also on my fantasy dream gear list. If I were to buy a m4/3 type camera it wouldn't be samsung. And I like samsung. I want to consider product specs, not roadmapped dreams. And GH1 is pretty darn cool. Except for price. By the time NX emerges GH1 will likely be down in money to something approaching affordable. Not that $1499 with a well regarded lens is insane money, just $400 to $500 more than I'd like to pay for GH1 w 14-140 HD lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
I should have stated profits, but Canon and Nikon are way down for the year.

Canon reported an 83% drop in profits for the first quarter:

Slack Demand Saps Canon's Profit - WSJ.com

For the second quarter, Canon is reporting profits are down 86%.

Canon Profit Slides on Downturn - WSJ.com

Now Canon is looking to restructure its microchip stepper division (like Nikon) which will most likely cost them some serious coin.

Canon to restructure stepper division - Corporate News - livemint.com

Next to Nikon,

Nikon reported a 63% drop in profits earlier this year in May (for 2008):

Nikon profit slumps, sees red ink this year - MarketWatch

&

Nikon expects biggest loss in 11 years, stock down | Nikon Rumors

Nikon tried to counter the drop in profits by price increases.

Last month, Nikon reported another blow to its profits:

UPDATE 2-Nikon writes down unsold gear, doubles loss outlook | Stocks | Reuters

Chip steppers are used in microchip production. The machines are used to etch circuitry on microchips during production.

Having to eat another loss of 30 billion yen ($316 million) this year will likely push Nikon into a profit loss of over 80%.

It's not just Nikon and Canon; Olympus, Fuji and Samsung are also seeing losses. With profits down, companies will cut back on their overall spending. That's why I see Samsung focusing more on the NX than the GX line. If the global economy was strong and Samsung was doing well they might not have a problem funding R&D into both camera lines. Douglas of Sweden may be right that Samsung is rethinking their partnership with Pentax/Hoya. The GX line was too similar to the Pentax K line.
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #13

Samsung versus Panasonic

Hi Samsungian,

I believe Samsung went the better route with the NX system and APS-C sensor versus the Panasonic/Olympus Micro 4/3 system. I'm not a big fan of the micro 4/3 sensor. It's capable of some nice images but APS-C is as small as I like to go. Even Leica passed over the Micro 4/3 market (Rumor was that Panasonic was pressuring Leica to enter the micro 4/3 fray) and is now pursuing sales in FF digital cameras.

Time will tell; to have a superior product (which I believe Samsung has) doesn't always translate into sales. Panasonic has done a wonderful job with its camera division while we are still waiting on Samsung.

Samsung is still one of the largest electronic companies in the world. It shouldn't be counted out just yet. Samsung needs to get moving though!

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Handy links. I was thinking cameras versus cameras ,not company wide profits. Bummer total money is down for everyone. You've likely found the reason samsung is retreating or rethinking their aps-c clone camera production. Personally I think NX is a big mistake. While samsung talked panasonic grew out of nowhere. Panasonic GH1 has remained backordered for months at stores I do biz with. I look everyday for stock to consider as GH1 is also on my fantasy dream gear list. If I were to buy a m4/3 type camera it wouldn't be samsung. And I like samsung. I want to consider product specs, not roadmapped dreams. And GH1 is pretty darn cool. Except for price. By the time NX emerges GH1 will likely be down in money to something approaching affordable. Not that $1499 with a well regarded lens is insane money, just $400 to $500 more than I'd like to pay for GH1 w 14-140 HD lens.

Last edited by Angevinn; 09-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
09-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I agree, bigger sensor in Samsung should prove better than m4/3

I agree, bigger sensor in Samsung should prove better than m4/3. I still wonder about simple NX specs like its sensor plane distance? Have you seen this? With this spec I'd know how adaptable other lenses might be with Samsung NX. Also inbody shake reduction is a plus, but it seems to be deleted from NX. Lack of articulated viewscreen on a video dslr is less desirable to me. Spec wise GH1 and its included HD autofocusing, image stabilized lens is very intersesting. it seems alot of buyers of it are adding it to existing gear, not replacing exisiting gear. I know if I wanted GH1 I could place a order with Panasonic in USA and they fill within a few days. $1499 is alot to drop when I could combine the money with more and get something else. They'd have a heck of a package for $999 or so and I'd add one to drive alot of old abandoned mount lenses I've yet to part with: Primarily due to GH1 extreme mount adaptability.

I hope it works out for Samsung, the race started over a year ago and they are deciding what to wear and what color to choose for the event. Oly already has rumours for E-P2 due for release by this Christmas. Thats another one I'm passing on.

Heres a handy sensor chart with Pentax, Nikon 1.53x located right above 2x 4/3, & m4/3. Canon aps-c is 1.63x crop. Or is it 1.62x crop, I forget:

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Handy alternative lens film plane distance chart:

http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/mounts.htm
09-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Data is hard to locate thesedays but heres a marketshare chart comparing 2008 versus 2006.
Nikon doing well, better than Canon in the past two years (2008 vs 2006) | Nikon Rumors
This copies photoscala.de report. We have another thread discussing the original photoscala article.

The nikonrumor chart quotes the win&losses chart which has an error in the Pentax column. It must read -1%.

The article quotes a market share of 4% for Pentax. My own guesstimate was and is 3.5%.