Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks Promising Hoya Keeps Camera Division

Japan's Pentax agrees to Hoya takeover

Japanese camera-maker Pentax has reached a preliminary agreement to be acquired by optical glass maker Hoya, a company official said Thursday, paving the way to set up a new major industry player.

In a meeting Wednesday, Pentax president Takashi Watanuki informed Hoya chief executive officer Hiroshi Suzuki of the company's intention to back an acquisition by tender offer, Hoya spokeswoman Akiko Maeyama said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"He said the company was preparing for a press announcement to be released as soon as all the board members agree to the tender offer," she said.

"Details, including when to start the tender offer, will be discussed only after the agreement becomes official, but if everything goes smoothly it would take place as early as June," she said.

Pentax Corp. had agreed last year on a share swap with Hoya Corp. but then scrapped the merger when Pentax shareholders complained they were getting a bad deal.

But Pentax's president quit over the controversy and its new leadership has re-engaged in talks.

Both companies have reported healthy profits. Analysts say their strengths would complement each other and put a combined company in a position to compete with sector heavyweights such as Olympus and Konica Minolta.

Suzuki and Watanuki agreed Pentax would remain a subsidiary under Hoya while the board members of the camera maker would retain their current positions, Maeyama said.

"We have also agreed to keep Pentax's three divisions -- camera, medical and optics," she added.

Pentax spokesman Jiro Okamura only confirmed that company executives met Wednesday, declining to give further details.

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/070517/1/48m02.html

05-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Ed in GA

That's all fine and dandy.

However, Lawyers can often times figure out ways to break agreements.

I hope that Pentax as a brand surivives, flourishes and brings forth new and great equipment for years to come. But, if they don't, I have a good Pentax DSLR with a good array of lens and accessories and will continue to use them, I hope, for years to come.

If and when the time comes to replace my equipment, and Pentax is no longer around, I will go to my second choice of Nikon.

At any rate, it is what it is and will be what it will be. We shall all just have to wait patiently to see how everything shakes out.

Have a great day.

Ed
05-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

good for now. we will see if they continue to get the R&D money, for the camera devision, though that they have now and have been told would increase (pre-hoya)
Now as long as they keep their name as Pentax not Hoya-Pentax on their cameras etc.
I dont want another KM debocal
05-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hold on... I'm having information overload
I think I'll leave this forum alone for a while and check back in a month or so when this muddy waters will be crystal clear (hopefully) and we'll all see what really lies at the bottom.

05-21-2007, 02:08 AM   #5

I recognice the feeling Matjazz. There seem to be so many twists and turns that I'll probably end up not knowing the difference between left from right.
05-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I think we've just finished round 1 of a 13 round championship title fight!

As has been said many times before "It isn't over until the fat lady sings". Remember that Pentax cannot say or do anything until the end of May due to the early (gag?) agreement made with Hoya.

I expect that round 2 will start at the beginning of June. Until that time we shall hear from Hoya and Sparx and other commentators trying to create the impression that "it's a done deal" in order to sway the shareholders and other investors that Hoya is the only solution there is in town.

If you feel giddy, then I suggest that you grab hold of something (your camera maybe?) and take a few breaths (photos?) of reality and calm down!
05-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #7

I would say we are in round 5 already
05-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
I would say we are in round 5 already
It certainly may feel like it, but I suspect there is much more yet to come!

05-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I got my K10D. Got a K100D for backup. Got the pancake limiteds, a fast 50, and a bunch of legacy primes. As long as we eventually see the DA* zooms, I'm a happy camper for a long, long time.
05-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That's good advice

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I think we've just finished round 1 of a 13 round championship title fight!

As has been said many times before "It isn't over until the fat lady sings". Remember that Pentax cannot say or do anything until the end of May due to the early (gag?) agreement made with Hoya.

I expect that round 2 will start at the beginning of June. Until that time we shall hear from Hoya and Sparx and other commentators trying to create the impression that "it's a done deal" in order to sway the shareholders and other investors that Hoya is the only solution there is in town.

If you feel giddy, then I suggest that you grab hold of something (your camera maybe?) and take a few breaths (photos?) of reality and calm down!
You are right Richard, this is just starting. I'm still in the market for a K100D and am trying to guess what the marketing is going to do with pricing and rebates. We could see as much as $100 come off the price or the rebate might disappear. One thing for sure, if I were a retailer my Pentax inventory would be run down to bare bones just to protect myself.

The next round will probably Start June 1. This is as good as a soap oprea.

regards,
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Gotta love the armchair analysts and pseudo corporate experts.

When Hoya supposedly said they will get rid of the camera division if it isn't profitable - it was all doom and gloom.

Now they are stating they are going to keep all divisions including camera - again it is all doom and gloom.

Come on get with it guys - I'm no expert in corporate enterprise - but I do know this; if there is money to be made in cameras Hoya will want to be in it. And seriously, they are buying a company with a long history of fine lenses in the k-mount - do you seriously think they are going to turn around and produce cameras in a Nikon mount?

Now if Hoya want to rebrand - SO WHAT? They are a reputable brand in their own right and instead of being a Pentax Fanboy I'll be a Hoya Fanboy.
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sacrilege!

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Gotta love the armchair analysts and pseudo corporate experts.

*snip*

Now if Hoya want to rebrand - SO WHAT? They are a reputable brand in their own right and instead of being a Pentax Fanboy I'll be a Hoya Fanboy.
How can you say such a thing! the Pentax name is sacred! Fie! You must now bow down three times to each lens and five times to each body you own to attone for your sins!

NaCl(once they rename the company all of your older lenses will develop front/back/side focus!)H2O
05-21-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

I hope Hoya understands that in order to stay "in the game" they need to continue the development of the PENTAX name and devices. I hope they are not so clueless that they think just living off of current DSLR models will continue forever. After all Ford resurected Austin-Martin and sold it off for as a successful entrprise --- then again they sold off Cosworth (now who would not want to buy a Mustang or Focus for that matter) with a Cosworth V-10. Now there is a bunch of fools (How about selling the X-Type wagon with the 300hp turbo diesel @ 30 mpg in the US --- nope makes to much sense)

I hope Hoya does not have anyone from Ford on the board - or we are toast.

PDL - how is that for off topic
05-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #14
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I hope Hoya understands that in order to stay "in the game" they need to continue the development of the PENTAX name and devices. I hope they are not so clueless that they think just living off of current DSLR models will continue forever. After all Ford resurected Austin-Martin and sold it off for as a successful entrprise --- then again they sold off Cosworth (now who would not want to buy a Mustang or Focus for that matter) with a Cosworth V-10. Now there is a bunch of fools (How about selling the X-Type wagon with the 300hp turbo diesel @ 30 mpg in the US --- nope makes to much sense)

I hope Hoya does not have anyone from Ford on the board - or we are toast.

PDL - how is that for off topic

The Pentax name is very important. brand is everything. Pentax has had a name that means camera and lens quality. Hoya is a filter company as far as most are concerned, you don't want to mix brands, brand recognition is VERY important.

I for one would not buy a Hoya or Samsung camera, filters are from Hoya and TV's are from Samsung !

wll
05-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
The Pentax name is very important. brand is everything. Pentax has had a name that means camera and lens quality. Hoya is a filter company as far as most are concerned, you don't want to mix brands, brand recognition is VERY important.

I for one would not buy a Hoya or Samsung camera, filters are from Hoya and TV's are from Samsung !

wll
the pentax name is well known to older people (myself included, I grew up with my father and brother shooting pentax). But everyone has different perceptions to me canon make cheapo printers, sony make trinitron tvs and monitors and samsung is just another company knocking out mass produced electronics. But to my kids, sony make stereo's and have weird tv ads and samsung is a high tech electronics company with lots of phones etc etc. For many people samsung has stronger brand recognition and seen as high tech (like sony in regards to Konica/Minolta). Depends on the market your after. I really hope hoya are going to push it out more and go after larger market share incl. pro market. For naming to me I don't see any advantage in changing name to hoya or hoya-pentax , I wouldn't think it would have any great market advantage, but maybe I'm wrong.

Phil