Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Would he listen?
Nah. Probably not.

09-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
He went on to say - as I'm sure you read as well - that a truly sustainable camera business (i.e. an attractive top line) will require a partnership, owing to small size of Pentax's camera operation. Let's hope he succeeds.
Yeah, I think that Pentax needs to focus on designing new quality glass and get a strong partner to provide them with good sensor and supporting electronics for the future. Glass and keeping up with advancements in sensor technology are the two things that will decide the future of the system. Not sure whether Pentax needs to invest into FF or just the opposite - stay firmly with APS-C for their main format and release a digital MF back on the side.
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #18

I don't think this is anything to be happy at. To me it sounds like that the loss of the camera division has been improved by cutting costs/research/corners/whatever and this loss is cancelled out by the other profitable Pentax divisions(medical imaging?).
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I don't know about R&D costs, since it allowed them to make the K-7...

09-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
This is certainly soothing news. As my investment in Pentax grows, I really dread the fact that continued downsizing and cutting of R&D budgets spells disaster for the brand. Hopefully, Hoya will only carry Pentax through tough economic times with cost cutting but will soon realise that a serious investement in lens and body development is imperative in the long run.
According to Hoya financial report of 1st quarter this year (ending June 30) - http://www.hoya.co.jp/english/investor/fs20090731_1e.pdf - Hoya increased Pentax R&D budget comparing to 1st quarter of previous financial year - see page 9 of report (page 10 of file).
R&D expenses rise by 90 million yen, and number of employees decreased by 1813.
As you can see from report R&D budget was increased only to Pentax and Vision care department, for all other departments R&D budget decreased.

Last edited by Roberts; 09-12-2009 at 12:22 AM.
09-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nah, this is really really good news for us. We already knew there'd been some cuts around the company: Pentax division not posting a loss means it's pretty unlikely Hoya's going to panic and do something that'd make us unhappy to appease shareholders. It just hasn't been the time this year to try and rush a lot of stuff onto a sluggish market: if they can fill out the lineup by the holiday season, maybe then it's time to be *bam* with the advertising and promotion and stuff. Almost smacks of a coherent plan that might work.

I haven't been circulating a great lot in the past month, due to health, but when I have, it's seemed there's always been someone interested in my K20d, and cameras in general, which sort of interest had sort of slacked off. Could be a sign the market's picking up, or getting ready to. This could all work out.
09-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Nah, this is really really good news for us. We already knew there'd been some cuts around the company:

It just hasn't been the time this year to try and rush a lot of stuff onto a sluggish market: if they can fill out the lineup by the holiday season, maybe then it's time to be *bam* with the advertising and promotion and stuff. Almost smacks of a coherent plan that might work.

Could be a sign the market's picking up, or getting ready to. This could all work out.
I agree. I spoke with John Carlson at a trade show this summer and asked him what Pentax was doing to drive business. He admitted they obviously don't have the budget to be the official camera of the NFL, but he did give me a glimpse of their current and future efforts to put the name in front of the consumer.

While the plan did not include giving away piles of cameras or having some super hunky spokesman, the plan does seem relevant and in line with the direction marekting efforts are going. With the ROI getting more difficult to measure with more conventional marketing plans, I think we'll see more of the camera makers using facebook and the like instead of the clumsy print/media marketing scheme.

When the other manufacturers solve their cash loss problems by cutting their sales staffs, raise lens and flash prices, reduce their advertising budgets at a time when Pentax is pulling themselves up will make Pentax look even better. This is only my own wild speculation, but it's a speculation I am willing to put money on.

Hope you're feeling better ratmagiclady!
09-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
I agree. I spoke with John Carlson at a trade show this summer and asked him what Pentax was doing to drive business. He admitted they obviously don't have the budget to be the official camera of the NFL, but he did give me a glimpse of their current and future efforts to put the name in front of the consumer.

When the other manufacturers solve their cash loss problems by cutting their sales staffs, raise lens and flash prices, reduce their advertising budgets at a time when Pentax is pulling themselves up will make Pentax look even better. This is only my own wild speculation, but it's a speculation I am willing to put money on.
Well, good to hear that sort of thing..

I hope they keep along with some of the stuff they've been doing: I like my K20d a lot. I kind of hope this plan involves a maybe-weathersealed 28 or 30ish lens that's cheaper than the 31. (Lovely, but out of reach for me.) I'd like to see em do well.

QuoteQuote:
Hope you're feeling better ratmagiclady!
Thanks! Think I'm getting there. I get these darn flare-ups and it can be a bit of a painful slog to get moving around again. (Rheumatoid thing: if I can't get my exercise, it's gonna hurt like you wouldn't believe when I do. I was out shooting a bit, today, though. (Still lots of cameras around, too)

09-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote

While the plan did not include giving away piles of cameras or having some super hunky spokesman, the plan does seem relevant and in line with the direction marekting efforts are going. With the ROI getting more difficult to measure with more conventional marketing plans, I think we'll see more of the camera makers using facebook and the like instead of the clumsy print/media marketing scheme.
I think the road show in the U.S. and Pentax had a "meet the rep" promo in Western Canada at a large chain store that has an excellent camera department, are the kind of marketing that is going to work and does not cost a fortune. I notice the staff at my local outlet of this chain are all Pentax users themselves. A good sign.
09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I think the road show in the U.S. and Pentax had a "meet the rep" promo in Western Canada at a large chain store that has an excellent camera department, are the kind of marketing that is going to work and does not cost a fortune. I notice the staff at my local outlet of this chain are all Pentax users themselves. A good sign.
Very good to hear this news.

I would think that its very much harder for a large company to reduce costs in a marked economical downturn than a small company like Pentax. In my thinking, Pentax only needs 1 very good pro-consumer camera like the K7 and one entry level camera like the Km (that also can be extremely portable). I think the large camera companies must spend a ton of money building all these different varients and then trying to differentiate their qualities and sell them to consumers. The classic precedent is the volkswagon and the Model T. You can't get any car you want as along as its black. Don't drive up one's costs by endless window dressing. Spend Pentax labor on basic good performance issues, the Pentax consumer, i think, is a good judge of what performance needs to be in a camera for IQ.

But i don't know how Pentax can deal with the complex sensor issues. Samsung at times seems like an indifferent partner, although i like my K20's performance. Different thread i know :-)
09-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I guess Pentax solved their expenses in Scandinavia by cutting their entire sales staff.

Seems like they feel that it's a good idea to having the importer of Panasonic (which is a very profitable brand at the moment) doing Pentax as well.

Very nice going Pentax. Seems like you are taking the countries with some of the highest spendings per capita on DSLR's pretty seriously.... <sarcasm>I'm very impressed by that strategy, I must say</sarcasm>
09-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Good news, thanks
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax's profits would have soared tremendously since the inception of this forum.
there's a lot of truth in that. It would be interesting to know how much. Considering most sales are on line and as good old RH used to call me, "a useless Fanboy" I'm sure many of us have done a lot to sell some cameras and lenses.

I hear that the K-7 sales have exceeded expectations, I'd love to see some hard sales figures though.

Imagine if the next camera was 24x36 at $1999 or so....
09-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter

I have to think that having people excited about your products is a good thing, wherever it is at. Sure, there are fan boys here, but there is a lot of honest discussion as well about what is good about the cameras and what could be better. There are also an awful lot of photos that are easy to access that draw people in, not only to cameras, but to lenses. Finally, there is a sense of community that allows people the benefit of support, other than what Pentax itself offers.
09-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

This is good news, and I am happy they turned a profit. I wish that they would look at low cost items that could add to that profit. Tokina is only selling their lenses in the Canon, Nikon and I think soon to include Sony. However, with the Tokina 11-16/f2.8 lens, Pentax could very easily attach the K mount, and have a fast f2.8 range from 11 to 135mm. Given the Pentax premium over Tokina in market price, this would be low hanging fruit to harvest.

I believe that there a number of similar opportunities, relatively inexpensively that would prove to be ultimately very profitable.