Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 08:47 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
fine print from Forbes...

.. Pentax division is likely to break even or post an operating profit of several hundred million yen in the July-September quarter due to restructuring efforts in digital camera operations.
It's a profit for sure and I'm glad that Pentax Camera will at least not be in the red but 999 million yen is still less than $11 million US. Not a terribly huge sum. Correct me if I am wrong.

09-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's the strategy:

Buy an ailing company for a miserly sum of money. Trim down the dead branches, rake the leaves. Make it profitable; sell it for 3 times the amount you bought it for.
09-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Yep. Though, it's not the case here... Hoya is quite a respectable company, you know? And Pentax, at that time, was not really "an ailing company" (the K10D had quite a success, remember?), it wasn't bought "for a misery sum of money" either. And I doubt they could sell it (let's forget they want the medical part) for 3 times the money... maybe, for 3 times less - and even then... Guess what... your strategy wouldn't work...
Or... maybe that's your secret wish? You desperately want Pentax to die, be sold, enter bankruptcy, disappear into oblivion?

P.S. It's amazing how, every time a nice Pentax camera appears, some people starts spreading such "the sky is falling" messages.
09-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hoys seeks partner -- explicit admission: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Old news. Do you want to say that "partner" means "someone to buy this piece of junk from us"? If so, don't bother...
09-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #36
RaduA

Somebody just got into the dorm and get back connected to the net I see!
09-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Old news. Do you want to say that "partner" means "someone to buy this piece of junk from us"? If so, don't bother...
Just because it's old, doesn't mean it is no longer valid.

Hoya is a respectable company, but business is business. They got the medical division; that's what they were after. Time to pair the camera division with someone else. Unless they've had a change of hearts, seeing as they've turned a profit all of a sudden.

09-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #38
Pentaxian

"
QuoteQuote:
Our digital camera business is not exactly a big operation. There are naturally questions among us whether it is big enough to go it alone," Hoya Chief Executive Hiroshi Suzuki told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday.
"I'm afraid it will need some sort of alliance with another company in the long term."
"Some sort of alliance" doesn't means "sell everything", and it's obvious that nothing was decided anyway.
Panasonic and Olympus have "some sort of alliance". Fuji and Nikon, also. Don't forget about Pentax and Samsung.
No matter how hard you try, you can't make up "proofs" that Hoya wants to sell Pentax.

"Time to pair the camera division with someone else"? Why on Earth would they do that? Closely integrating all of Pentax into it's own organizational structure, making efforts in defining a winning strategy, pumping up the R&D budget, getting some nice products on the market... why on Earth would they sell Pentax, more so in the middle of a global crysis? Because you decided they only want the medical division? Ridiculous. What's the point in desperately wanting to spread such low-quality FUD?
09-17-2009, 02:10 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I get it now. Anyone who expresses an opinion you don't agree with becomes an enemy of the state. We're way past 1989. Communism is over. Quit being such a zealot. Pentax won't give you a free camera.
09-17-2009, 02:20 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Now, now... are you trying to make your FUD to pass as an opinion, and attack me because I won't accept it? Nice try...
But, in your Pentax-must-die frenzy, can you find the answer to the most elementary question: Why on Earth had a thread called "Good news from Japan: Pentax getting profitable for Hoya" turned into a "Hoya will sell Pentax/ the sky is falling" discussion? Even right after a new (and very interesting) product launch. Are you really unable to accept that good things might happen to Pentax, or what?
09-17-2009, 02:41 AM   #41
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I get it now. Anyone who expresses an opinion you don't agree with becomes an enemy of the state. We're way past 1989. Communism is over. Quit being such a zealot. Pentax won't give you a free camera.
Btw, I see that you're still ashamed of being Romanian and still eager to call names when you lack arguments. I bet your life is simple because when you have no gear and no experience you can write thousands of posts with ease ... about anything and nothing.

Alex doesn't need free cameras because he buys what he likes you should give it a try sometime and support Pentax DIRECTLY with at least one dime before being such a wise guy about so many things. Oh, I forgot you can't afford it because talking is much easier than putting long hard work hours.

Radu
09-17-2009, 02:49 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Now, now... are you trying to make your FUD to pass as an opinion, and attack me because I won't accept it? Nice try...
But, in your Pentax-must-die frenzy, can you find the answer to the most elementary question: Why on Earth had a thread called "Good news from Japan: Pentax getting profitable for Hoya" turned into a "Hoya will sell Pentax/ the sky is falling" discussion? Even right after a new (and very interesting) product launch. Are you really unable to accept that good things might happen to Pentax, or what?
I suggest you take a crash course in reading comprehension. Where did I say the sky was falling? If it happens, it happens. I don't mind if they do, I don't mind if they don't. I'll be happily taking pictures with my Pentax cameras regardless.

And whoever said that if the camera division is sold off there won't be any more Pentax products? Look at Konica-Minolta's camera division. It's doing very very well nowadays. Far better under Sony's umbrella. I'll be very happy if Hoya manage to turn Pentax back around as Sony did with KM.

Had too much coffee this morning, dincha?

PS: I'll stop replying to your flame bait now. You can continue taking things out of context on your own.
09-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #43
Pentaxian

My flame bait? What do you call that:
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Here's the strategy:

Buy an ailing company for a miserly sum of money. Trim down the dead branches, rake the leaves. Make it profitable; sell it for 3 times the amount you bought it for.
on a positive topic about Pentax? You, again, fail to answer to this question - hiding behind your fingers.
Besides, you fail to prove every single point you make. That Pentax - in the K10D's days of glory - was an ailing company (they were profitable back then, btw). That Hoya's intent was, even for a moment, to keep the medical and sell the camera division. And that they could make a profit this way (very doubtful, IMO).

Why should we endlessly discuss the "what if Pentax will be sold" scenario? I'm getting bored with that. "Pentax will be sold to Samsung", "Pentax will be sold to Fuji", "Pentax will be sold to BenQ", "Pentax will be sold to anyone". Nonsense - and I'd suggest you must read (and try to comprehend) the old Romanian story about the salt boulder (for non-Romanians: yes, it's a "the sky is falling!"-like story, about a salt boulder that could fall and kill a baby. Sorry, I don't know of any English translation).
There are clear hints that Hoya is serious about Pentax, and we see clear proof on this matter: successful products like the K-m, K-7 and, now, the K-x (which, I don't have a doubt, will sell quite well). And, no matter what you say, Pentax being sold is a sign of weakness, a high degree of uncertainty about their future.
In the end, it doesn't matter even if Pentax will disappear tomorrow; I would use my Pentax gear for the moment, and slowly switch (probably) to Nikon. But why even consider such an unlikely scenario? I like the constructive, the reasonable optimistic approach. Can Pentax succeed? Yep. Will they? Probably. Should I buy a Pentax product, if I want one, or maybe I should endlessly cry "the sky is falling, soon Pentax might be sold"? I guess my brand new 60-250 (yes, I'm bragging here ) answers this.

And now, since you decided you'll stop replying, I hope now we will be able to enjoy a quite positive view of Hoya/Pentax Imaging Systems evolution. After all, the sky is not falling yet
09-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #44
Inactive Account

Whew! Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Making personal attacks is neither polite or proper net-etiquette for this forum.

I'll take a peek back here later today so see if everyone is playing nice.

If not, you can continue your spat elsewhere and I'll lock this thread down.

Have a great day folks.
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The way Hoya have kept Pentax as a unity proves that they have had no plans for separating and selling off the camera division. They have even kept the Pentax medical dept intact and not fusing it with Hoyas own. If Hoya sells off Pentax, and there are no reason to assume so, they will sell the whole of Pentax.....