Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good news from Japan: Pentax getting profitable for Hoya?

"Hoya Corp., Japan’s largest maker of eyeglass lenses, gained 3.8 percent after the Nikkei newspaper reported its Pentax camera division will likely avoid a loss."

Japan Stocks Rise to Nine-Day High on Recovery Hope; Hoya Gains - Bloomberg.com

09-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information. Maybe the down sizing and slimming the organization is paying off. Making it without loss in these times is very good!
09-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
"Hoya Corp., Japan’s largest maker of eyeglass lenses, gained 3.8 percent after the Nikkei newspaper reported its Pentax camera division will likely avoid a loss."

Japan Stocks Rise to Nine-Day High on Recovery Hope; Hoya Gains - Bloomberg.com
I'm sure the purchase of my last lens put them in the black

Seriously, i'm glad they will likely be in the black, quite an accomplishment in the global recesssion. It seems to me that they have the strongest lens lineup in the last 2 years, the K20 and K7 both seem to be selling well.

It would be interesting to know whether the medical application part of Pentax or the camera part brought in the profits, or both?
09-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-M has also proved popular.

Good stuff.

09-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I've done my share of trying to keep them in the black over the years.
09-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely a good thing. The thing that will keep Hoya investing more R and D money in Pentax, is if it actually shows some return for it and signs of growth over all. I have to think that both the K2000 and the K7 have hit good spots and have/are selling well.
09-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It would be interesting to know whether the medical application part of Pentax or the camera part brought in the profits, or both?
Well, Bloomberg says it's the camera division, but Reuters and Forbes say only "Pentax division", so I'm not sure.

09-10-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Definitely a good thing. The thing that will keep Hoya investing more R and D money in Pentax, is if it actually shows some return for it and signs of growth over all. I have to think that both the K2000 and the K7 have hit good spots and have/are selling well.
The way I see it things will only get better (and soon) and that is 100% the merit of Hoya's strategy. After K-7 that pushed up the premium range for Pentax the new low end camera will be a very worthy competitor too. Kudos to Hoya for investing and maybe those actions will speak louder than the usual and ever recurring "sky is falling type of threads".

Radu
09-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, Bloomberg says it's the camera division, but Reuters and Forbes say only "Pentax division", so I'm not sure.
fine print from Forbes...

.. Pentax division is likely to break even or post an operating profit of several hundred million yen in the July-September quarter due to restructuring efforts in digital camera operations.
09-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax's profits would have soared tremendously since the inception of this forum.
09-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Pentax's profits would have soared tremendously since the inception of this forum.
Somebody tell Thom Hogan.
09-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Somebody tell Thom Hogan.
Would he listen?
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #13

This is certainly soothing news. As my investment in Pentax grows, I really dread the fact that continued downsizing and cutting of R&D budgets spells disaster for the brand. Hopefully, Hoya will only carry Pentax through tough economic times with cost cutting but will soon realise that a serious investement in lens and body development is imperative in the long run.
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
This is certainly soothing news. As my investment in Pentax grows, I really dread the fact that continued downsizing and cutting of R&D budgets spells disaster for the brand. Hopefully, Hoya will only carry Pentax through tough economic times with cost cutting but will soon realise that a serious investement in lens and body development is imperative in the long run.
A very astute comment. While Pentax's improved financial performance is welcome, it comes primarily from tackling the bottom line through cost cutting - as Hoya's CEO discussed in his recent interview. He went on to say - as I'm sure you read as well - that a truly sustainable camera business (i.e. an attractive top line) will require a partnership, owing to small size of Pentax's camera operation. Let's hope he succeeds.

Jer
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is very good news.. Were Nikon & Sony are going south.. Pentax is a brand of the future! Hoya now understand the real great future that Pentax can have... This will give samsung and any other future partner confidence in the Pentax brand under Hoya (: