Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So the Yen has dropped by 10% or so. Does that mean I get a cheaper K7?

After all, weren't the price rises supposed to be linked in with the soaring value of the Yen?

Check out currency rates

09-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
kyc
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USD to JPY

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
After all, weren't the price rises supposed to be linked in with the soaring value of the Yen?

Check out currency rates
The way the exchange rate is quoted here, the falling value actually means yen appreciation. Even though the chart is titled "JPY to USD" the ratio shown is USD/JPY, so currently you need a bit less than 93 yen to buy one US dollar. This is down from a year ago where it took more than 100 yen to buy one US dollar. For the same price in yen, this means the USD price is higher today.

So the chart actually suggests that US prices should continue to rise!
09-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Wht KYC said
09-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kyc Quote
The way the exchange rate is quoted here, the falling value actually means yen appreciation. Even though the chart is titled "JPY to USD" the ratio shown is USD/JPY, so currently you need a bit less than 93 yen to buy one US dollar. This is down from a year ago where it took more than 100 yen to buy one US dollar. For the same price in yen, this means the USD price is higher today.

So the chart actually suggests that US prices should continue to rise!
Another way to read this is, $1000 bought 100,000 Yen in April. Now $1000 buys only 92,000 Yen. If a Japanese item cost 100,000 Yen the entire time, it would now take $1086.95 (1000/.92) to buy the item.

Still doesn't account for the 25% plus price increases, but I'd bet Hoya has de-stocked the inventory they bought and is now manufacturing again, and they want to turn a decent profit.

Yahoo Finance USD/JPY Currency Conversion Chart

09-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops.
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Price drop or not, I still have a yen for the K7. (Well, maybe my yen has dropped about 10%)
09-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone think that prices will ever go back down again to around the spot they were at a year ago?

I think a lot of the people leaving the Pentax system are doing so because the 'value' buy isn't quite as good as it was before. When I look at our top lenses and they're all hovering around $1,000- that's a HUGE difference from a year or so ago!

A lot of these lenses seem to be even more expensive now than they were when they were first on offer!!

09-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Anyone think that prices will ever go back down again to around the spot they were at a year ago?

I think a lot of the people leaving the Pentax system are doing so because the 'value' buy isn't quite as good as it was before. When I look at our top lenses and they're all hovering around $1,000- that's a HUGE difference from a year or so ago!

A lot of these lenses seem to be even more expensive now than they were when they were first on offer!!
Well, Pentax held out longer than anyone raising prices, it seems.

Usually with currency changes, the people who do the selling have every incentive to raise the price and say it was all cause of that, but they aren't about to be the first to lower them until they have to.
09-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All Japanese goods rocketed up in price, not just cameras or Pentax.

The reason why prices rose so fast, so far has a lot to do with the Yen carry trade and its vanishing act. As interest rates worldwide plummeted, capital stopped going to Japan to borrow Yen. That made the cost of business for all Japanese companies rise, and layoffs were a result.

Until there is arbitrage again between the Yen and the US$, prices on Japanese goods will stay relatively high. I'd say, get used to it.
09-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

the answer to the topic (disregarding the fact that it was actualy a yen increase not drop in value) is: no, it only works the other way around: you pay more when the yen goes up, you get the privilege to pay the same when it goes down (no increase). yes, this is "tongue in cheek"

now for the other part: will people stop mentioning pentax being the last to increase prices, quoting the yen fluctuations and "economic dowturn"? i think that's what is technically called "a strawman". we've been through this before: in the case of pentax lenses, it can only be strategy or pure madness (or perhaps pure madness with dreams of being strategy), and, if you were to "believe" this "economic downturn" "story", at the wrong time, too. pentax lenses are now more expensive than any other equivalents, except maybe nikon here and there (and nikon have a long standing reputation for that, which they must defend ), they are also definetly much more expensive than when they were first introduced (including the most recent ones, like the 60-250/4). finally, if you still think i'm just ranting, try to convert the current european price for a premium pentax lens in yen, at the current rate, and the original price (or a price you can remember, the price you bought it for when it was still "cheap", whatever) at the rate of the time when that price was valid, i assure it is still considerably more expensive even in yen, so no, it's not (just) the exchange rate.

i am really fond of pentax, but facts are facts: this is simply too much. if we're going to try and justify it for them, please at least find something good, something i'll have to work hard to dismiss. this is... old

09-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote

i am really fond of pentax, but facts are facts: this is simply too much. if we're going to try and justify it for them, please at least find something good, something i'll have to work hard to dismiss. this is... old

Production costs have risen dramatically as capital has become scarce and new production lines are not opened. Price rises to a clearing level with scant supply.

When supply increases prices will decline (or price rises will cease).

Last edited by monochrome; 09-17-2009 at 06:14 PM.
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

right. i can understand that, and that's something that affects pretty much everyone, to varied extents, but the variation cannot be that spectacular, can it? however, when you are at the point where there's a question if you are about to turn your premium glass into "proof of concept" products, because "nobody" buys them, it starts to put a different spin on it all, eh?

again: keep in mind things look very different on this side of the pond (haven't checked us prices in a while, but last time i have, they were well behind), if you had to pay 1000bucks (of whatever kind) for something you were resigned to having to pay 500 for just a few months ago, you would probably understand my... curiosity towards the subject better
09-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so after having proved myself economically inept, I will hazard another point.

Will the true test of profit taking be upcoming sales for Christmas? I still get the feeling that there is a lot of margin and not a lot of stock compared to last year and the attendant clean out by stores. I question whether retailers have been gouging as this year there were not the usual deals to be had in January and February.
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

I don't t think that you can equate the drop of the yen with the price of a K7, simple because the said item for one isn't being assembled in Japan. Hehe.
09-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

the launch price of k-7 is unarguably excellent, imho, however you look at it (okay, maybe good, if not excellent). it is pretty much the same as that for the k20d. sounds reasonable to me. the real problem is the lens prices imho.

i doubt if it makes a difference where they actually assmeble them (though i do get the irony in your statement )