Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Ads....

I've noticed there seems to be a Pentax advertising campaign here on the island. You can't help but come across these ads at the mall...or driving down the highway... and apparently the Pentax reps were in the stores on the mainland.

It's too bad they haven't updated the ad (fuzzy pic taken with my cell phone)...they have been using the same ad for a few years, but at least they are up again. They are also up on billboards.

I thought I would post as from what others have posted the past few months, it sounds like Pentax has gone silent in most places. I'm curious to know if BC is the only place they are investing in advertising???

09-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's going on with Canada? We can't even get product on the shelves down here and they are advertised in the Mall up there!

It is almost enough to make me want to move north again!

Steve

(Lived in BC in the early 1980s...)
09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
cyg

Hey, I think I actually saw that precise ad -- it was in a mall in Victoria, right across from a camera shop (Japan photo or something), right?

I actually have a picture of a *double* billboard ad for Pentax that was up in Montreal last year...
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes.....right outside Japan camera (the owner states he uses a k20d). It's actually in quite a few spots in the mall....you can't miss it. Probably why you see people walking around holding onto a Pentax as well...

Victoria isn't very big....but between the chains like London drugs or the smaller outlets, there are probably 8 to 10 shops with Pentax. You can walk in and pick up a K-7 or DA* off the shelf...

I don't understand why they are not doing well in the US....

09-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Those could be ads that the local dealer is placing, not Pentax.
09-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Those could be ads that the local dealer is placing, not Pentax.
Billboards on the highway? perhaps I guess...
09-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I do not want billboards, shiny A3 sized brochures, full-page adds, T.V. spots and free camera's for super star photographers...
This is what's happening over here with 'the other two brands'. I do not want to pay for it. We all know that advertising is a huge part of the product prize and does not improve product quality.
It simply is a good camera, we just have to tell and prove it to the world.

09-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A lot of ads on all the camera mags in Japan, especially around the announcmment/release of the K-7.
I think this Russian ad is the best.
Anyone know where ot was featured?

Last edited by mickey; 03-02-2010 at 12:24 AM.
09-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That russian ad is great. Wish they'd do that here :-P
But I'm just happy I saw ads in Outdoor Photographer mag :-)
09-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That shake reduction ad is pretty old. I remember seeing it in downtown and in front of Vistek (where I bought my K100D) around January 2008.

That K-7 Russian ad is wow.... that's what I'm talking about!
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

what Pentax lacks is tv ads. I'm sure it would get a lot of buzz once they do that. especially crazy commercials. anyway, I think the Rebel T1i is a marketing failure. I don't see anyone liking that camera inspite of all the promotions on mags, newspapers, billboards and tv commercials.

gosh, I so want to look for a marketing ad job for Pentax. I could help them a lot to promote their products.
09-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #12

Well, as far as I have been understanding Pentax strategy for years, it was always Pentax' intention to appeal by designing and engineering excellent gear and not by advertisements - just like Canon and Nikon does. One might also want to add, that for every marketing gag we will need to pay.
09-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flomat Quote
Well, as far as I have been understanding Pentax strategy for years, it was always Pentax' intention to appeal by designing and engineering excellent gear and not by advertisements - just like Canon and Nikon does. One might also want to add, that for every marketing gag we will need to pay.
the way that PENTAX/HOYA is earning right now (especially after jacking up to price of lenses a few months ago), ads is only a short change and it would not affect the price at all.

there's nothing with a few commercials if the result would be a dramatic increase in sales which is more beneficial for Pentax.
09-14-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

advertising dollars dont come from raising prices, they come from selling. i think we have seen a small boost in pentax lately, and no doubt that will raise camera sales proportionately.

so after a small sales boost, that is a bit more money for the marketing funds right?

i could be wrong but thats how i run my business and it works. problem was i got too much work and wasn't strategized appropriately. i wonder if pentax might suffer this problem.
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In Germany, dealers could gather "points" by selling Pentax gear.

The "points" were convertible into marketing activity financement.

Like magazine ads, subway posters, billboards, etc.

I've seen pretty much Pentax advertizement over the last year in Germany. So it seems to have worked out ok. Such like this photo I posted a while ago: