Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the biggest hurdle for Pentax is getting their cameras in US stores. I don't think the spark to buy a dSLR here happens until a potential consumer picks one up. Hands down Pentax just feels better in build quality when compared to like-priced competition. Has anyone here picked up one of the competitions cameras lately. Canons feel like cheap plastic toys and Nikons aren't far behind. When I bought a k200d, I picked up a XSi and a D60 and it was a no brainer. This kind of exposure is priceless and greatly needed.

09-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
I think the biggest hurdle for Pentax is getting their cameras in US stores. I don't think the spark to buy a dSLR here happens until a potential consumer picks one up. Hands down Pentax just feels better in build quality when compared to like-priced competition. Has anyone here picked up one of the competitions cameras lately. Canons feel like cheap plastic toys and Nikons aren't far behind. When I bought a k200d, I picked up a XSi and a D60 and it was a no brainer. This kind of exposure is priceless and greatly needed.
You're making that mistake where you think that people will pick up a camera and want it because it feels good. People will pick up a Canon and a Nikon because it has their logo on it.
09-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Putting the camera on display behind the counter is good but putting the camera for everybody to touch (like Bestbuy did) is bad; as most of time, the cameras are really abused (missing parts and full of germs with smudges). Most of those who bought Pentax because they ask for it, not being sold by sales people.
09-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
You're making that mistake where you think that people will pick up a camera and want it because it feels good. People will pick up a Canon and a Nikon because it has their logo on it.
Maybe... If you tell them, they won't buy it. If they see it, yes they really might do. It's cool, yeah.

09-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Maybe... If you tell them, they won't buy it. If they see it, yes they really might do. It's cool, yeah.
It is definitely better than not being able to see and handle one before buying.
09-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The problem is that people graduate to SLR technology, they don't tend to start with it. Pentax need to expand their brand and reputation in the high end P&S market before their SLR market share will increase.
09-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax had the largest selling SLR in history the K1000. Mostly sold to photography students. Yet when the students finished the schooling they bought Canons or Nikons. It's all about marketing...
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
The problem is that people graduate to SLR technology, they don't tend to start with it. Pentax need to expand their brand and reputation in the high end P&S market before their SLR market share will increase.
High end P&S? Does such thing exist?
I know it exists but most people do not. Moreover, having a P&S which cost 300+ euros is not serious at all, I mean, such an expensive camera has to be bigger don't you think?

Ok, this is BS but most people will react that way

09-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

You ask a Canon user, the G10 is the high-end P&S which also provides external flash and some (limited) degree of control. I believe most people use it as a backup camera or rather use it in stealth mode. BTW, Ricoh GR series is also regarded as advanced P&S.
09-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I know it exists but most people do not. Moreover, having a P&S which cost 300+ euros is not serious at all, I mean, such an expensive camera has to be bigger don't you think?

Ok, this is BS but most people will react that way
Ok, point taken

I think that the thing people wany most from a camera is good photos; it seems obvious, but it's easily forgotton. My other half has a Panasonic P&S with 28-486mm equiv Lica lens on it. Suffice to say that the pictures are very very good!

Now suppose she wants more control over focus and depth of field, she's going to either step up to a m4/3 Panasonic, or a Canon/Nikon. Pentax isn't the obvious upgrade, nor is it the cheapest upgrade.

Pentax need to make a **really** cheap entry level k-mount dSLR camera to capture these upgraders who just want a big P&S with proper controls! Once they've bought into the system, they'll want the next model up... that's where Canon have been really successful.
09-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Pentax need to make a **really** cheap entry level k-mount dSLR camera to capture these upgraders who just want a big P&S with proper controls!
But they do - isn't the K-m/K2000 one of the cheapest out there now? It still appears on the pentax.jp site, it is not discontinued yet.

EDIT: I just checked japanese yodobashi.com, and it seems like the only camera they currently sell that is slightly cheaper than the K-m is the Sony A230. I also checked bestbuy.com - and there the K2000 is the least expensive (A230 is #2).

Last edited by gazonk; 09-21-2009 at 01:50 AM.
09-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Pentax need to make a **really** cheap entry level k-mount dSLR camera to capture these upgraders who just want a big P&S with proper controls!
That's what the K-x is. Yep, the 650$ list price K-x. Right now, it's not the cheapest camera, it can't compete on price with 3-years old cameras. But as the K-m, it's designed to be sold at much lower prices while still making a profit.
09-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You ask a Canon user, the G10 is the high-end P&S which also provides external flash and some (limited) degree of control. I believe most people use it as a backup camera or rather use it in stealth mode. BTW, Ricoh GR series is also regarded as advanced P&S.
My comments were tongue in cheek. Read again all comments from my post. And not the smilies
09-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Some people will:

Thanks for the help. I bought it today :): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I own a Canon XS as my digital body. I bought it because it's a very capible 10mp shooter, I can use lens adaptors and still meter, and it cost $425CDN with Kit lens. If there was a Pentax model there in its place I would have concidered it.

There were no Pentax models in the shop I bought it. I don't believe that Bestbuy or Walmart or Futureshop sell Pentax either. The only big store that does is London Drugs and the cheapest model is twice the price. (K20D $1000).

If Pentax isn't put in front of somebody and the customer doesn't seek out Pentax equipment, they aren't going to buy it. The average Joe doesn't venture into a camera store these days. Even if they do, I dare say that the typical camera store employee would recommend the Canon or Nikon models because it would be an easier sell.