Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Had a 4% Share of DSLR in 2008

According to Photoscala Pentax had a 4% market share of DSLR in 2008. Down from 5% market share in 2006. Canon of course hold the largest share of the market, but their market share actually dropped 8 1/2 percent from 2006 to 2008. Nikon and Sony were the big gainers.

DSLR-Welt im Wandel (2x aktualisiert) | photoscala

09-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the quote.

Unfortunately, they give no quote. I recognized the 2006 figures and their 2008 figures seem to be same source, unavailable up to now.

Side notes:
2006: Pentax 5% + Samsung 1% = 6% (of 5.3 million units) = 320,000 PK SLRs
2008: Pentax 4% + Samsung 0% = 4% (of 9.7 million units) = 390,000 PK SLRs
(and shrinking market in 2009, with 8 to 8.5 million units, system cameras)

Inconsistency: they quote a win&loss for Pentax of 0% while it is -1%.

Other fascinating bit: Sony managed to take over 1/6 of Canon's business
09-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Not bad considering Pentax had NOTHING exciting going on last year. What they had were two solid but not particularly innovative DSLR's that skipped the low and high end of the APS-C market:

K200D was great but kind of a tweener. A few promiment review sites said as much. I imagine many people went higher or lower end. I personally opted for the discontinued K10D's dual dials and better viewfinder for a slightly higher price. Again, a good camera and a nice upgrade from the K100D but not a Pentax Evangelizer in any way.

K20D was another great camera but really not a head-turner in any way. Too similar to K10D(on the surface at least) and despite awesome build and image quality for the money its performance was not on par with its competitors. Like the K200D, a great camera for Pentax's existing market but nothing to grab the attention of Olympians or Canikonites.

2009 should look better.

The K-m got great reviews and is priced nicely. People upgrading from P&S now have a compelling and cost effective option to invest in the Pentax system.

The K-7 is an E-3 Killer (to me this is HUGE) and despite still trailing in ISO performance, a viable 50D and D300 competitor. Add to that some novel features and a uniquely small package, the K-7 appeals to both Pentax's core market as well as new users.

So, anyone want to field a guess on how Photoscala's results will look next year? Would I? Sure, I'm no expert but here goes:

Canon will still shrink but I'm not sure how much. Nikon and Sony might beat on them pretty hard this holiday season. Lets see how the 7D does against the D300S.

I predict Sony will continue to steal from Canon's plate with the A850.

Nikon will stay about the same rate if not better. Let's see how Sony affects them too. Nikon does have a really solid product offering in every segment of the market. I personally loathe Nikon (for their features-to-pricing ratios and smug users) but I have to admire their product quality and business savvy.

Not sure what will happen to Olympus. The EP-1 is quite unique and innovative but its pricey and apparently not that user friendly for upward-bound P&S people. The 2009 e-series are not particularly innovative, the creative filters are cool(I guess?) but not a game changer in any way. It's possible Pentax or Panasonic could knock Oly back a spot or two.

Pentax will stay in 5th but I don't predict it will lose more market share maybe 0% or slight growth. However, Pentax will be profitable for Hoya per recent news.

Panasonic is the wild card here. Let's see how the G-1 series does.

Last edited by PaddyB; 09-13-2009 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Too much coffee
09-13-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
It will be very interesting to see what happens this year

Last edited by saien; 09-13-2009 at 02:19 AM.
09-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow.... is that it? Less than 10million dslrs sold world wide? I would have thought it would be more.

mike
09-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Not sure what will happen to Olympus. The EP-1 is quite unique and innovative but its pricey and apparently not that user friendly for upward-bound P&S people. The 2009 e-series are not particularly innovative, the creative filters are cool(I guess?) but not a game changer in any way. It's possible Pentax or Panasonic could knock Oly back a spot or two.
I disagree. I think Olympus is Pentax's closest competition and, at the moment, offers a more marketable lineup. The E-450 and E-620 are the most interesting bottom end dSLR's around today (my opinion). The E-620 particularly offers a very impressive feature set for the price (it's basically an E-30 wth a smaller view-finder and battery). A friend who works in a significant camera store tells me that the EP-1 seems to be generating a heap of interest (despite it's apparent flaws) both amongst people upgrading from P&S's and enthusiasts looking for an SLR backup.

The only area where Pentax beats Olympus is top-end enthusiast, with the K-7 and E-30 respectively, and as we all know, enthusiasts models make up a fairly small portion of sales.

I predict Olympus, Panasonic and Sony as the big growers this year.
09-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

2009 should look better.
You are off by one year. If I am not wrong, the considered business years typically end by spring and the 2008 figures are for April 2008 to March 2009 or something like that. 2009 will look worse. The current period would be 2010.

If I remember correctly from an interview, Pentax was "hoping" for 340,000 units in business year 2009.
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Wow.... is that it? Less than 10million dslrs sold world wide? I would have thought it would be more.
And 100 million P&S.

Still, with 3 years deprecation time, there must be 1 million digital Pentax SLR shooters and only ~1-2% ever registered at this forum

Last edited by falconeye; 09-13-2009 at 08:50 AM.
09-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I disagree. I think Olympus is Pentax's closest competition and, at the moment, offers a more marketable lineup. The E-450 and E-620 are the most interesting bottom end dSLR's around today (my opinion). The E-620 particularly offers a very impressive feature set for the price (it's basically an E-30 wth a smaller view-finder and battery). A friend who works in a significant camera store tells me that the EP-1 seems to be generating a heap of interest (despite it's apparent flaws) both amongst people upgrading from P&S's and enthusiasts looking for an SLR backup.

The only area where Pentax beats Olympus is top-end enthusiast, with the K-7 and E-30 respectively, and as we all know, enthusiasts models make up a fairly small portion of sales.

I predict Olympus, Panasonic and Sony as the big growers this year.
Depends on what pentax do with the the price of the k7 (or what the km replacement has on offer). If the k7 drops to k20d prices in 18months time then they will sell a bucket load of them. Current k20d prices are almost the same as entry level cameras.

09-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not bad considering Pentax had NOTHING exciting going on last year. What they had were two solid but not particularly innovative DSLR's that skipped the low and high end of the APS-C market:

K200D was great but kind of a tweener. A few promiment review sites said as much. I imagine many people went higher or lower end. I personally opted for the discontinued K10D's dual dials and better viewfinder for a slightly higher price. Again, a good camera and a nice upgrade from the K100D but not a Pentax Evangelizer in any way.

K20D was another great camera but really not a head-turner in any way. Too similar to K10D(on the surface at least) and despite awesome build and image quality for the money its performance was not on par with its competitors. Like the K200D, a great camera for Pentax's existing market but nothing to grab the attention of Olympians or Canikonites.

2009 should look better.

The K-m got great reviews and is priced nicely. People upgrading from P&S now have a compelling and cost effective option to invest in the Pentax system.

The K-7 is an E-3 Killer (to me this is HUGE) and despite still trailing in ISO performance, a viable 50D and D300 competitor. Add to that some novel features and a uniquely small package, the K-7 appeals to both Pentax's core market as well as new users.

So, anyone want to field a guess on how Photoscala's results will look next year? Would I? Sure, I'm no expert but here goes:

Canon will still shrink but I'm not sure how much. Nikon and Sony might beat on them pretty hard this holiday season. Lets see how the 7D does against the D300S.

I predict Sony will continue to steal from Canon's plate with the A850.

Nikon will stay about the same rate if not better. Let's see how Sony affects them too. Nikon does have a really solid product offering in every segment of the market. I personally loathe Nikon (for their features-to-pricing ratios and smug users) but I have to admire their product quality and business savvy.

Pentax will stay in 5th but I don't predict it will lose more market share maybe 0% or slight growth. However, Pentax will be profitable for Hoya per recent news.

Panasonic is the wild card here. Let's see how the G-1 series does.
I wonder how much of an impact the use of a particular brand by professional photographers has on the consumer market? Also, the availability of higher end models ...does that signify anything to the lower end market where most of the DSLR sales come from?

If these have any impact then perhaps the 645D and K-7 will add that credibility factor (or whatever you want to call it) to the brand and hopefully sell more DSLR cameras across the product line.
09-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Depends on what pentax do with the the price of the k7 (or what the km replacement has on offer). If the k7 drops to k20d prices in 18months time then they will sell a bucket load of them. Current k20d prices are almost the same as entry level cameras.
It needs to drop well before then, or they need a replacement for the K200D. This Christmas will be the season of the M4/3 DSLR (i we can call them DSLR's; they compete for the same customer) and for any DSLR with video.

The K-7 s a price point too high for that major sales segment. Either it drops fast or Pentax has something else.
09-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Maybe it is 0% - they've rounded all numbers to the nearest %. So the 5% of 2006 may be 4.5%, while the 4% of 2008 may be 4.4%...
09-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Maybe it is 0% - they've rounded all numbers to the nearest %. So the 5% of 2006 may be 4.5%, while the 4% of 2008 may be 4.4%...
This could be as of 8 difference values, 2 are too high and 1 is too low which is more or less what to expect from rounding errors. Wondering where they got their 2006 1/10% data from as I never saw them published...

Samsung, Leica, Fuji, Sigma etc. went from 2% to 1% with a difference of -2%. This probably means that Samsung disappeared in this segment.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-14-2009 at 04:30 AM.
09-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

from someone on DPR:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax . . . well, who knows what they are thinking by pulling out of all camera stores????

I had three people yesterday who wanted to look at the K7 . . .

All three of them told me that they are unwilling to buy a camera that they can't hold and try before they buy . . .

Looks like they will be looking to Canon, Nikon or Olympus!

PENTAX . . . what the #e!! are you thinking?
It is unfortunate that they pulled them because I like pentax's ergonomics (based on the k-m) compared to the competition.

I hope they can get them back in store and have adds like that russian one.
09-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Imaging Resource: K-7 - best-seller Pro-DSLR category

Dave's Picks: Professional SLR
09-18-2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
. . .

Side notes:
2006: Pentax 5% + Samsung 1% = 6% (of 5.3 million units) = 320,000 PK SLRs
2008: Pentax 4% + Samsung 0% = 4% (of 9.7 million units) = 390,000 PK SLRs
(and shrinking market in 2009, with 8 to 8.5 million units, system cameras)

Other fascinating bit: Sony managed to take over 1/6 of Canon's business
I'm a little late to this thread. However, this is why % can be deceiving. Pentax still sold 70,000 more units in 2008 than 2006 which is nearly a 22% increase.

Sony was the new face on the block in 2006 since taking over the Minolta plant so they really just "reclaimed" a portion of that market. I don't see these numbers as doom and gloom.