Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #151
Forum Member

:P imagine the limited lenses on the system

10-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Angevinn Quote
If Pentax does produce an EVIL camera I hope that the camera will have an APS-C sensor or for something truly awesome; a FF digital sensor.

A Pentax EVIL system would be cool, just not a Micro 4/3 sensor based system.
Ah. I had a brainwave about EVIL FF cameras a few hours ago and started a thread here ... now I see that you beat me to it. I doffs me hat to ye.
10-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I would snap up a Pentax compact like the Leica X1 with an APS-C sensor, fixed 24mm lens. This camera does not have to be an EVIL ...as a carry around camera I would be quite happy with a fixed 24mm. In fact Pentax could use the same sensor as the K-x that has the same pixel density as the Leica X1 and I am sure could compete with that camera in IQ at a considerably lower price.
I second that.
10-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #154

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I was just going to write the same!
There's a large gap between the largest P&S sensors in the best P&S cameras, e.g. the 1/1.63" sensor in the LX3, and the 4/3 format.

Imagine a camera with a 1:3 crop sensor with 10mp, that would give it approximately half the pixel density of the LX3.
What a great thread!

If you're talking about an intermediate step between P&S and M4:3, I think that we're heading straight into C mount and CS mount territory. I'm not sure if we should be calling it Nano 4:3 just yet, but we're talking about a sensor of, say, 16mm across (122mm area) and a flange focal distance of either 12.5mm or 17.526mm.

The disadvantages are well discussed already:
  • IQ degradation due to decreased sensor size and smaller optics at increasingly acute angles to the sensor.

The advantages of using C/CS mount are:
  • 3-5x the imaging area of a P&S
  • The optics have already been done to death
  • There is already a huge range of lenses, adaptors, filters and other accessories
  • Smaller registration distance means easier adaptability to all larger format lenses (no need for registration-correcting glass in the adaptors)

10-22-2009, 08:49 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I agree, the products dont interest me as an alternative to an SLR but as a second camera when I dont need the SLR.

As such, the interchangeable lens aspect is a bit pointless and they are too expensive.

If you are going to buy the 14-140 lens (which is quite big) you may as well buy a fixed lens zoom camera with the same sensor. Less complex, cheaper, and you can make a lens that retracts into the body to reduce size.

The sales are at least partly coming from people who liked bridge cameras but wanted a bigger sensor. They will take sales from them, and from some people for whom SLRs are just too much of a commitment, but I think mid-tier SLRs and upwards are quite safe for now.
Agreed, I am surprised the don't make a 4/3 fixed lens camera with something modest like an f/2.8 14-50mm lens. f/3.5 if they have to.
03-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Still thinking about buying a GH1, though GH2 specs are quite appealing

Still thinking about buying a GH1, though GH2 specs are quite appealing.

GH2 rumoured to have full touchscreen interface like G2, metal body, global shutter, new Venus II sensor.

If GH2 didn't look so appealing I'd buy a GH1 today.

Here's G2 specs:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1267952459.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
There's no problem with ultrawide imaging on m4/3 or 4/3 cameras.

Panasonic already makes available a 7-14mm f4 that crops out to 14-28mm f4:

Panasonic 7-14 f4 arrived - FM Forums

Panasonic's new to this Game and they already have a straight aperture ultrawide zoom. I guess it would compare to Pentax 12-24mm f4? Well except the Pentax crops out to 18-36mm. Pentax does have a fisheye 10-17mm that crops out to 15-35mm but its a fisheye & not rectilinear design.

Olympus (also) has one for 4/3 mount, a bigger version and designed 7-14mm f4.

Both are Highly Regarded

So with either micro 4/3 or 4/3 you're one lens purchase away from covering ultrawide imaging.

Then lets say you buy a GH1, and it comes bundled with a 14-140mm HD & Image Stibilized lens. So a person buys one additional lens, the 7-14mm f4 and for many this is a very complete set up. Two lens one camera, HD capture, multiple format choices covering a 14mm-280mm perspective.

Panasonic GH1 gallery and movie samples: Digital Photography Review

So now Pentax wants to consider entering in m4/3~like arena. I've said it before with vapore~ware Samsung NX, this race started in September 2008 when G1 launched. Panasonic already has glass, color choices and Samsung and Pentax, well they have plans and ideas.

Digital Camera Timeline: Digital Photography Review

One year later ,after G1 launch, Panasonic has THREE interchangeable mount m4/3 digitals.

Here's GH1 Review, which replaced the "preview"

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Samsungian; 03-19-2010 at 08:40 AM.
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #157
Banned

Pentax needs to come out with a full frame EVIL with 1080p60 and full manual control of video functions along with an SDXC slot that is Eye-Fi connected.
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #158
Site Supporter

Since this thread is back from the dead, wouldn't a digital 4/3 be close to a digital 110 and wouldn't it make sense to trot out the 110 lenses.

03-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Still thinking about buying a GH1, though GH2 specs are quite appealing.
I may be needing more video features soon for a project or two, so I've been looking at the GH1 closely. I wish the K7 would offer full manual controls, because I'd buy it in a second.

But the more I think about the GH1, the more I think about how the smaller sensor size and the greater DOF at equivalent F-stops might actually help keep moving objects in focus for video.
03-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #160
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I may be needing more video features soon for a project or two, so I've been looking at the GH1 closely. I wish the K7 would offer full manual controls, because I'd buy it in a second.

But the more I think about the GH1, the more I think about how the smaller sensor size and the greater DOF at equivalent F-stops might actually help keep moving objects in focus for video.
It is actually the DOF that sells mostly these HD-DSLRs. The shallower the DOF is, the more film-like-look you get, well, at least if we don't think about good lighting, directing, and actors for a second. You can always use a larger aperture to "deepen" the DOF.
03-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Manufacturers say they hope to win over compact camera users who find DSLRS 'big, heavy and difficult to operate'.
interesting...
I don't see how mirrorless camera would be any easier to operate than a DSLR.
maybe the plan is for a P&S with a big sensor? that doesn't make any sense
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
It is actually the DOF that sells mostly these HD-DSLRs. The shallower the DOF is, the more film-like-look you get, well, at least if we don't think about good lighting, directing, and actors for a second. You can always use a larger aperture to "deepen" the DOF.
I understand the desire for the film-like look that comes with shallow DOF, but I'm talking about low-light documentary situations, not in a film production where you can control the light. If you're recording someone in a dim, candlelit room and you're forced to shoot at F1.4, will the GH1 give you a couple more inches of DOF over the K7 and increase the odds that the shot will be in focus?
03-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #163
Inactive Account

i hope new pentax mirrorless wıll use AA batteries...
03-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
Yes, but if you're going for a look as "film-like" as possible, 4/3 is pretty darn close to the standard 35mm motion-picture frame size. Video from FF sensors would actually turn in (potentially) even shallower dof. I suspect for each filmmaking application there's a certain dof "sweet-spot," where dof is shallow enough for creative effects and atmosphere, but deep enough to ensure sharpness in even low lighting conditions (of course in serious films the lighting is almost always manmade, so it's less of an issue...).
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #165
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Yes, but if you're going for a look as "film-like" as possible, 4/3 is pretty darn close to the standard 35mm motion-picture frame size. Video from FF sensors would actually turn in (potentially) even shallower dof. I suspect for each filmmaking application there's a certain dof "sweet-spot," where dof is shallow enough for creative effects and atmosphere, but deep enough to ensure sharpness in even low lighting conditions (of course in serious films the lighting is almost always manmade, so it's less of an issue...).
Yes, all I am saying, is that possibly more options with a bigger sensor, than with a smaller one. I believe that, the DOF sweet-spot is dependent on many factors, when there is no option to light the scene, it really gets better, if smaller aperture actually is less soft. But I personally still like better when I have a APS-C sensor working under the hood
Also, I am no way affiliated with them, but NeatVideo plugin does an extraordinary job when it comes to reducing sensor noise. It is true, that it puts in an extra 10-30 minute work plus rendering, but the outcome is simply gorgeous.