Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
the 1/6000 shutter and 4.7 FPS is nice, if it's true.
that's well spec'd for an entry level.
I would trade that for 1/4000, 4.0 FPS and weather seals.

Prog.

09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
600 Euro for the 1-lens kit.

I hope it'll be offered body-only.
remember, than in EU, we've higher prices than in US

it should be cheaper in US than 880 dollar - maybe 750 or even 700 for one lens kit
09-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
Someone asked me what I was calling BS on - well, here it is (hope to be proved wrong)

• Capture widescreen HD video in full 720p resolution (1280×720) at 24 FPS cinematic framerate, using any PENTAX 35mm lens.

Why go with 24fps when your other is 30fps? Why call it 'PENTAX 35mm lens' - doesn't sound like usual Pentax wording to me...
I wouldn't be surprised if it does 24 and 30, but 24 is, as they said, "cinematic," being the framerate used in motion pictures.

QuoteQuote:
• True HDR image capture blends 3 bracketed images into a single picture with outstanding shadow, highlight, and midrange detail.

Would be smart to bring it down from the K-7, but I don't see the deature cascading so fast to entry-level, even though it is a more 'entry level' feel feature...
Takes basically nothing tech-wise to do this as long as you have a sufficiently fast processor/sensor. No reason not to bring it, especially since in-camera HDR will appeal most to newbies.

QuoteQuote:
• Fast 4.7 FPS capture speed and 1/6000 second maximum shutter speeds are possible with the PENTAX PRIME II image processing engine.

What's the call for 1/6000 shutters on entry level DSLRs? since when has Pentax competed fps with the other makers...this just seems fishy to me
Again, probably just a result of advancing technology. New sensor that allows for faster FPS also allows for faster shutter speeds.

QuoteQuote:
• Expanded ISO range covers sensitivities from 100-12800 for extreme low light photography.

OK - they've done it before with the K10D and the 100super, but I doubt the expanded ISO range, sounds too good to be true...
Sony A500, where the sensor is likely from, is also in the same price/feature ballpark.
09-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #49

wow - looks like I was proved wrong before I posted...well done Pentax!

09-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiszon Quote
remember, than in EU, we've higher prices than in US

it should be cheaper in US than 880 dollar - maybe 750 or even 700 for one lens kit
Yeah, I have no doubt it'll be cheaper here. Probably around $700 to start. But since I already have a K20D and a crapload of lenses I'd prefer to buy body-only.
09-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
But since I already have a K20D and a crapload of lenses I'd prefer to buy body-only.
i understand, but i have no worry about that
at least black version should be marketed as body only, and if colorful versions will be "regular production versions" they should be selled as a body only too

but...
i'm not a seller, just one poor java coder ;-)
09-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
I would trade that for 1/4000, 4.0 FPS and weather seals.

Prog.
Wait for Pentax's next model? Pretty sure they gonna make something either inbetween the K-7 and K-X or something higher. I don't see how they can really add much to the K-X without going into K-7 territory (other than seals)

09-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I don't understand - the K-7 has AF point selection on the body, right? The K-x picture does not. I guess it won't be so bad if they move it to the control panel. I already switch back and forth between center point and wide focus on the K2000 and it is a bit tedious.
Ha, I understand what you mean... I thought you meant how to move the AF point around in SEL mode. You mean to switch between Auto, Center, and SEL.

Like you say, if it's in the control panel it's not too bad. Then again, FWIW, my cameras are always in SEL...
09-16-2009, 05:04 PM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it does 24 and 30, but 24 is, as they said, "cinematic," being the framerate used in motion pictures.
The video specs are virtually identical to the Nikons, it may have something to do with the sensor readout rate and 24 may be the limit. It will probably have aperture priority mode (even if it doesn't you could just set it on your lens), I wonder if stabilization is active while recording (my guess would be yes since Pentax doesn't have a stabilized kit lens). Sounds like it will do better at high ISOs than the K-7. I thought Nikon was producing their own sensors now but they could be Sony derivatives.

At any rate it sure looks like they're pitting this thing up against the d5000

It'll be interesting to see where Pentax and Samsung go from here, this is almost certainly not a Samsung sensor
09-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richtrav Quote
The video specs are virtually identical to the Nikons, it may have something to do with the sensor readout rate and 24 may be the limit. It will probably have aperture priority mode (even if it doesn't you could just set it on your lens), I wonder if stabilization is active while recording (my guess would be yes since Pentax doesn't have a stabilized kit lens). Sounds like it will do better at high ISOs than the K-7. I thought Nikon was producing their own sensors now but they could be Sony derivatives.

At any rate it sure looks like they're pitting this thing up against the d5000

It'll be interesting to see where Pentax and Samsung go from here, this is almost certainly not a Samsung sensor
Shake reduction in video is active, but mono sound recording only.

Better high ISO than K-7: probably yes, but lower rez too. Normalized noise may still be better from K-x if Sony Exmor delivers on its promises.

I believe the Sony sensors have trouble with video and only offer the minimum of what is required: 720p@24Hz <5min for Nikons and no video at all for Sonys.

The full comparison:

Pentax K-x has a sensor:
- ISO 100/200 to 12.800
- 23.6 x 15.8 mm (23.5 x 15.7 mm according to another source)
- 4288×2848 ("effective" 12.4 MP, "total" 12.9 MP) (4288 x 2842 according to another source)
- 720p@24Hz
- made by Sony
- multiple AD converters

Now, compare this to:

1. Nikon D5000/D90:
- ISO 100/200 to 6.400
- 23.6 x 15.8 mm
- 4288 x 2848 ("effective" 12.3 MP, "total" 12.9 MP)
- 720p@24Hz <5min
- made by Sony

2. Sony A500:
- ISO 100/200 to 12.800 (Exmor™)
- 23.5 x 15.6 mm
- 4272 x 2848 ("effective" 12.3 MP, "total" 12.9 MP)
- no video
- made by Sony
- multiple AD converters

This looks like the new Pentax K-x uses a forthcoming Nikon sensor made by Sony, from the recent Exmor™ series which isn't available anywhere else yet.
Size and video matches Nikon spec but ISO matches newer Exmor spec. Sony itself uses a slightly smaller variant w/o the video option.

Also, it is a close match to the Nikon D90 in most other aspects, maybe with a K-x shutter which is just a bit better.
09-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Very impressive specs and will definitely challenge the low-end offerings of all manufacturers. Now let's see pricing on this one.
09-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #57
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is all good for Pentax.
New releases always excite the consumer market.
09-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, they will probably call it the k3000 in the US.
09-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The lack of an AF assist lamp suggests the AF has not been upgraded as much as many here would like.

This camera may be the successor to the K200D, not the K-M. We may be going back to the 2 model line-up with the legacy K-M still gripping the very low end as a legacy, night shift production run.

Look at the lens on those photos from the links. That's NOT the 18-55 WR. So Pentax is making clearer the distinction between models with WR. Shame, really. Taking WR all the way down (like the Optios) would appear to be the best differentiation they have (with AA batteries #2).

No HDMI video out. That's a killer for display direct to TV. For HD, you must process through a PC. That's a kludge.

Also, there appears to be no dedicated RAW button. Pretty colours.
09-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Chroma noise in high ISO looks significantly better. That's my biggest grip with high ISO.