Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm surprised they don't keep the current K2000, add an orientation sensor, increase buffer size a little and continue to sell at 450 dollars. It is my opinion that you need a bottom end camera that is just a camera, but turns out decent photos to draw people in. I know a lot of people whose top end for price is around 500 dollars, but would gladly buy a Pentax versus a D40, if there was one in the price range. This K-x looks more like a mid range camera to me than a low range one.

09-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was looking at the preview samples for ISO noise on the Sony a500/a550, and I was blown away. I almost committed to getting one! Now Pentax is releasing a camera that has, probably, the same sensor and same capabilities, but with the glorious K-mount, and well... this just couldn't get any better!

Oh and there's the fact it will probably be $799 new/retail, and around $729 at our favorite retailers... finally within my price range
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #63

If it turns out the K-X actually uses that A500 sensor, it will kick the pants off its big brother in terms of high ISO performance– those comparison shots with the A900 simply blew me away.

Seems to me though that if this is the case, things have been turned a bit upside down. The K-7 is a fantastic camera by all accounts, to be sure, but to have an entry level model from the same company do so significantly better at a crucial aspect of imaging. For those, like me, who have been holding out on getting the K-7 (for whatever reason), it seems like a bit of sand in the face to see that the grass really is greener somewhere else.

PS: Why would Pentax suddenly abandon Samsung sensors?
09-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Pentax K-X prices | Photo Rumors

09-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #65
Inactive Account

The lack of an AF assist lamp suggests the AF has not been upgraded as much as many here would like.

on the specs it says easily track moving subjects. this means the AF has been improved even more. the km/k2000 has already better af than the k200/k20.

i want to get the blue one already
09-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #66
Veteran Member

ONLY $650 FOR THE BODY!?

Where do I sign!
09-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dantekgeek Quote

PS: Why would Pentax suddenly abandon Samsung sensors?
Maybe Samsung abandoned Pentax?

09-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #68

I want the red one, and I've never made that kind of stupid impulse buy before...looks like Pentax knows their tasteless idiots...ahem, market.
09-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #69

Except for the better ? high ISO performance (i'm willing to sacrifice a few megapixels), I don't think it even compares with the K7.

As for the other advantages of the k-x :
- video is a non issue when you get down to it.
- the use of AA batteries is nice ( i was mad when they switched to propietary batteries), but i feel that it's rectified since with the grip of the K7 you can use AA batteries (best of both worlds!).
- I just hope they don't price it as such that it will keep the K7 at its current level as to not canabalize sales of the k-x. I have no idea what that could be - I just want a sub 1000$ k7 to replace my k10 by xmas :drool:
09-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by jptreen Quote
I want the red one, and I've never made that kind of stupid impulse buy before...looks like Pentax knows their tasteless idiots...ahem, market.
I want to see a camo green one ! I wonder what the market is for a pink dslr for our lady photographers though.
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #71

OK, I'm getting a white one for my girl! Let's support Pentax
09-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest flaw I see by far is the fact it uses the same AF system as the K200D. Sure, it may have better high IOS/low light performance, if it can focus quickly enough. Coupled with no AF assist lamp, there appears to be minimal improvement.

Review after review has shown this to be the Pentax weak spot. We'll have to wait and see what the reviews show.

On a side note, the DP Review K-7 issue has been slow to emerge. Perhaps it is the "thin green line" holding them up; or perhaps Pentax slipped them a K-x to do a double-whammy, side-by-side, Rocky Horror Picture Show double feature.

One can only hope.
09-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Unfortunately, they will probably call it the k3000 in the US.
ugh I hope not!
09-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #74
Nubi

Wait until K-7 REDs hit the market. We all will go wild (at the opposite ends of the spectrum of course).

Last edited by Nubi; 09-16-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: attitude adjustment
09-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
ONLY $650 FOR THE BODY!?
Where do I sign!
Actually, their claim that $650 is for single kit lens bundle.
We'll know soon enough if that's true or not.