Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
and the biggest gripe of all vs the competition is a lack of a SDM kit lens.
I don't think you would wish that.
Having a SDM kit lens for an entry level camera would only mean one thing - that they have removed the in-camera screw drive motor. And many people do not want to see that happen.

09-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #92
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Maybe it shows you on the rear LCD?
yes, but it's not quick.
09-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Sigh, I'd like to want to buy it but it's still lacking features for me to warrant an upgrade from my K100D. The colors are extremely tempting though... gah.

Missing:

- metering dial
- weather sealing
- larger viewfinder/magnification
- auto assist lamp
- top LCD
- no option of a battery grip
- rubber thumb grip

and the biggest gripe of all vs the competition is a lack of a SDM kit lens.

I've held a Rebel XS and Nikon D60/D3000 and they trump entry level Pentax bodies in pure pleasure to use, mostly due to the silent and fast AF and bright view screen... add that and AF lamp to the K-x and they'd have a killer. As for now I'd still be hesitant to say buy a Pentax, I don't want to feel handicapped the moment I pick it up. The rest of the features sounds stimulating.

The K-7 is still too expensive when a D300 can be had for less and outperforms it in many regards.

PENTAX is missing a mid-range to high-end body between the K-x and K-7. Canon has about a dozen models, Pentax can easily compete with 3 and add a 4th FF or matured/refined K-7 to round out the pack

K-x, K-x2, K-7, K-7P

I want to upgrade so bad but they aren't giving me a reason to within my budget. I guess I'll wait for the K-7 to drop in price.
Come on dude, the camera is only $650 with the kit lens. If Pentax added those things, then they'd have another K-7.
09-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I don't think you would wish that.
Having a SDM kit lens for an entry level camera would only mean one thing - that they have removed the in-camera screw drive motor. And many people do not want to see that happen.
I suppose you're right although there should be an option on the camera using one or the other, auto detect the lens mounted or user select like discussed on the forum before. We have to remember this is an entry level/beginner camera and most people won't be reading up to see if AF will continue to work with non-SDM lenses. If I was naive and oblivious, like most making a first step into DSLR's, as to why Camera X was noisy while Camera Y was silent I'd go with Camera Y. Instant and silent AF put a smile on my face even with the entry level Canon/Nikon so first impressions are important here.

09-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Come on dude, the camera is only $650 with the kit lens. If Pentax added those things, then they'd have another K-7.
I know jct, I was just hoping for something dab smack in the middle, 12MP with those extra features for $850-$1000 body would be nice.

The K-7 is still $1500 here in Canada.
09-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Now that Pentax are using a Sony sensor and their relationship with Samsung doen't look too good, that clearly opens the door for more exciting revelations in the not too distant future....like a top of the range full frame DSLR!!! I'm excited!
09-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #97
Veteran Member

There's no market for it. The cameras are exactly positioned where they should be, a middle one would ruin the entire market for Pentax, and it really doesn't need that right now.

09-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #98

I know jct, I was just hoping for something dab smack in the middle, 12MP with those extra features for $850-$1000 body would be nice.

The K-7 is still $1500 here in Canada.
1599 to be precise @ henry's
09-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Actually found it cheaper as always at adencamera.com for $1,379.99

That's a little better than it used to be. Henry's is always higher. Shopbot.ca or Photoprice.ca for any Canadians reading this looking for the best prices.
09-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
How to make quick select of invisible points?
Through rear view LCD:

Remember that K-x does not have superimposed LED overlay on the focusing screen.
09-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #101
ogl
Banned

Good camera for begginers. I will wait FF.
09-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know it's not as big as the k7, but wow did pentax blindside us with this one. there was only a blurry out-of-focus image for a day or two before this launched, and then a leak a few hours before release. perhaps they learned from the k20/k7 'unintentionally-viral' campaigns.
09-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Amazing colour range (in Japan..so far) and a bold and fantastic marketing move by Pentax. I think they have "Applejacked" the competition by producing the "Ipod" of DSLR's with superior specs as well. I reckon they will sell like hotcakes.
09-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Amazing colour range (in Japan..so far) and a bold and fantastic marketing move by Pentax. I think they have "Applejacked" the competition by producing the "Ipod" of DSLR's with superior specs as well. I reckon they will sell like hotcakes.
Hot rice cakes.

Why no European/US customized service is beyond me

Are we really that uptight?

Edit:

Wow, my statement sounds racist...... Its not meant to be.
09-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Why no European/US customized service is beyond me
If they fly off the shelves in Japan they will have to open it uo to other countries. Although I did read on one of these threads that the idea was to select your colour options online, order your camera then Pentax will send the camera to the purchaser or the store so that system could be available anywhere. I think that having them on the shelves would be good marketing.