Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
It is the future and it will happen.
And it will be in March 201x.

Seems like Pentax has settled for a 6 months launch cycle, majors in March, minors in September.

09-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #122

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote

The K-7 is still too expensive when a D300 can be had for less and outperforms it in many regards.
K-7 is lower $ than the D300:
K-7 - US$1300
Nikon D300 - US$1600

The K-7 is still an amazing value for many. Of course it has its strengths and weakness.

The big new for me with this K-x is the use of a Sony sensor. I hope they switch sensor suppliers from Samsung to Sony going forward. Sony is more likely to come out with innovative - high ISO designs going forward.
09-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah like waiting for a high spec entry level DSLR that beats the pants off the opposition and comes in 100 customizable colours, we all saw that coming didn't we!! How many more surprises around the corner? Let's wait and see.....
It's not entry-level. The price point is too high.

The K.m will be with us at the low end. This is the K200D replacement.
09-17-2009, 07:26 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote

You'll be hard-pressed to find a dSLR MSRP lower than the K-x's.

I'm convinced this is a K-m replacement and the K-m will be out of production soon (if it's not already).

09-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

I'm convinced this is a K-m replacement and the K-m will be out of production soon (if it's not already).
Agreed, this MSRP is lower than I expected. In a couple months, the price on the street will be even lower.

I wonder what they have up their sleeve for a mid-range model and if I should wait. However this is making the K-7 look not as attractive.
09-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #126
Veteran Member

You're not easily satisfied, aren't you?

According to the US press release, this is the K-m sucessor.

The US press release for K-m last year quoted "US: $699 (with 18-55mm DA-L lens and AF200FG flash)", now for the K-x it quotes "$599.95 USD (for body with DA L 18-55mm lens)".

Same price and much greater value.

It competes favourably with a Nikon D5000 (better specs and build quality) and will probably be cheaper. Even the much lesser specced D3000 has a street price only 20$ lower than K-x press release launch price. Same holds true for EOS 1000D.

And the K-x is the most affordable dSLR featuring HD video.

How can you say "the price point is too high" when there are no better deals?

The only dSLRs below $500 are refurbished D40, and E520 and K-m
09-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #127
Veteran Member

The French websites are presenting the K-x as a successor of K200D, which would be much more logical.

My understanding, however is that the K-x holds a Pentamirror like the K-m and not a pentaprism on contrary of what those sites are saying.

Anyway a sweet little beast for the price, but between K-m (sub 500€/$) K-x (sub 700 €/$) on one side and the K7 (street price slightly higher than 1000€ body only) there is room for a 4th body.

Not sure if the hole will be filled.

Regards,
Guillaume

09-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I've got a Canon, 2 Nikon, and 2 Olympus all MSRP priced lower in my morning, pre-weekend flyer while I am drinking a coffee. Xsi, D40, D60, and Oly 330, Oly 520.

None with video, all $150 cheaper.

Love the colours. Choice is fun, choice is good.
09-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I've got a Canon, 2 Nikon, and 2 Olympus all MSRP priced lower in my morning, pre-weekend flyer while I am drinking a coffee. Xsi, D40, D60, and Oly 330, Oly 520.

None with video, all $150 cheaper.

Love the colours. Choice is fun, choice is good.
All either older or WAY older, meaning they've had time to depreciate from their MSRP. Apples to oranges.

As pointed out, the K-m kit was $699 at launch and can now be had for $450.
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #130
Veteran Member

From what I've heard, K-m/2000 production ceased a while ago.

Unsold Pentax US inventory for the K2000 was moved to Europe which is why you are seeing K2000 on sale in Europe, sometimes alongside K-m

So, on a worldwide scale, K-m is already out of stock and K2000 will last in stock until sold out as well.
09-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #131
Veteran Member

It has a faster shutter than my K20D .......

Edit - Do you guys remember the days when Pentax basically well ... did nothing new?? I mean yea you got a K10D and it was fine for many years because really all they would do is maybe slightly upgrade something ... cough* K20D. Hell now it seems like you buy a body and you were set and not behind the times for at least a few years .... Looks like those days are over .... ohhh i miss them lol.

I guess we can now all have body buying addiction as well as Lens buying addiction.

Last edited by Chwisch87; 09-17-2009 at 09:51 AM.
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone anticipated this camera, including you. Pentax didnt exactly announce this release so why do you assume they will do so for a FF??
This model is fully expected, just the actual specs and color choice are a surprise.
No, you won't hear Pentax spreading rumors of new models, but there are guys like jopy who would do this job for them.

QuoteQuote:
I don't beleive all the doomsday forecasts that Pentax will not have a FF DSLR when they are capable of this sort of surprise. It is the future and it will happen.
Future? I am not too sure. The market share of FF camera has not increased by much despite the release of 5D II and Sony joining the party. Doesn't look like A850 would do much better either. All the FF models combined account for less than 2-3% of DSLR sold in Japan. The top FF camera in August monthly top 80 sales chart in Japan is 5D II at #26. A900 did not even make it into the chart, languishing at #93. If I were the Hoya CEO, I definitely would not be in any hurry to release any FF camera any time soon.
09-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
The big new for me with this K-x is the use of a Sony sensor. I hope they switch sensor suppliers from Samsung to Sony going forward. Sony is more likely to come out with innovative - high ISO designs going forward.
I disagree. Now that Sony's in the DSLR business for themselves, they're gonna be giving less and less away. If they do sell to other manufacturers, I guarantee they'll only get the sensors a good six, twelve months after Sony's put them in the cameras.

The Exmoor sensor - the big bastard in the A900 and 850 - for example, is one Sony's keeping for themselves. Rather than begging for Sony's scraps, I'd rather Pentax work out its relationship with Samsung.
09-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #134
Closed Account

YouTube - Pentax K-x

Nice...
09-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
- My FF glass
- The Pentax look & feel
- The Pentax colors
- The Pentax user interface
- TAv and HyperProgram
- Owning a Canon/Nikon/Sony is extremely uncool

Enough reasons for me to NOT jump ship. BTW I have owned the Canon EOS 5D for several months and it just was not the camera for me. Certainly not a photographer's camera. I did like its output though.
Good points, but if you're one of those people who are moaning for a FF Pentax, which again, according to Pentax is not in the cards anytime soon, you have options, whether or not you take them or not is up to you. My feeling has always been, if you cant produce good work with what Pentax has on the market now, it's highly unlikely a FF model is going to be your Messiah. (that's not meant as a jab to you, just a thought in general)

Jason