Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"

IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew
It is, I assume you just guess what you are focusingon? But really most of us don't use the selection points that much. It's faster to use the center spot, lock focus and recompose. I do use the selection points but less than 1% of the time and I bet a new DSLR owner ould almost never use it.

The camera looks like a winner!

09-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 9,336
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
What's a bet Ned Bunnell had something to do with the red one, eh?
If the colour is called "tomato-red", that's a given
09-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"
IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
NO AF indication display?
hmmm.... my guess is that the AF point selected can be displayed on Live View.
I think too that AF selection is displayed on the INFO screen.

As for WR, Pentax just does two body lines now:
- small, light-weight, penta-mirror, non-WR (K-m/x)
- small, magnesium alloy, penta-prism, dampened shutter, WR (K-7)

Into it, they can put varying electronics/sensor technology. But it may be too expensive to develop a mechanically different third line (but of course, the K200D body would already be available -- I guess it just didn't sell well against K-m and K20D).

I am not sure if the AF indicator overlay board would fit the K-m/x prism housing. Pentax has listened to some K-m user requests, like putting the orientation sensor back and allowing AF point selection. So, there must have been a reason why not to bring back AF point indication as well.
09-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #49
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
I doubt they would reuse the K200D body, as they have changed the button layout of the current models.

09-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #50
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 117
I would love to upgrade my k-m to this. Do you think that we will be able to use a battery grip with this camera? I hate that my k-m can use a battery grip.
09-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #51
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
I doubt we'll see a grip.
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #52
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 117
man. that really stinks. i'm in a weird spot now. i don't think the k-7 is worth it to me for the extra price over the kx. i guess i will have to wait for the k-7 to come down in price or for a new body
09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #53
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 116
I personally think this is a great move on Pentax's part. The K-M/2000 seemed to be a good seller and now Pentax has gone and updated nearly everything on it and kept the price very close to the original K-M.

Looking at the broad marketing picture, Pentax has a gaping hole now between the K-7 and all other cameras. The K-7 is still selling near the $1300 price point and the K-M, K-X, K200, and K20 can all be had for around $500-600 give or take. Dont quote me on this, but I wouldnt be suprised if in the next 6 months we saw a camera, with K-X specs except with the 14 MP Samsung sensor,weather sealed, with a top LCD display, 2 E-dials, in a body similar in design to the K-7, yet having a fiber reinforced poly shell (instead of magnesium alloy), standard 95% .87x viewfinder (instead of the 100% coverage on the K-7), no AF assist beam, etc. Basically a replacement for the K20/200 for $799. That would leave a 3 body lineup...

But again...dont quote me on it

09-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I personally think this is a great move on Pentax's part. The K-M/2000 seemed to be a good seller and now Pentax has gone and updated nearly everything on it and kept the price very close to the original K-M.

Looking at the broad marketing picture, Pentax has a gaping hole now between the K-7 and all other cameras. The K-7 is still selling near the $1300 price point and the K-M, K-X, K200, and K20 can all be had for around $500-600 give or take. Dont quote me on this, but I wouldnt be suprised if in the next 6 months we saw a camera, with K-X specs except with the 14 MP Samsung sensor,weather sealed, with a top LCD display, 2 E-dials, in a body similar in design to the K-7, yet having a fiber reinforced poly shell (instead of magnesium alloy), standard 95% .87x viewfinder (instead of the 100% coverage on the K-7), no AF assist beam, etc. Basically a replacement for the K20/200 for $799. That would leave a 3 body lineup...

But again...dont quote me on it
I agree, except I hope to goodness they don't go to that 14MP samsung, this sensor is supposed to be notably better.

Rumors said they would announce 2 new cameras and 1 update. This is the update to the K-m.
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto (for now)
Posts: 1,749
I think this is the middle model, as ina line Km - Kx - K7

I'd still like 2 wheels and proper AF point selection!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I personally think this is a great move on Pentax's part. The K-M/2000 seemed to be a good seller and now Pentax has gone and updated nearly everything on it and kept the price very close to the original K-M.

Looking at the broad marketing picture, Pentax has a gaping hole now between the K-7 and all other cameras. The K-7 is still selling near the $1300 price point and the K-M, K-X, K200, and K20 can all be had for around $500-600 give or take. Dont quote me on this, but I wouldnt be suprised if in the next 6 months we saw a camera, with K-X specs except with the 14 MP Samsung sensor,weather sealed, with a top LCD display, 2 E-dials, in a body similar in design to the K-7, yet having a fiber reinforced poly shell (instead of magnesium alloy), standard 95% .87x viewfinder (instead of the 100% coverage on the K-7), no AF assist beam, etc. Basically a replacement for the K20/200 for $799. That would leave a 3 body lineup...

But again...dont quote me on it
09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #56
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 317
no Weatherproofing is an interesting omission but i suppose the K2000 this camera is supposedly replacing didn't have it either ....

So we now have a K20D replacement in the K-7 and a K2000 replacement in the k-X sooo if i am right Pentax's spring launch (their new 6 month release cycle) should be their midrange unit to replace the K200D??
09-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Zagreb
Posts: 69
YouTube - Pentax K-x


Nice...
09-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, there must have been a reason why not to bring back AF point indication as well.
Cost, most likely. It is not a trivial manufacturing step to add the LED indicator.
09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 418
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It is, I assume you just guess what you are focusingon? But really most of us don't use the selection points that much. It's faster to use the center spot, lock focus and recompose. I do use the selection points but less than 1% of the time and I bet a new DSLR owner ould almost never use it.
I would think mitigating factor is a lot of the time people are quickly changing/selecting focus points is for people pics and shooting with a big aperture lens. The face tracking will make the auto- point selection a lot more accurate in the first scenario, and the entry level user that this is aimed at likely isn't using tons of fast glass.
09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #60
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Salt Lake City UT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 116
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I agree, except I hope to goodness they don't go to that 14MP samsung, this sensor is supposed to be notably better.

Rumors said they would announce 2 new cameras and 1 update. This is the update to the K-m.
Its possible they wont use the 14 MP Samsung in my theoretical scenario above. I suspect that possible contractual agreements may decide if they do or dont use it. Either way it would be an improvement from the 10 MP sensor that is found in the K200 now and either sensor would fit great in a "middle" camera body from Pentax.

K20 -> K-7
K200 -> ???
K2000 -> K-X

Good times for Pentax users. New competitive bodies, and news from Hoya that Pentax will likey turn a profit this year. Not many camera companies / divisions can claim that right now
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tried to re-review my Kx KxBlaze Site Suggestions and Help 2 08-25-2010 01:27 PM
From DP Review Aristophanes General Talk 3 03-08-2009 08:00 PM
DP Review modifies K2000 Review jeffkrol Pentax News and Rumors 8 02-05-2009 07:44 PM
Yet another Review Cideway Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 04-25-2007 09:43 AM
Photography Review K10D Review benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 03-04-2007 12:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top