Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #46
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"

IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew
It is, I assume you just guess what you are focusingon? But really most of us don't use the selection points that much. It's faster to use the center spot, lock focus and recompose. I do use the selection points but less than 1% of the time and I bet a new DSLR owner ould almost never use it.

The camera looks like a winner!

09-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
What's a bet Ned Bunnell had something to do with the red one, eh?
If the colour is called "tomato-red", that's a given
09-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"
IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
NO AF indication display?
hmmm.... my guess is that the AF point selected can be displayed on Live View.
I think too that AF selection is displayed on the INFO screen.

As for WR, Pentax just does two body lines now:
- small, light-weight, penta-mirror, non-WR (K-m/x)
- small, magnesium alloy, penta-prism, dampened shutter, WR (K-7)

Into it, they can put varying electronics/sensor technology. But it may be too expensive to develop a mechanically different third line (but of course, the K200D body would already be available -- I guess it just didn't sell well against K-m and K20D).

I am not sure if the AF indicator overlay board would fit the K-m/x prism housing. Pentax has listened to some K-m user requests, like putting the orientation sensor back and allowing AF point selection. So, there must have been a reason why not to bring back AF point indication as well.
09-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I doubt they would reuse the K200D body, as they have changed the button layout of the current models.

09-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #50

I would love to upgrade my k-m to this. Do you think that we will be able to use a battery grip with this camera? I hate that my k-m can use a battery grip.
09-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I doubt we'll see a grip.
09-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #52

man. that really stinks. i'm in a weird spot now. i don't think the k-7 is worth it to me for the extra price over the kx. i guess i will have to wait for the k-7 to come down in price or for a new body

09-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #53

Photos: Albums
I personally think this is a great move on Pentax's part. The K-M/2000 seemed to be a good seller and now Pentax has gone and updated nearly everything on it and kept the price very close to the original K-M.

Looking at the broad marketing picture, Pentax has a gaping hole now between the K-7 and all other cameras. The K-7 is still selling near the $1300 price point and the K-M, K-X, K200, and K20 can all be had for around $500-600 give or take. Dont quote me on this, but I wouldnt be suprised if in the next 6 months we saw a camera, with K-X specs except with the 14 MP Samsung sensor,weather sealed, with a top LCD display, 2 E-dials, in a body similar in design to the K-7, yet having a fiber reinforced poly shell (instead of magnesium alloy), standard 95% .87x viewfinder (instead of the 100% coverage on the K-7), no AF assist beam, etc. Basically a replacement for the K20/200 for $799. That would leave a 3 body lineup...

But again...dont quote me on it
09-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
I personally think this is a great move on Pentax's part. The K-M/2000 seemed to be a good seller and now Pentax has gone and updated nearly everything on it and kept the price very close to the original K-M.

Looking at the broad marketing picture, Pentax has a gaping hole now between the K-7 and all other cameras. The K-7 is still selling near the $1300 price point and the K-M, K-X, K200, and K20 can all be had for around $500-600 give or take. Dont quote me on this, but I wouldnt be suprised if in the next 6 months we saw a camera, with K-X specs except with the 14 MP Samsung sensor,weather sealed, with a top LCD display, 2 E-dials, in a body similar in design to the K-7, yet having a fiber reinforced poly shell (instead of magnesium alloy), standard 95% .87x viewfinder (instead of the 100% coverage on the K-7), no AF assist beam, etc. Basically a replacement for the K20/200 for $799. That would leave a 3 body lineup...

I agree, except I hope to goodness they don't go to that 14MP samsung, this sensor is supposed to be notably better.

Rumors said they would announce 2 new cameras and 1 update. This is the update to the K-m.
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I think this is the middle model, as ina line Km - Kx - K7

I'd still like 2 wheels and proper AF point selection!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote

09-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #56
Veteran Member

no Weatherproofing is an interesting omission but i suppose the K2000 this camera is supposedly replacing didn't have it either ....

So we now have a K20D replacement in the K-7 and a K2000 replacement in the k-X sooo if i am right Pentax's spring launch (their new 6 month release cycle) should be their midrange unit to replace the K200D??
09-17-2009, 10:04 AM   #57
Closed Account

YouTube - Pentax K-x

Nice...
09-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, there must have been a reason why not to bring back AF point indication as well.
Cost, most likely. It is not a trivial manufacturing step to add the LED indicator.
09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It is, I assume you just guess what you are focusingon? But really most of us don't use the selection points that much. It's faster to use the center spot, lock focus and recompose. I do use the selection points but less than 1% of the time and I bet a new DSLR owner ould almost never use it.
I would think mitigating factor is a lot of the time people are quickly changing/selecting focus points is for people pics and shooting with a big aperture lens. The face tracking will make the auto- point selection a lot more accurate in the first scenario, and the entry level user that this is aimed at likely isn't using tons of fast glass.
09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #60

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I agree, except I hope to goodness they don't go to that 14MP samsung, this sensor is supposed to be notably better.

Rumors said they would announce 2 new cameras and 1 update. This is the update to the K-m.
Its possible they wont use the 14 MP Samsung in my theoretical scenario above. I suspect that possible contractual agreements may decide if they do or dont use it. Either way it would be an improvement from the 10 MP sensor that is found in the K200 now and either sensor would fit great in a "middle" camera body from Pentax.

K20 -> K-7
K200 -> ???
K2000 -> K-X

Good times for Pentax users. New competitive bodies, and news from Hoya that Pentax will likey turn a profit this year. Not many camera companies / divisions can claim that right now