Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
KX IS HERE its on DP review!

Here is the link. Pentax announces K-x entry level DSLR: Digital Photography Review

09-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
:P no weatherproofing!
09-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Cross Process mode
The K-x features a new Cross Process mode that automatically and randomly adds finishing touches to exposures to create eye-catching images with unique, intriguing colors (just like images treated with Cross Process*3 in film photography). This mode adds a whimsical element to digital photography since photographers don’t know the results until the captured image is actually displayed on the camera’s LCD monitor.
Sounds fun!
09-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
:P no weatherproofing!
Seriously. I think they dropped the ball and could have realy outdone the competition by having weatherproofing. But perhaps they thought that would have hurt the K-7 sales to much, which it most likely would have.

09-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What does AF assist using on board flash mean? Does this mean the AF assist beam is part of the flash??
09-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
What does AF assist using on board flash mean? Does this mean the AF assist beam is part of the flash??
That probably means it will strobe the flash to take an AF reading. I doubt there is any separate AF assist beam here. Basically the same as everything before the K-7.
09-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Its that epileptic-seizure-inducing-strobe flash thing that cameras do when the light is difficult. It tends to startle people that haven't seen it before.

09-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
Seriously. I think they dropped the ball and could have realy outdone the competition by having weatherproofing. But perhaps they thought that would have hurt the K-7 sales to much, which it most likely would have.
Yeah. I think the K-7 is in a precarious spot as it is and they want to have SOME sort of a motivation for people to buy the top model. The average person doesn't know what a lot of the features of the k-7 mean but they hear weatherproofing and go "OOOH Weatherproofing!"
09-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
Seriously. I think they dropped the ball and could have realy outdone the competition by having weatherproofing.
While weatherproofing looks nice as a bonus on the spec sheet, it is hardly a deciding factor for people looking at entry level cameras. They may actually attract more buyers with its color choice than weatherproofing, seriously.
09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"

IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew

Last edited by ogl; 09-16-2009 at 10:06 PM.
09-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
While weatherproofing looks nice as a bonus on the spec sheet, it is hardly a deciding factor for people looking at entry level cameras. They may actually attract more buyers with its color choice than weatherproofing, seriously.
But weatherproofing would have been logical from a manufacturer who explained not so long ago that its strategy revolved around producing small, rugged cameras meant for outdoor photographers no?

Or did the strategy change?
09-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
Forum Member

It would be something of a marketing coup if Pentax had an outdoor oriented, all weatherproofed line up but I agree with those who say that its unnecessary in this bracket.

That said, this puppy looks like quite a banger!

New CMOS sensor, HD video, live view, Prime II, reasonable FPS.

SOLID!

When I bought my camera last year I was a bit worried about the future of the K-mount. I'm getting less so with each successive model released by Pentax.
09-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

$649 MSRP with the kit lens is nice, too. Hopefully means $550 MSRP body-only out of the gate.
09-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
"However, the K-m cloning process has meant that although you can now at least select the active AF-point, it's still not displayed in the viewfinder"

IS IT TRUE? it's the silliest thing I ever knew
second that!
09-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
Inactive Account

So the new "L" version of the 55-300 lens is just a lightweight version of the existing one?