Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Your bet?
Pentax (cameras) will get ever stronger with the support of Hoya 8456.38%
Pentax will continue to play as a niche but minor player and nothing will change 3221.48%
Hoya will sell the Pentax's camera division and brand eventually to 3rd party 2818.79%
Hoya will dismiss the Pentax camera division 53.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #31
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks as if RH has abandoned PENTAX gone over to C*non and DPR - added a C to his handle to get past the "begin banned". I guess Hoya/Pentax merger was just too much for him.

I have bought my new 5D kit today!: Canon EOS-1D/1Ds/5D Forum: Digital Photography Review

bdavis also mentioned his leaving the fold ---- and no good bye's - --- - how rude.

Edit: Here is the thread on the Pentax forum

No! No! No! Noooooooo!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

PDL

Last edited by PDL; 06-09-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add in the "finding" of RH in DPR's Pentax forum
06-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Haha, let him go. He never did understand the point of SLRs...for photographic control and not Auto(Insert Function Here). I can't wait to hear his reports on 5D banding issues, questionable "L" branding, lower contrast lenses, huge price premiums on "Canon" "L" "USM" "IS"...etc..etc.

or for the better...I hope he starts taking photos of stuff besides test charts.

EDIT: I just read up on the RH links to DPR and Photozone. haha. Even he can admit to Pentax's lens superiority. I give him a week before he comes crying back.

Last edited by FotoPete; 06-09-2007 at 06:05 PM.
06-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #33

Well, I know I've been overstaying my welcome here as a noob ... I can't comment on the semi-pro 10MP space. So I leave it to other people can debate Canon v. Nikon v. Pentax there. But when it comes to the entry-level 6-8MP or even a few 10MP space, I looked at various solutions -- from the Nikon D40 to Sony Alpha.

Time and time again, I came back to the Pentax K100D with 50-200mm lens (combo w/$150 rebate). It was not only much cheaper than any other solution, but the 50-200mm lens (I was interested in at least a 300mm+ "35mm equivalent" longer zoom) rates better than virtually any lens under $500. The added bonus was that the Pentax 18-55m "kit" lens seems to outclass any other 18-55mm (or similar) "kit" lens from anyone, and is "good enough" that I've stuck with it and haven't bothered to upgrade.

So for those trying to spend barely over $500 total on an entry-level dSLR that gives solid, even semi-pro level image quality in a two (2) lens combination (18-55mm and 50-200mm), the Pentax K100D is it and there's really nothing else without spending well over $1,000. And for us noobs, it's definitely the easiest camera to use, while still touching on many semi-pro aspects when you need it (or as us noobs finally move beyond the basics).

I sincerely hope the Pentax K100D keeps selling as well as it is, and comes up with a successor, entry-level 10MP+ model in the next year to augment the K10D. The K100D has shown Hoya that Pentax can deliver a solid, entry-level dSLR that will sell in volume enough to keep moving them -- and, better yet, more glass for them. And if they continue to keep that focus, they'll find they'll have the customers, volumes and sales to make it worth their while.

So I can keep recommend it. I've certainly impressed my fellow engineers who spend 2x as much on their Canon and Nikon units, and still can't get the same image quality -- because they don't want to spend the $500+ per lens they'd have to in order to best it. If they were pros, I'm sure they would, and maybe that's why others have moved to Canon's higher-end offerings. But they aren't, and have already dropped over $1,000 to get so little for their money, and wish they would have just gone with a K100D w/18-55mm "kit" and added the 50-200mm.
06-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #34
Veteran Member

......Monk?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I just wish to start a poll to see your faith/hope/prediction/speculation (or whatsoever) about the future Pentax and Pentax's future, especially during these days things are getting very unclear about the Hoya-Pentax merging deal and rumours are just floating around each day.

Well, I think it's always interesting to look back how we Pentaxians thought before the issue will finally get settled some days later. It's just like a "time-bag" which buried under somewhere and we open it after certain years.

Okay, please make your vote now!
I predict that RH will be disappointed with the Canon 5D and sell off all of his gear and move to Tibet where he will become a Buddhist Monk. In that he will find everlasting joy and contentment.

06-11-2007, 03:27 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha, let him go. He never did understand the point of SLRs...for photographic control and not Auto(Insert Function Here). I can't wait to hear his reports on 5D banding issues, questionable "L" branding, lower contrast lenses, huge price premiums on "Canon" "L" "USM" "IS"...etc..etc.

or for the better...I hope he starts taking photos of stuff besides test charts.

EDIT: I just read up on the RH links to DPR and Photozone. haha. Even he can admit to Pentax's lens superiority. I give him a week before he comes crying back.
I hope it takes forever before he comes crying back! We don't need that kind of hand wringing measurbation.

Good riddance.
06-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
I hope it takes forever before he comes crying back! We don't need that kind of hand wringing measurbation.

Good riddance.
Canon never reallised just how many things are wrong with the 5D. They will now.
06-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

So RH's gone over to Canon. Good for him. However, I think that it will be entertaining to see what kind of measurebation he'll be doing over in the various Canon forums and the reaction he'll get...
06-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #38
sft

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Canon never reallised just how many things are wrong with the 5D. They will now.
LOL - too funny