Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
K-x is already listed at Henry's - C$699 with kit lens.
nosnoop thanks for checking this. I lost my marbles last time with the Pentax Canada Sales department over the 60-250mm pricing as they could not give me 1 good reason not to buy in the USA.

I am going to pick this camera up as it will be a great small carry along camera while biking. I like Henrys, just not their Oakville location as the manager there does not like to help customers.

09-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
... and 999 C$ for the 55-300 double kit. Ouch! This is $850 in the US!

If this price is confirmed (also for the other colours), this is pretty good for the single kit though.
Compared to the two kit lens Canon XS (18-55mm + 55-200mm@$899) it is close. I expected Pentax C to charge $1399 for the kit which would never sell.
09-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
nosnoop thanks for checking this. I lost my marbles last time with the Pentax Canada Sales department over the 60-250mm pricing as they could not give me 1 good reason not to buy in the USA.

I am going to pick this camera up as it will be a great small carry along camera while biking. I like Henrys, just not their Oakville location as the manager there does not like to help customers.
Maybe he just does not like Pentax customers....
09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if this was posted already, but Pentax posted a YouTube video

YouTube - Pentax K-x

09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
cyg

Compared to the two kit lens Canon XS (18-55mm + 55-200mm@$899) it is close.
I suppose the K-x double kit with 50-200 will be somewhere in the middle (850?), making it quite competitive with the other guys.

What is a bit annoying is that Pentax Canada seems quite happy with rounding up to the next $100 when converting their price from USD to CAD...
09-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #21

I suppose the K-x double kit with 50-200 will be somewhere in the middle (850?), making it quite competitive with the other guys.

What is a bit annoying is that Pentax Canada seems quite happy with rounding up to the next $100 when converting their price from USD to CAD...
Ha I never thought of the Da 50-200mm.

Pentax C has embraced Capitalism except they crippled anyr sales outlets that may want to carry the product. I suspect the Kx will catch on at a big superchain though due to HD video.
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
... Great marketing idea, but they also need to start filling the top tier of cameras and lenes for that growing segment and MORE importantly, keep us advanced people and pros happy.
+1 ... not that I'd consider myself very advanced yet. But I'm itching to try out some lenses, and nobody up here rents Pentax stuff. - I'm playing with the idea of renting out any lenses I may buy.

I think Pentax does a decent job attracting first time buyers with what they offer in their lower end stuff ... worked for me and my K200D (hey that rhymes ) ... but, Pentax as a company really needs to focus on keeping people in the brand ... and reducing the number of "jumping ship" posts in the marketplace section. Getting a higher percentage of the advanced users excited about pentax should make the stores take notice.

I was at a small seminar on the weekend - one person had a pentax ... me. And the instructor (who is also a salesman at a local camera shop) actually suggested that I switch brands due to the lack of support for pentax. ... If it wasn't for this general market view, I probably would have expanded my system by now. ... I love my camera, pentax has to get their product into the hands of more people, and then fight to keep them there. The K7 is a sweet camera ... but I think Pentax has to do more - maybe it's just marketing? Dunno. . ... Anyway, rambling now.

Last edited by ShutterLag; 09-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #23
Ari
Veteran Member

They NEED to re-hire a sales force! This is the perfect camera for people looking at a first dslr. If they can't get it on the shelves, though, why bother.........
09-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterLag Quote
+1 ... not that I'd consider myself very advanced yet. But I'm itching to try out some lenses, and nobody up here rents Pentax stuff. - I'm playing with the idea of renting out any lenses I may buy.

I think Pentax does a decent job attracting first time buyers with what they offer in their lower end stuff ... worked for me and my K200D (hey that rhymes ) ... but, Pentax as a company really needs to focus on keeping people in the brand ... and reducing the number of "jumping ship" posts in the marketplace section. Getting a higher percentage of the advanced users excited about pentax should make the stores take notice.

I was at a small seminar on the weekend - one person had a pentax ... me. And the instructor (who is also a salesman at a local camera shop) actually suggested that I switch brands due to the lack of support for pentax. ... If it wasn't for this general market view, I probably would have expanded my system by now. ... I love my camera, pentax has to get their product into the hands of more people, and then fight to keep them there. The K7 is a sweet camera ... but I think Pentax has to do more - maybe it's just marketing? Dunno. . ... Anyway, rambling now.
Any instructor trash talking about Pentax or any brand for that matter is nothing more than a sales person to me... they probably know more on certain brands, than others - you have to weed out the good from the bad.

I think Pentax's strategy is always like niche player - it is a brand name that you will want to get. It is kind of like, "that is neat where do you get it?".
09-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #25
cyg

Pentax C has embraced Capitalism except they crippled anyr sales outlets that may want to carry the product. I suspect the Kx will catch on at a big superchain though due to HD video.
It's not that bad in Canada. I find that most camera shop carry some Pentax gear, and even futureshop has some Pentax dslr from time to time.

I think you are right that these colourful cameras may be exactly what is needed to get some shelf space.
09-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ohh, shiny things....... Yeah, pretty good comeback at the entry level.

The sensor and the battery life look phenomenal - up to 1900 shots listed with Lithiums.....
09-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't forget that the new Pentax "L" lenses that came out with the K-x appear to be "cheapened" (for lack of a better word) to keep the price down. They have plastic mounts, not metal. So "L" likely stands for lightweight. They come with no hood, and no quick--shift focussing.

Whether they are optically equivalent is another issue.
09-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #28
Inactive Account

I didn't expect this from Pentax! Great move in my opinion. These color choices should attract young and newbie photogs to Pentax. Man, I'm loving that red K-x. Too bad I already have the white K-m. I'd like to see some sample images from this cmos sensor.
09-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Don't forget that the new Pentax "L" lenses that came out with the K-x appear to be "cheapened" (for lack of a better word) to keep the price down. They have plastic mounts, not metal. So "L" likely stands for lightweight. They come with no hood, and no quick--shift focussing.

Whether they are optically equivalent is another issue.
They came out with the K-m a year ago, and yes, the plastic mount is to keep weight and price down. Optically, however, they're identical.