Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #1

Hands On at the Pentax Event last night

I was fortunate enough to be at the event last night for the introduction of the K-x, and briefly got to handle the K-x. The form factor is largely similar to the K2000, it's very small,yet not compromised in handling. The grip is quite nice, nicer than the competitors at this price point. Build quality seemed quite nice, despite the addition of plastic inside, and the paint quality of the red, white, and navy offerings looked and felt top notch. Interface looks in line with the K-7 and the performance seemed inspired to, I'll say 4.7 fps feels pretty good especially at $650. I took some shots at ISO 6400, and zoomed in, they looked potentially usable, certainly ISO 1600 will get some use out of this camera. Pentax didn't make any claims to improvements in noise management when asked, but suggested there may be improvements over the K2000. The only oddity was the widely discussed AF points missing in the viewfinder, which led me to check the settings and scratching my head momentarily.

Other than that, the K-x looked very solid, If you just go down the spec sheet and comparison shop at this price point, it'd be very hard to overlook the K-x, a point that Pentax was keen to mention (same with the K-7)

For more on the camera, and the presentation, including the Pentax gameplan, and relationship with Hoya, I posted my hands on here.

09-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the report, good read !
09-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

So how do you select the AF point? And how do you tell which point you are using?
09-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Forum Member

on LCD - there is dedicated screen, for AF-mode/point selection

09-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

how about shutter sound? Is it as quiet as the K7?
09-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I really want this camera just for the 4.7 fps.
09-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
how about shutter sound? Is it as quiet as the K7?
To my ear it had that same kind of whispery sound the K-7 has. They had K-7's lined up too with all the glass you could ever want, and I really liked that K-7 sound.

09-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
So how do you select the AF point? And how do you tell which point you are using?
Selected on the LCD, and while shooting, you can't tell---least I couldn't there. Like I said I was confused initially, you have to sort of trust the selection, which worked out fine there.
09-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 100meters Quote
To my ear it had that same kind of whispery sound the K-7 has. They had K-7's lined up too with all the glass you could ever want, and I really liked that K-7 sound.
great news if true, though someone else reported it was louder
09-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I really want this camera just for the 4.7 fps.
Ya the 4.7FPS will definitely shut up those j@ckAsses (Me) now!

Everytime I look over the specs I am trying to figure out what changed at the Pentax HQ. If this is the future of Pentax creating pull into the line from point-n-shooters then they are finally thinking big.
09-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hoya is what happened
09-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Hoya is what happened
In part, true. The folks from Pentax were saying that Hoya want's to push them forward with their ideas, less thinking more doing type of thing, all while focusing on selective marketing---cameras for photographers. To that point more advertising in the places they've been placing ads already, like photo mags, photo websites etc.
09-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the report!
09-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good hands-on report.
It will be a strong entry-level contender with these specs.
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by 100meters Quote
I was fortunate enough to be at the event last night for the introduction of the K-x, and briefly got to handle the K-x. The form factor is largely similar to the K2000, it's very small,yet not compromised in handling. The grip is quite nice, nicer than the competitors at this price point. Build quality seemed quite nice, despite the addition of plastic inside, and the paint quality of the red, white, and navy offerings looked and felt top notch. Interface looks in line with the K-7 and the performance seemed inspired to, I'll say 4.7 fps feels pretty good especially at $650. I took some shots at ISO 6400, and zoomed in, they looked potentially usable, certainly ISO 1600 will get some use out of this camera. Pentax didn't make any claims to improvements in noise management when asked, but suggested there may be improvements over the K2000. The only oddity was the widely discussed AF points missing in the viewfinder, which led me to check the settings and scratching my head momentarily.

Other than that, the K-x looked very solid, If you just go down the spec sheet and comparison shop at this price point, it'd be very hard to overlook the K-x, a point that Pentax was keen to mention (same with the K-7)

For more on the camera, and the presentation, including the Pentax gameplan, and relationship with Hoya, I posted my hands on here.
do the focus points display in Live view?
tnx