Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't understand your statement wtih the DA12-24 and the DA 15, seems like that's wide enough???
Yes, the 12-24 is wide enough and although it is a highly regarded lens, it is a DA lens, not a DA* lens to which I had referred, and nor is the 15, which in any event is not appreciably wider than the 16-50 I have now. Actually, rumor says there may be an 11-16/2.8 DA* in the pipe line. Tokina based their 11-16/2.8 on the 12-24 design and since the later is available from both Tokina and Pentax, it is natural to speculate that the 11-16 may also become available in a Pentax mount. However, I would be quite happy with a prime super wide around 12mm but that seems unlikely. As to the TC ...would be nice to have one mate up with the 50-135 and DA*300 I have already. But, like you I don't think I would be buying the 400/f4 and likely stick with the 300 as my longest lens.

QuoteQuote:
I wouldn't think you would have lens guys just sitting around, perhaps they are busy with the TC and/or new updated lenses for the 645D.
Could be...

QuoteQuote:
A longer tele would be a good project for Pentax. They advertise their WR cameras as outdoor ones for those seeking wildlife in remote places, but there is a disconnect wtih long range capability. yes, third party provide some alternatives, but i think a 500mm zoom would give the wildlife folks something to talk about. (have to admit, i'm not tempted to buy anything beyond my existing DA300)
Agree entirely

09-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #77
Site Supporter

I wouldn't count on Tokina offering anything in Pentax mount anytime soon since their trend as been the exact opposite since Hoya acquired Pentax. It is possible that Pentax could do up a version of the Tokina lens with SMC etc.
09-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I am still grumbling a little, I think that the K-X is a well specified camera.
In the middle ground, I maybe see a K-X super version coming up with some weather-sealing and AF points as someone else mentioned. I see Hoya keeping things simple in DSLR terms for a bit.

If there is a K-X super, I'll probably buy it, as long as I can get it in a colour that isn't going to scare the birds away. Although with that orange/pink combo, maybe I can hide in a flower suit or something.

I'll go blind using it (as I have with the K200D viewfinder), but I guess that I have to realise that D-SLRs have been commoditized (if that is a word), and a better viewfinder is not going to happen at this price point.

To respond to the OP, why would you want to take attention away from the impending 645D release by adding a high-end (above the K7) camera at this point? There are plenty of options out there, and let's face it, the K7 ticks the right boxes for everything below full frame.

Lenses - I think the next announcements might include a weathersealed 55-300mm since there has now been a "lightened" version made available.
09-30-2009, 05:10 AM   #79
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
So, we now have
  1. the K-7 replacing the top-of-the-line K20D, and
  2. the K-x, replacing the K200D, and
  3. the K2000, replacing - um, well, does this replace anything? I'm not sure.
So that's the Pentax DSLR product line today (9-17-2009). I'm omitting the K20D and K200D which are still listed on Pentax's web site but are (I assume) being phased out as soon as the warehouses are emptied.

Here's my question: Is anything else coming? I'm just wondering if anybody has heard any rumors (or read any interviews or press releases) that include clues about what's in the pipeline in the relatively near term - say before the end of Feb 2010? Does Pentax reveal its plans?

Will
You are wrong in saying the K-X replaces the K200D, it does not. Pentax Imaging has stated that it is a replacement for the K2000D.

wll

09-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I wouldn't count on Tokina offering anything in Pentax mount anytime soon since their trend as been the exact opposite since Hoya acquired Pentax. It is possible that Pentax could do up a version of the Tokina lens with SMC etc.
What I had meant was that Pentax would offer their own version of the 11-16/f2.8 just as they did with the 12-24 on which that lens is based.
09-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-x - 600 Usd (body)
K-7 - 1300 Usd (body)...

No room?
There are room in pricing, but no room in camera specs, if you look at it the K-7 and K-x are very close together, only that the K-7 has weather sealing and top LCD. I feel like anything a bit higher than the K-x will damage K-7's sales if the price goes between them.
09-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I think putting something in between the K-7 and K-X would be odd... since the two models share a lot in common, with the K-7 only having an edge in ergonomics (a big part for sure). Maybe they should really do something like Canon with the 50D and 7D, both APS-C cameras with similar specs but the 7D is far more advanced.

My thoughts:
Maybe a better AF system with more points?
A new APS-C sensor with 14-16MP but with better ISO performance than K-7
a much bigger body possibly with grip already attached like D3 and 1Ds
bigger viewfinder with .96X?
full HD recording
I am thinking Pentax will put a model higher than the K-7. It explains why the K-7 "only" manages 1024p. They probably could of easily of done 1080p, but maybe they are reserving it for a higher model (correct me if there actually is a limitation in the sensor that I am not aware of).
I hope that Pentax is not now planning its body model roadmap around video features/resolution.

09-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #83
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
There are room in pricing, but no room in camera specs, if you look at it the K-7 and K-x are very close together, only that the K-7 has weather sealing and top LCD. I feel like anything a bit higher than the K-x will damage K-7's sales if the price goes between them.
K-x is castrate, there is a chasm between K-7 and K-x.

If Hoya thinks that the camera higher than K-x could damage K-7's sales, it means ONLY ONE -
the position of company at DSLR market is very weak and company is technologically weaker than competitors.

All other brands offer MORE than 2 cameras and have no any problems.

Last edited by ogl; 09-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.
09-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #84
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
I hope that Pentax is not now planning its body model roadmap around video features/resolution.
I am very sorry to disappoint you, but I can tell you is that Pentax is NOT planning on making the APS-C camera any bigger. In fact, one huge mistake Pentax thought they made with K20D was that they got caught up in the spec war which ultimately made the body larger. They made sure that K-7 was close to the size of *istD.
10-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Ever since SR came out I'm waiting for a small AA camera with pentaprism to replace my DS. I'm still hoping K200D successor will feature a better sensor and pentaprism. However, I believe Pentax should release something between Kx and K7. While the latter has all the manual control and many plugs, Kx doesn't even have cable switch plug. The gap between the two is too wide. I understand the argument that a middle body might reduce sales of K7 but on the other hand the lack of something in between might turn people away from Pentax all together.
10-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I am very sorry to disappoint you, but I can tell you is that Pentax is NOT planning on making the APS-C camera any bigger. In fact, one huge mistake Pentax thought they made with K20D was that they got caught up in the spec war which ultimately made the body larger. They made sure that K-7 was close to the size of *istD.
What are you talking about. The K20D is the same size as the K10D, and both are smaller then the competition.
10-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #87
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Ever since SR came out I'm waiting for a small AA camera with pentaprism to replace my DS. I'm still hoping K200D successor will feature a better sensor and pentaprism. However, I believe Pentax should release something between Kx and K7. While the latter has all the manual control and many plugs, Kx doesn't even have cable switch plug. The gap between the two is too wide. I understand the argument that a middle body might reduce sales of K7 but on the other hand the lack of something in between might turn people away from Pentax all together.
Brother, I had waited too...I bought K200D on April, 2008 + O-ME53, no any hope to see Hoya's version of D90.
Maybe next spring? I doubt...
But I want to see K-x with WR and AF indicators or downgrade of K-7.
10-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
All other brands offer MORE than 2 cameras and have no any problems.
As far as I know, every brand has problems being profitable.
To many options cannibalizing each other could be part of the reason for some brands. I'm not saying it is the reason, but I don't think we can rule it out as a possibility.
10-01-2009, 03:47 AM   #89
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
What are you talking about. The K20D is the same size as the K10D, and both are smaller then the competition.
Actually, you are right. What I meant was that the mistake they made with K20D was that they did not make it smaller than K10, which is considerably bigger in size than *istD. When K-7 was in the planning stage, one of the things the marketing division demanded, among other things, was to make the camera smaller. When one follows the history of Pentax SLR, not DSLR, they have always strived for a compactness without sacrificing performance.
10-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
As far as I know, every brand has problems being profitable.
To many options cannibalizing each other could be part of the reason for some brands. I'm not saying it is the reason, but I don't think we can rule it out as a possibility.
I think you could be right. In a new economy where constant access to more and more credit is not going to be possible, I'm not sure the smartest strategy is to offer so many variations. Perhaps Pentax is getting it right this time by offering 3 bodies.

Having so many different bodies is probably very difficult for inventory control. In this respect it's very similar to what American car manufacturers are going through. How many variations on an SUV did they offer?

I could be wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely, at least for America, that you will see people spending so freely (on credit) anytime soon.

My personal opinion is that Pentax is never going to be Cannon or Nikon. They will always be a niche player. Those companies can really thrive if they are run right, especially in the economy we are in. The K7 is down to $1150. If it bottoms at $1100 I don't see a Cannon or Nikon product as good in that price range. Going forward, a price diffence of a few hundred $'s will seem like a lot to American consumers. Again, that's only from an American perspective.

The country cannot continue to run a negative savings rate and borrow our prosperity from China and Russia.

No offense to the Chinese or Russians. I'm not a right winger.