Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Face it boys, the K200D (while a fine camera specifications wise) was a marketing test case that proved the market segment between entry and enthusiast grade was so slim that it just didn't sell in numbers and got discontinued pretty quick, just like the SR less K110D.
that was only true for Pentax market... C&N live well w/ 3 tiers.

10-02-2009, 03:36 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Bette IS? Prove it.
Pentax K-7 Review: 14. Performance: Digital Photography Review

50mm @ 75mm FOV

vs

Olympus E-620 Review: 12. Performance: Digital Photography Review

50mm @ 100mm FOV

unless Hoya managed to deliver another buggy sample to DPreview
10-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I as a K200d shooter would very much like to see it replaced. However, I'm not optimistic about the chances of that happening. The only way I could see that happen right now is if they added Weather-sealing to the KX and that would cannibalize sales of the KX. There isn't enough space between the KX and the K7 to have a third camera. The only other possible option is to launch a camera that is BETTER than the K7 and market the K7 as the K200d replacement. We already know that the K7 is the flagship so there goes that idea.

IMHO, if Pentax wants to sell 3-4 tiers of cameras they need to expand on the High end. They should make a body that can go head to head with the D3 and the 1ds mark III. That would give them room to segment the market and capitalize on those segments. The new Medium format could stand on the top of the camera model continuum.

I really don't want this to be a full frame vs APS-C thing but I am not so sure, given current technology that Pentax can make a APS-C that can compete against above mentioned cameras. If Pentax had a full frame camera then it would be more likely to happen.

BTW, the solution to the lens issue and making a full frame camera is doing like what nikon does, have a dx and fx mode for the camera.

The brutal truth is, Pentax doesn't have the resources to expand on the high end. It seems that they want to focus on "advanced amateurs" and until they begin to market to pros as a pro camera I don't know they will ever be able to gain a reputation as a pro camera company. Simply having the reputation of make a pro camera in the line up would likely carry weight on the low end models as well. How ever good the K7 is and however goofy the "pro" designation might be, it would seem to me that it is important to people. Especially 'cause everyone know that you can't be a good photographer unless you have a really really expensive camera .
10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #124
Banned

I would like to see a full frame version of the K-7 in 2010.

10-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
already know that the K7 is the flagship
Can't agree that the K7 is the "flagship" of the Pentax lineup, it is not enough of a jump up from the K20. You could almost argue that the K20 should have been the K7, as it is has the same IQ, sensor etc it can only be seen as an upgrade. So, is there room for a model above the K7, perhaps similar to the Canon 7D? The problem is, going up from 14+ megapixels to around 18+ is not such a big jump either given that the K7 already has all the bells and whistles. So this leaves the "top end" camera position open for the possibility of a FF. If the K20 is already out of production what is going to replace it?
10-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Can't agree that the K7 is the "flagship" of the Pentax lineup, it is not enough of a jump up from the K20. You could almost argue that the K20 should have been the K7, as it is has the same IQ, sensor etc it can only be seen as an upgrade. So, is there room for a model above the K7, perhaps similar to the Canon 7D? The problem is, going up from 14+ megapixels to around 18+ is not such a big jump either given that the K7 already has all the bells and whistles. So this leaves the "top end" camera position open for the possibility of a FF. If the K20 is already out of production what is going to replace it?
Maybe they will put a 645d sensor in the K20d body and call it a K2d Super FF.
10-12-2009, 04:59 AM   #127
Pentaxian

It's worth it pretty much. It may not interest you personally your own wants. But there's a whole bigger difference between K20D->K-7 than K10D->K20D.
10-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
But there's a whole bigger difference between K20D->K-7 than K10D->K20D.
I don't agree, most of the changes are superficial or gimmicks. The K7 is a great camera as is the K20 but the basic substance of the two is the same. Maybe the K7 is the "son of K20" but it is not the next generation.

10-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #129
Pentaxian

A completely new body, a new mirror capable of over 5 fps, an improved AF system, a new image processor (PRIME II), a new sensor (faster data transfer with electronics to match), a new "dust removal" system... probably, the engineers who worked on all these would disagree with you
10-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #130
Pentaxian

I don't agree, most of the changes are superficial or gimmicks. The K7 is a great camera as is the K20 but the basic substance of the two is the same. Maybe the K7 is the "son of K20" but it is not the next generation.
Use it. There's nothing to be compared but sensor.
10-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #131

QuoteQuote:
I don't agree, most of the changes are superficial or gimmicks. The K7 is a great camera as is the K20 but the basic substance of the two is the same. Maybe the K7 is the "son of K20" but it is not the next generation
When the K20D was released, some people in this very same forum complained about it saying it was the very same camera as the K10D but with a different sensor. Now, we have a completely different machine and people still complain.
10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #132
RaduA

it's only human nature

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
When the K20D was released, some people in this very same forum complained about it saying it was the very same camera as the K10D but with a different sensor. Now, we have a completely different machine and people still complain.
Rest assure that if Pentax would get the K-8 with 10 fps, variable shape to fit all hands, fastest AF on the planet, clean 12800 ISO and all the other features K-7 has right now and price it for 100 dollars at least a few people here would complain because it is not 50 bucks or it hasn't 12 fps or why not clean 25600 ISO and so on.

Radu
10-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I am not complaining about the K7 at all, it is a great camera, what I am saying is that it is not a huge leap up from the K20. In my opinion it is the end result that matters ie the printed image, which will be no different with either camera. Video, high ISO and FPS do not interest me at all. At the end of the day it doesnt matter how you capture the image it's all about the quality of the end product. I concede that the improvements to the K7 over the K20 may make the function of capturing images easier or more pleasant. But I still stick to my point that the K7 is still an "upgrade" from the K20 and that Penatx have not yet replaced the K20 with a completely new model.
10-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Let's hope the 645D will be different enough that no one would consider it a K-7 upgrade, thus slightly more different than K20D, which itself is a K10D with another sensor

I understand your point of view; but your conclusion is, IMO, unreasonable. The K-7 is a new model, which just happens to use a very similar sensor.
And btw, I'm staying with my K20D for now; I have a feeling the K-7's successor will be nicer in a number of ways, image quality included. The K20D is also more than adequate for my needs.
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #135
Pentaxian

I am not complaining about the K7 at all, it is a great camera, what I am saying is that it is not a huge leap up from the K20. In my opinion it is the end result that matters ie the printed image, which will be no different with either camera. Video, high ISO and FPS do not interest me at all.
This argument is bogus if you consider this: If you're only interested in the printed image, the K-7 probably(*) isn't a big leap from the *ist D either. Unless you print really big.

(*) I haven't used the D. But I imagine images printed at, say, A4 size won't be much different at low ISOs if given similar PP. The lens used will be more than an order of magnitude more important.