Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amonsul Quote
Pentax rumors and Samsung rumors

If Ned Bunnel says that I will trust him!
Please don't go "postal", but it seems to this simple writer, that when the Pentax 645D hits the street, a new professional DSLR standard will have been established that will rapidly cause owners of APS and FF cameras to throw them away as obsolete.

so curious onlookers like myself want to know - when are Nikon, Canon, and Sony going to build something beyond the prosumer FF level and get out their Professional grade medium format DSLR.

(the devil made me say that )

09-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #17

Yeah philbaum, it's about time they stepped up to the plate with something serious or all their good shooters will jump ship!

On the other hand, I bet it won't even have HD video, that nice running man setting that lets you take photos of fast things, or in-camera cross-processing so actually when you think about it, it's quite a wash! May as well just get the K-x, because it owns!

...or something.

Open a sweepstake, if the 645D is released in April next year I bet that two PentaxForum users will own one by New Year 2010 and one will send it back before two weeks are up because it's 'OK, but not $10,000 worth of OK'.
09-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Please don't go "postal", but it seems to this simple writer, that when the Pentax 645D hits the street, a new professional DSLR standard will have been established that will rapidly cause owners of APS and FF cameras to throw them away as obsolete.

so curious onlookers like myself want to know - when are Nikon, Canon, and Sony going to build something beyond the prosumer FF level and get out their Professional grade medium format DSLR.

I doubt that Canon or Nikon will even blink. They've never competed in MF, while Pentax has for decades.

Top tier CaNikon shooters won't switch for 645D. If they wanted digital MF, they've already gone to Leaf, or Hassleblad, or one of the others that already make digital MF.

If I had spare cash, I'd start picking up 645 and 67 lenses on ebay now, while they are relatively cheap. As soon as the digital version is released, those lenses are going to get popular again, and go up in price.
09-19-2009, 02:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
At the same time, Nikon has been rumoured to enter MF market for months if not years. It may be BS, it may not.

09-19-2009, 03:48 AM   #20
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
maybe it's not a replacement...
Well, it has w.s. so it MUST be a K200D replacement, okay ?! In fact I bet it's a replacement for 30 of them at the time considering the price ...

Radu
09-19-2009, 04:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if the 645D will come in pink?
09-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #22

Original Poster
The BIG question is...how much will it cost? It should be cheaper than the Mamiya 645 22 Meapixel camera (9.900 Dollar)
09-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amonsul Quote
The BIG question is...how much will it cost? It should be cheaper than the Mamiya 645 22 Meapixel camera (9.900 Dollar)
Depends partly to which sensor will be in.
Kodak has up to 50MP sensors: Kodak Image Sensor Solutions - Full Frame CCD

09-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax have previously stated that the 645D will come at the end of 2009 or early 2010. Nothing dodgy here...
Pentax also spoke abot a price target of less than $ 10 000....
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Same announcement was made at Pentax K-X press party in NYC according to Mark Roberts. Seems my optimism is proving true.
Aha...I haven't gone hunting for more references to this "announcement." Looks like Pentax is serious this time around
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

The fanboys will say that FF can do as well as the 645 sensor
09-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #25

just a stupid idea, is it possible to mout DA / FA lens to just use portion of the sensor (just use a 135 size)?
09-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #26
and
Veteran Member

if it does come out I wonder how many people here will buy one, considering how much talk it gets. Seems it would be better if they didnt release it and focused on their existing linup instead.
09-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
just a stupid idea, is it possible to mout DA / FA lens to just use portion of the sensor (just use a 135 size)?
Not a stupid idea, but not possible either.
The 645D mount has a bigger registration distance - the mirror itself is bigger, thus needing more space. A purely mechanical adapter would allow only for close-up photography. An optical adapter would work, but given the severe vignetting I doubt anyone would make one.
09-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
No but the opposite is possible (645 or 67 lens on K body).
Note however that 67 and 645 mounts or somewhat compatible meaning that a 67 lens will work flawlessly on a 645 body (with adapter and without any P/TV etc mode).
09-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax have previously stated that the 645D will come at the end of 2009 or early 2010. Nothing dodgy here...
Pentax also spoke abot a price target of less than $ 10 000....
I recently read conformation of those dates and a goal to better Mamiya priceing. I looked up the price for Mamyia and found the body at $4409 and their 22mp back that was $7200 now priced at $3700. They have a new 31mp back out so no doubt that has caused the drop (clearing out stock) of the lower MP back. However, I could not find a price on the new 31mp back. In the article I think the target price was around $6K ...that would put them in the same price range as the top of the line FF cameras from Nikon and Canon. Now wouldn't that be interesting!

Correction: Checked back on the article that quoted a target price, it was 5000 - 6000 pounds sterling ...not USD. Anyway, at todays currency rates that equates to $8111.84 to $9732.92 - suffice to say $8 to $10K USD.

Last edited by MikePerham; 09-21-2009 at 04:21 PM.
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
if it does come out I wonder how many people here will buy one, considering how much talk it gets. Seems it would be better if they didnt release it and focused on their existing linup instead.
By this logic Pentax should just lay down and die.

I am personally very interested in Pentax showing they can launch and support a medium format digital camera. Not only will it give them some kudos in the industry, but it might very well give them a foothold in a new market.

Obviously the medium format market does not get as much discussion among amateur on the net as cheaper cameras. But that is no measure of its importance.