Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
K-7 with 5.2 fps @ 14.6 Mp can process almost 76 Mp/s and has a buffer of 14-15 RAW. Let's grossly assume that a 37.5 Mp RAW is 2.6 times the size of a 14.6 Mp one (of course one is 16 bit and one 12 bit
Interesting consideration.

Note that K-7 is almost CMOS sensor readout bandwidth limited (4 channels are limiting it to 7 fps). A CCD sensor may have much lower readout bandwidth whatever be the processor.

The pixel area difference of the MF sensor translates to 1.3 Bit advantage so 14 Bit should still be largely sufficient.

09-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #47
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Interesting consideration.

Note that K-7 is almost CMOS sensor readout bandwidth limited (4 channels are limiting it to 7 fps). A CCD sensor may have much lower readout bandwidth whatever be the processor.

The pixel area difference of the MF sensor translates to 1.3 Bit advantage so 14 Bit should still be largely sufficient.
Hi, Falk!

Not my strongest points so I don't want to insist too much but I am thinking in the same lines as K10D, Nikon D200. Same CCD sensor, more readout channels, faster fps possible. Like I said it's not like I expect 7 fps or even 5 but if the demand for faster rate is here I hope Kodak will be stimulated to do something about it.

For the moment though I don't expect anything but the current technology maxed out to something like 2-2.2 fps and I hope for a buffer of over 10 frames.

Radu

P.S. I am aware that sensors with multiple readout channels are more prone to noise and things like green lines but what's life without a little gamble?
09-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #48
Veteran Member

My hope is Pentax's digital medium format camera will use a CMOS sensor rather than a CCD sensor common to current digital medium format cameras. Better power consumption, nicer and cleaner colours imo. The challenge is to offer a competitive product at an attractive price point that is demonstrably superior to current digital medium format cameras and dominate the small market segment for this product. That's a big challenge.
09-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #49
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
My hope is Pentax's digital medium format camera will use a CMOS sensor rather than a CCD sensor common to current digital medium format cameras. Better power consumption, nicer and cleaner colours imo. The challenge is to offer a competitive product at an attractive price point that is demonstrably superior to current digital medium format cameras and dominate the small market segment for this product. That's a big challenge.
CMOS in MF? It's one the worst idea I ever knew.

09-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
CMOS in MF? It's one the worst idea I ever knew.
Care to share why from your expert opinion?
09-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #51
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Care to share why from your expert opinion?
My English is not good to explain it. Try to read about difference between CMOS and CCD sensor in the web.
http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-ccd-and-cmos/

CCD means better balance of contrast and colours. For me.
Have a look at the CCD MF camera's images.
It's outstanding.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&zn=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://dc.wa...07_313117.html

Last edited by ogl; 09-23-2009 at 05:19 AM.
09-23-2009, 05:19 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO the problem is not to be CMOS or CCD.
Presently AFAIK the only MF sensors available are Kodak sensors and those are all CCDs.

There's even no point for now to discuss an MF CMOS because there won't be any.
09-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #53
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
IMO the problem is not to be CMOS or CCD.
Presently AFAIK the only MF sensors available are Kodak sensors and those are all CCDs.

There's even no point for now to discuss an MF CMOS because there won't be any.
Kodak could make CMOS sensor. They made very special 14 MP FF CMOS.

09-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Yep, it failed (due to noise at 400+ ISO) and if I remember correctly, they closed (or sold?) their CMOS business.

Wanna bet they will bring one? I won't.
09-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #55
RaduA

1) Kodak retired recently from CMOS making sensors: Kodak Closes CMOS Imager Division: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review besides they never made anything larger lately;
2) The FF sensor was very special maybe but for sure wasn't much good (even for its time) in fact it sealed the fate of Kodak as a dslr maker.

Like I said before it's a matter of demand and IMO Pentax should make a camera as good as possible in mechanical and electronics terms and actively collaborate with any company capable and willing to do better and better sensors.

Radu
09-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #56
ogl
Pentaxian

Yep, it failed (due to noise at 400+ ISO) and if I remember correctly, they closed (or sold?) their CMOS business.

Wanna bet they will bring one? I won't.
My friend (which also has M8, Hassell, S5Pro, order M9 and S2, pro-photographer)
uses DCS 14/n and he is delighted with this sensor. It really offers outstanding colour and very good IQ. I like the picture from this camera too.
09-23-2009, 06:31 AM   #57
Pentaxian

My friend (which also has M8, Hassell, S5Pro, order M9 and S2, pro-photographer)
uses DCS 14/n and he is delighted with this sensor. It really offers outstanding colour and very good IQ. I like the picture from this camera too.
Sure, at very low ISO it is. But since most people wanna go FF because of noise it defeats the purpose of going FF almost entirely.

BTW, some people were happy with their Contax NX... very very few indeed but some were still happy... at ISO 100 !!
09-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #58
ogl
Pentaxian

Sure, at very low ISO it is. But since most people wanna go FF because of noise it defeats the purpose of going FF almost entirely.

BTW, some people were happy with their Contax NX... very very few indeed but some were still happy... at ISO 100 !!
yes. at ISO100 and 200. You're right.
09-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #59
Pentaxian

This FF sensor was made by Belgian FillFactory delivering into Kodak. This ceased after Cypress purchased FillFactory and this 14 MP FF CMOS is now a Cypress chip.

Maybe, Cypress will come up with something interesting as well?
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I have heard in the high 8K Euro Range.

Ben