Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
Forum Member

how about eye-fi?

11-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
how about eye-fi?
It's certainly a possibility, but much slower than tethered USB (on the order of 6-8 seconds per 25MB Raw file), and I I've heard reports of troubles with Eye-Fi in the K-7 specifically, for example:

Anyone tested Eye-Fi Pro with K-7?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-06-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Nobody's going to be able to support the K-7 or K-x for tethered shooting unless Pentax allows this with the cameras' firmware. At the moment, if the K-7 is connected to a computer, then all on-camera controls are disabled, and any software on the PC is only able to transfer files - not control the camera remotely. Hence there's no way to trigger the shutter with a PC connected. I've not personally used the K-x yet but believe the same to be the case with that camera too.

I'd really love to see this change - the lack of tethered shooting capability is, to me, the biggest shortcoming of the K-7 as compared to its rivals. There's no real need for remote control of exposure variables or shutter - just allowing the camera to shoot from the on-body controls while tethered would be enough to make the function useful.

That would allow me to set the camera up on a tripod, shoot a bunch of images and have them automatically downloaded to preview them near-immediately on my large, high-res PC display, and confirm whether I needed to reshoot with a minimum of fiddling to either pan/zoom on the camera LCD, or transfer flash cards / connect / disconnect the camera between shots to preview on the PC.
There's an structure called Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) of which this capacity is part. I am not sure it is firmware; it may be part hardware and licensing related for the USB segment:

Picture Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
There's an structure called Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) of which this capacity is part. I am not sure it is firmware; it may be part hardware and licensing related for the USB segment:

Picture Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yep, I know - but you can see for yourself that it won't work with the current firmware because the camera disables all external controls and powers down the metering system as soon as the USB cable is connected, when set to PTP mode. Hence, there's no way to take a picture.

For it to be useful for tethered shooting, Pentax would need to change their current firmware so as to allow the camera to shoot while in PTP mode, which is something it can't currently do.

12-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for wanting time lapse.

Will give pkremote a go - cool software for Linux!

Failing finding anything else I am going to modify a IR remote and add a timer (luckily I know my way around a soldering iron).
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
+1 for wanting time lapse.

Will give pkremote a go - cool software for Linux!

Failing finding anything else I am going to modify a IR remote and add a timer (luckily I know my way around a soldering iron).

Remote Control for Pentax
QuoteQuote:
This program was developed to replace the Pentax Remote Control F.
To run this program you need to have a mobile device with Pocket PC, Windows CE, Windows Mobile, IR interface, and MS .Net Compact Framework 2.0.

Thank you
Russell
12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Remote Control for Pentax

Thank you
Russell
Now I totally need to get one of those. I'll probably find one at a garage sale. Does anyone have any idea what older PDA models will have this functionality? Any recommendations for an inexpensive device?

12-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #23

I second that opinion, no tethered option on the K-7 level camera is a HUGE shortcoming and would make the camera so much better.
01-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #24
Forum Member

Have anyone else tested eye fi with their kx?
06-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Nobody's going to be able to support the K-7 or K-x for tethered shooting unless Pentax allows this with the cameras' firmware.
What is offered by pkTriggerCord as well as PK_Tether.
Software support for Pentax needed! - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Interesting software! There's even an own thread for it here in the forums:
Anyone tried this IR Remote for PPC's? - PentaxForums.com

There are two other threads about "Remote Control for Pentax" (RCFP):
Windows Mobile Pentax Remote - PentaxForums.com
Anyone tried this IR Remote for PPC's? - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 06-02-2018 at 09:46 AM.