Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x and remote software?

Hello,
does anybody know if there will be any remote software for K-x? Something like Pentax Remote Assistant?
That is very important to me. I dont know if I should wait for new body or I should just buy k20d.

Maybe somebody knows something...

09-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomasi Quote
Hello,
does anybody know if there will be any remote software for K-x? Something like Pentax Remote Assistant?
No, and it is not compatible with Remote Assistant.
09-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How do you know? Did anybody tested it? Or maybe there is something in the specifications?
09-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomasi Quote
How do you know? Did anybody tested it? Or maybe there is something in the specifications?
It is stated in the official FAQ in Pentax Japan.

09-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's sthg I really want back! Remote assistant for k-7 and k-x!
09-19-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
That's sthg I really want back! Remote assistant for k-7 and k-x!
Yep, IMO they won't do it for K-x (at least not support it officialy) but would be a nice addition for K-7.
At first they didn't wanna do it for K10D, they did it, so let's put some pressure
09-21-2009, 04:02 AM   #7
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yep, IMO they won't do it for K-x (at least not support it officialy) but would be a nice addition for K-7.
At first they didn't wanna do it for K10D, they did it, so let's put some pressure
I get the feeling that they NEED a remote control software of pro caliber for their 645D and I hope a cut down version will trickle down for higher end APS-C cameras.

Radu

09-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's no surprise to me they don't offer remote software. Their support for the Remote Assistant software was worthless anyway for my K20D.

I have a PC with with Windows Vista Home Premium and I installed the Remote Assistant to use with my K20D. The USB connection works to let me see the images on the memory card in the camera, BUT the Remote Assistant software doesn't work, it doesn't talk to the K20D for some reason. I tried the chat online for assistance and the response was essentially "it must be your computer". Something more specific would have been nice. The other option was to send in the camera under warranty. The camera seems to work ok and I can't afford to not have it for use while waiting on a wild goose chase for my camera to be looked at and told that it works ok.

So, I've never been able to use the remote assistant. It's as if it was never offered with the K20D as far as I'm concerned since it doesn't work.

BB

Note, I downloaded the updates from the Pentax site before I contacted them about it not working.

Last edited by BB_Zone28; 09-25-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add note
09-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think pkremote will work, but it's only for linux
09-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

This is really annoying, since there apparently is no wired remote for K-m and I don't want to / can't use the IR remote.
09-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Always worked perfectly with my K10D and never heard of anyone not managing to connect K20D to the PC.
10-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BB_Zone28 Quote
I have a PC with with Windows Vista Home Premium and I installed the Remote Assistant to use with my K20D. The USB connection works to let me see the images on the memory card in the camera, BUT the Remote Assistant software doesn't work, it doesn't talk to the K20D for some reason.
You have to run it with admin rights. Check the "Run this program as an administrator" box in the properties.

Thank you
Russell
11-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
You have to run it with admin rights. Check the "Run this program as an administrator" box in the properties.

Thank you
Russell
Good grief!!! That's was the problem!

It now captures and displays imagesl!!

Too bad the "experts" couldn't give me that idea to try, but at least it's working now.

Thanks!
11-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

been using my k20d to tether works on xp and vista, no issues
maybe u can try using breezesys dslr remote pro.
it works with all the cameras i have tried so far k20d, 40d, d90, d700
11-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bunegg Quote
been using my k20d to tether works on xp and vista, no issues
maybe u can try using breezesys dslr remote pro.
it works with all the cameras i have tried so far k20d, 40d, d90, d700
Nobody's going to be able to support the K-7 or K-x for tethered shooting unless Pentax allows this with the cameras' firmware. At the moment, if the K-7 is connected to a computer, then all on-camera controls are disabled, and any software on the PC is only able to transfer files - not control the camera remotely. Hence there's no way to trigger the shutter with a PC connected. I've not personally used the K-x yet but believe the same to be the case with that camera too.

I'd really love to see this change - the lack of tethered shooting capability is, to me, the biggest shortcoming of the K-7 as compared to its rivals. There's no real need for remote control of exposure variables or shutter - just allowing the camera to shoot from the on-body controls while tethered would be enough to make the function useful.

That would allow me to set the camera up on a tripod, shoot a bunch of images and have them automatically downloaded to preview them near-immediately on my large, high-res PC display, and confirm whether I needed to reshoot with a minimum of fiddling to either pan/zoom on the camera LCD, or transfer flash cards / connect / disconnect the camera between shots to preview on the PC.