Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Yeah, even with having the K20d, I can't wait to have a camera that uses AAs as well. I already carry a bunch when travelling - Flash, AAs; handheld gps, AAs. camera? why not. If not for the cost, I would love a K7 and the new grip. I honestly think I would probably roll AAs only in the grip alot of the time. I would love it if the K20 grip had that option (as is, I generally have a battery in the grip only, as I don't necessarily need the power, but love the handling)

09-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I am sure this will be temporary, just like every other body ever released.

Jason
I wouldn't be so sure. My info came directly from Pentax that the body-only will not be available at launch, and beyond that is uncertain.

I hope you're right, though.
09-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
AA's are just popular. Face it.

Yep, I'm afraid that AA's are just popular with many people.

I have never regretted my choice in this matter.

Pentax obviously recognise this as well.

All my Hand held Ham radio's, GPS's, Camera's, Tone dialers, CD & Tape players, Portable TV's, the list is endless.

They all use AA's.

I just use a 10x AA / AAA charger and always have plenty to go around.

I get a great cycle life out of them often 5 - 10 years. As apposed to the 2 year half shelf life of Lithium Ion.

Latest AA technologies don't even self discharge much over the period of a year now.

You just can't beat AA's for convenience. And Pentax recognise this big time!

.-.-.
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Me too I was very glad to see that Pentax opted for AA's in the K-x. If the K20D would have had them, I would have bought that one (especially since it's only 699 EUR here, body only; but e.g. 66 EUR for one extra and "this camera only" battery). It will be a K-m or a K-x here.

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Yep, I'm afraid that AA's are just popular with many people.

I have never regretted my choice in this matter.

Pentax obviously recognise this as well.

You just can't beat AA's for convenience. And Pentax recognise this big time!

.-.-.

09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Are they really that light? I always thought Lithium-AA's are really light..

I like having the flexibility of standard batteries, because when they get upgraded (and they will) in the future, your old camera gets an upgrade, along with any other electronics you carry that use AA's . You can choose light and long-lasting lithium vs cheap and rechargable. If you use the (heavier) NiMH the chargers are generic and cheap, with cheap car or USB charging adapters.

AA's are a notable positive for me, but many other features are ranked higher than that for me.
I'm not 100% certain on this, but believe Lithium Ion AA rechargeables to be both rare and expensive, and they certainly would require use of a charger designed specifically for them. Hence I can't compare them. Lithium disposables shouldn't be confused with Lithium Ion rechargeables, obviously.

I'm comparing Energizer 2500mAh NiMH AAs against the custom Lithium Ion battery, on the basis that I don't think it is fair to compare a rechargeable battery against single-use disposables.

The weight of NiMH AAs will of course vary slightly, but not enough to make a big difference to the comparison. In general, you get roughly double the battery life out of the same weight of Lithium Ion custom rechargeables that you would from AA rechargeables...
09-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
The "L" series lenses are for your walmart mom/pop users who are unlikely to buy a second lens, so the durability is irrelevant. This group won't be taking the lens off the body.
Then why are they selling them in bundles?

L stands for lightweight

No lens hood, plastic mount (may not be less durable as plastics can have far less friction and a tighter, more elastic fit), no quick shift.

The 50-200 WR is also smaller than the previous non-WR model, with a smaller filter.

With any DSLR system part of the rationale is to encourage after-market sales of glass and other accessories. The ROI on lens mounts, AF systems, etc., is only apparent if the cost is amortized over a full product range.

Probably, the ideal DSLR kit is 3 lenses. An inexpensive WA zoom would be ideal for most people after mid and long, but pancake primes are back in fashion.
09-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

What does the feature set of the K-x have to do with the lenses you can purchase as an option with the starter kit? If you already have a few lenses, why would you buy the kit anyway?
Jason
The kit lenses come in colors (sans the 50-200 red and any blues) so people want the matching lenses...for one, when/if it comes time to resell it...for another, because they match

It's not a huge deal for me since all my other lenses are "stock black" but without the quick shift feature, there's not really an "incentive" to get a white or red body just to get the colored lenses (I'm thinking of resale value down the road in this regard). A red or white kit lens would look sweeeeeeeet on a red body

How is this a penalty? If you don't want the lenses in the package deal, then why are you concerned with the "deal" itself of the body and lenses? Just buy the body and use your existing lenses.

Jason
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Because it's not available body-only (yet)?
This.
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I wouldn't be so sure. My info came directly from Pentax that the body-only will not be available at launch, and beyond that is uncertain.

I hope you're right, though.
Would be very nice as body-only for the blue cam since there are no blue lenses...

09-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
Veteran Member

It appears that initially only the black camera is getting more than the single lens kit treatment. At least regarding the 55-300mm L - I sent an email to pentax about a white 18-55 and 55-300 combo kit, and they said this was not going to be available (of course that doesn't mean down the road, but I wanted that kit now!).

I didn't care whether the 55-300 was white or not, just wanted the white body/lens and 55-300 black in a kit. Ah well, placed my pre-order for the white kit and will get a 55-300 separately (the hood is nice and quickshift together I suppose make it worth it). Will wait for a used one or good new deal somewhere.
09-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #39
Veteran Member

The K-x will be available body only, soon enough...

The reason the K-m and the K-x were/are first released as kits only is because it is considered a beginner's DSLR by Pentax. I figure Pentax reckons if you are a beginner and you are getting into the DSLR market, you will need lenses, therefore bundling.

I get back to my earlier point, why go from a K200D to a K-x...seems like a sideways move to me. I'd be investing in better lenses and keep a perfectly capable K200D...upgrading bodies later would be a move to a superior body (not just a very similar one, just because of video)

Everyone has a motive I guess.

Jas
09-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I think a lot of people are expecting vastly improved high-ISO performance from the K-x.
09-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
It appears that initially only the black camera is getting more than the single lens kit treatment. At least regarding the 55-300mm L - I sent an email to pentax about a white 18-55 and 55-300 combo kit, and they said this was not going to be available (of course that doesn't mean down the road, but I wanted that kit now!).
You need to go to Japan - yodobashi.com already has more than 100(*) versions of the 55-300 combo kit

(*) they have 206 versions in total, 18-55 only and 18-55+55-300 kits. Not quite sure why there are more than 100 colors, but maybe the black, red and white versions are not counted among the 100 colors?
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Kobayashi!!!!!!

I mean, Yodobashi!!!!!!

Well, I already put my order in for the white K-x, you know the body only will be $50 less when it finally arrives so why not buy the kit - who doesn't want a white lens for their shelf at least! I will be buying the regular 55-300 at some point, but live without the reach for now.

I still agree you are better off investing in some nicer lenses over a 2nd body, as has been said by several other people (unless the reviews of the K-x show it to be a significant improvement over the k200).
09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #43

Original Poster
I am still hoping for a K200D replacement.

Perhaps they'll call it the K-z !

With the K-x replacing the K-m at the bottom of the range and the K7 at the top it leaves an obvious opening for the K200D replacement to slot in.

Also the DA WR lens's will need a suitable body in that market placing to attach to.

I think we will still see a new mid range DSLR camera come out from Pentax.

The question is just when.

.-.-.
09-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Plastic mount? As in the Alloy K mount ring? R U serious? Surely this would wear very fast?

I was thinking of getting a K-x just for the HD video feature.

Also I had heard that there would be a twin lens kit deal which included a DA L 18-55 & 55-300 Lens.

I've been after a DA 55-300 for some time now but the prices have been crazy.
I had hoped it would be a good way to save a few $$$'s and get the new camera and 55-300 at the same time.

However I'm not real fussed on a plastic mount. And I'm surprised that such a cheap item as the lens hood would be left out.

Oh well. Hopefully will see some links for these items on the Pentax site soon.

Or maybe in the Lens data base here on Pentax Forums.

.-.-.
I bought a KM (K2000) in April, 2009. It has the kit 18-55 lens, no lens hood and plastic mount. I'm not too happy about it, shrae your concerns about long term wear and no lens hood...c'mon Pentax.

I don't use the lens that much, usually slap on my 50 mm F1.4 with metal lens mount, but wait a minute...it didn't come with a lens hood either. In that case I bought a cheap rubber folder hood...does ok.

The 18-55 is ok...but it can't compare to my 16-45 Pentax, but then I paid $ 400 Cdn. for that, metal lens mount and lens hood.

I can see the difference in the pix, not great, but there.

The flare from the 18-55 is usuallly a big splotch, the flare on the 16-45 with lens hood, if shooting into direct sun (not advised) is a bunch of little circles like a Cat lens would give you...sort of....

BTW I have a 55-300 for wildlife shots...it's a fabulous lens..really sharp...I love it.
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #45

Original Poster
Oh, I'm sorry to hear you got dicked over with the plastic mount lens. I too would have been pissed.

As for the 55-300mm from Canada, please keep your eye's open for me for good sales. I have wanted one for some time now and expect to see some good bargains from Canada again in the future.

The biggest trouble is most stores there don't like to ship internationally for some reason.
.-.-.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I bought a KM (K2000) in April, 2009. It has the kit 18-55 lens, no lens hood and plastic mount. I'm not too happy about it, shrae your concerns about long term wear and no lens hood...c'mon Pentax.
BTW I have a 55-300 for wildlife shots...it's a fabulous lens..really sharp...I love it.